G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Window/Door Issues - 04 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:43 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Window/Door Issues - 04 Coupe

Year: 04 g35 coupe
Issue: I bought this car aprox 4-5 years ago and have had constant issues with the driver side window/door. Ive had to replace the door lock actuator twice and the window motor once thus far.

The issue I have is after everything is replaced I still have what feels to me like a loose window. I can set the window reset to proper height etc but eventually it will need to be reset over and over again or it trys to close too much or stays open too much. I feel like the window itself is loose to the point I can shimmy it in either direction even once installed & even closing the door dosnt sound healthy. Sounds like its bouncing or loose inside the door.

I can replace parts no problem but I dont have a diagram or good picture of how it should be to know if there is something missing or damaged I simply dont see without tearing apart the passenger side door.

Does anyone have a diagram showing which bolts/nuts/washers go where to reference? Im going to tear it down again this weekend and look at it.

I do know the seal is torn for the driver side up towards the dashboard for the window. This may be allowing some of the associated play with the window movement & I am looking up a replacement part number for it now.

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I have no intentions of taking it into the stealership. They quoted me $800 to replace the driver side lock actuator alone. It was only $200 in parts overnighted & although time consuming it was not $600+ time consuming.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:10 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
There are some felt washers that are easily lost when opening up your door. If you take these out or lose them the door will rattle like crazy for some reason. You could probably make new ones by cutting circles out of an old t-shirt, poking a hole in the middle, and using those as washers to pad. I guess the washers must add some padding so that when you shut the door things won't rattle as much.

I've also found that the bolts are really easy to strip where the inner door cover attaches to the door frame. The one on the pull handle of my drivers side door is partially stripped even though I've only taken it off twice and never come close to putting it on tight or cross-threaded. It rattles a lot when I go over bumps because of that, but if I push outward on the door handle while going over bumps there are no rattles.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
There are some felt washers that are easily lost when opening up your door. If you take these out or lose them the door will rattle like crazy for some reason. You could probably make new ones by cutting circles out of an old t-shirt, poking a hole in the middle, and using those as washers to pad. I guess the washers must add some padding so that when you shut the door things won't rattle as much.

I've also found that the bolts are really easy to strip where the inner door cover attaches to the door frame. The one on the pull handle of my drivers side door is partially stripped even though I've only taken it off twice and never come close to putting it on tight or cross-threaded. It rattles a lot when I go over bumps because of that, but if I push outward on the door handle while going over bumps there are no rattles.
Are these felt washers holding the window to the window rails or are these somewhere else? I am looking up part numbers now, but its a royal pita on this tiny laptop lol!

Here is a pic of the torn seal I am also seeking to replace.

Name:  D56C9315-6097-42D8-98AE-A22756E7E19E_zpsaihqhzdk.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  123.8 KB

Name:  023A9FAA-C429-4AAA-9D47-2916C4D44D2F_zpsob5ctevj.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  103.5 KB

Than

Old 04-07-2015, 10:07 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
I don't honestly remember exactly where those felt washers went. The first time I encountered them was when I was swapping in a new side view mirror after some dickbag in a parking garage maliciously broke mine off. I believe that they went around the main bolts that secure the inner door cover to the door frame but I'm not 100% sure about that. It's been quite some time since I've had that door cover off, with the last time being when I took it off to clean and restore a nonfunctional window motor to a working state about 2 years ago.

How did that piece get ripped? Is that a result of the window moving around so much as you mentioned?

I hate power windows (they inevitably fail, especially if you always like the windows down like me) and also hate beamless doors where the window just sits unsupported up from the door with no upper beam for it to seat into. What a PITA!

Old 04-07-2015, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
I don't honestly remember exactly where those felt washers went. The first time I encountered them was when I was swapping in a new side view mirror after some dickbag in a parking garage maliciously broke mine off. I believe that they went around the main bolts that secure the inner door cover to the door frame but I'm not 100% sure about that. It's been quite some time since I've had that door cover off, with the last time being when I took it off to clean and restore a nonfunctional window motor to a working state about 2 years ago.

How did that piece get ripped? Is that a result of the window moving around so much as you mentioned?

I hate power windows (they inevitably fail, especially if you always like the windows down like me) and also hate beamless doors where the window just sits unsupported up from the door with no upper beam for it to seat into. What a PITA!
Not sure to be honest, it's been ripped on the driver side since I bought the car.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:25 PM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
There is 2 felt pads that sit on the top towards the rear of the door. If you remove the door panel and look between the two pieces of sheet metal where the windows goes you'll see them. I replaced mine quite some time ago.