G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Respraying coupe in black....good or bad choice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:12 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Respraying coupe in black....good or bad choice?

Hey everyone,

I know this is a personal opinion, but I'm thinking to have my coupe changed from brilliant silver to black. First off, I don't live in the US. I imported my G35 coupe a long time ago to Europe. The car is a very rare over here. I've been happy with my silver coupe for over 10 years now. I was rear-ended and I've been looking into repairs. By doing so, I decided to get a new kuruma z front, chargespeed rear, and impul sides. A popular combination in the US, but one I have never seen in person. Since I have to get about 70% of the car repainted anyway, I was thinking to go with black.

Is there any reason not to go with black? Just curious about what other members think about black G's, especially if he or she owns one. I'm running tein 350z h techs with 19 inch PIAA super rozzas. Feel free to post your opinions on why or why not and anything else to consider. Thank you.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
IMO black gives the car a more aggressive look. I went with black because I've always liked the black/chrome scheme. A negative is your gonna have to wash your car all the time. Water spots, dirt, etc are much more noticeable.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:06 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Are you getting a "respray" (like your title suggests) or a real paint job? If its just a respray, then no.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:50 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Are you getting a "respray" (like your title suggests) or a real paint job? If its just a respray, then no.
Agreed if a respray it will show in door jams and under the hood which will look no bueno. If full paint I love flat black and it seems to be less maintenance.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:38 PM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
Sounds like your car is going to look great silver or black. My G is black and I like it but as mentioned above it always looks dirty. Right after a wash, it looks amazing.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:22 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
Your car will look great with those wheels and body kit parts. As far as the color, black is hard to maintain and shows every imperfection. But when its clean and polished with that wet look, nothing rarely looks better.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:30 AM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Ud better do some research on properly caring for paint Before u decide black.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:34 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
youd be better off getting another g35. its gonna cost at least 3-5 grand to fully repaint the car if you want it to come out good.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:09 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by TheJuice401
youd be better off getting another g35. its gonna cost at least 3-5 grand to fully repaint the car if you want it to come out good.
You're missing the point man.

-He said it was imported, and that it's extremely rare in Europe. He can't just "get another G35."

-He was rear-ended, so presumably the insurance company is going to pay for quite a bit of it off the bat. All he needs to do is cover the rest, which won't come out to nearly as much compared to paying completely out-of-pocket.

OP, if you're going to repaint it black, make sure it's a different kind of black that's more unique. That way you can have a one-off G35 in the world . As a caution: every flaw in the paint will show with black. Make sure you find a damn good painter. Also, black is a pain in the *** to take care of as some people have mentioned and you'll have to be extra careful when cleaning it as to not get swirls and scuffs on the paint. And no matter how careful you are, you will eventually get swirls and other marks on it. Every. single. blemish. will. show.

That's why when I got a paint job, I chose a white color. Hides the blemishes well. Plus I tend to lean toward white cars over black for some reason... But that's just me.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:25 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Black is a great color IF you are willing to pay for it. It costs WAY MORE to change colors than do the same color. You mus strip all the weather stripping and mask all the doors and sills, remove all the hardware etc. before painting. Going from a light to dark color presents many problems.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not wrap the car?

Old 02-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for all the comments. Its always interesting to see a different perspective from true enthusiasts compared to the average vehicle owner. I've asked this question to co-workers and other various other individuals, only to find that I was asking the wrong crowd of people. Non-enthusiasts don't care about their cars as much. I've owned my car for 11 years now since purchasing new in 2004. It gets washed at least once a week and I have a silver G.

To answer a few questions, I wanted to stay away from matte black because I feel that its becoming common nowadays within my area. Just a nice paint looks nicer to me in my opinion.

I would consider a wrap, but I haven't seen many wraps where I live. I've seen a matte wrap, but I would want a wrap that looks like a nice paint job. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one like that in person, and I've been to quite a few car shows.

The insurance is paying for most of the repairs, and I would just have to pay for some of it on my own. So, that part is covered. I would consider trying to get another G35 imported, but the problem is I've already had my engine fully forged and supercharged. I know you are probably asking, why supercharge over turbo with a built engine? Again, its due to where I live and the capabilities of the shops doing the tune. Every shop wanted to stay away from a turbo with this car. Its probably due to lack of experience with this engine, which explains why just about every single 350Z that is boosted here is running a supercharger. Sorry to get off topic, but going back to the wrap, its not that common here.

I wouldn't be going with just a respray, it would be the door jams and trunk areas as well. I may ask for the garage doing the work to not worry about the engine bay though to save costs. Knowing that a black car needs more maintenance and care, is that the only thing that there is to worry about? To the owners with a black G, do you regret going black? Would you choose a different color? Why or why not? Thanks for all your help everyone.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:14 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Last time I checked (about 5-6 years ago), it was $3500 for a "color change", no telling what it is now.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:18 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by boosting
Why not wrap the car?
or plastidip.

You can always go back if you don't like it.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:51 PM
Received 211 Likes on 179 Posts
dip now released their Super Gloss Clear coat... It looks REALLY REALLY GOOD!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Respraying coupe in black....good or bad choice?