G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

"I don't have time to change my oil" - STAHP IT.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 04:57 PM
Received 178 Likes on 140 Posts
lol man those sound like some crappy *** places. i mean how simpler can it get than an oil change. idk luckily i have never had an issue with the shops i take it to vut then again i usually sit on the curb infront so i can see that he is using the filter and oil i brought

Old 05-16-2015, 05:19 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Youre making alot of assumptions, like everyone owns a simple car like a G35. Many sports cars has underbody panels that have to be removed. Transverse engines are notoriously difficult to reach the filter. Cars with dry sump system have to be primed prior to starting the car. Some filters on older dodge cars had filter hidden behind the wheel well. Many newer cars have yearly service intervals and involve much more than just a oil change. Many people with new cars get free oil changes. Ect ect.

It is stupid to make generalized statements and try to apply them to everyone. This thread is utterly pointless. OP is a bundle of sticks.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:38 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
How am I generalizing? Is this not an Infiniti G35 forum? I didn't realize I was posting on a Porche forum.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by dEnbOy.GFM
How am I generalizing? Is this not an Infiniti G35 forum? I didn't realize I was posting on a Porche forum.
Did you even read your own thread?

Originally Posted by BundleOfSticks
I had this debate with a coworker today and I see this being said a lot on many automotive forums.
Unless your coworker drives a G35 and all the other automotive forums you are on are also only for G35s, you were making a generalized statement.

Also Porsche is not the only transverse mounted engine and some Porsches are longitudinal mounted.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:30 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Did you even read your own thread?

Unless your coworker drives a G35 and all the other automotive forums you are on are also only for G35s, you were making a generalized statement.

Also Porsche is not the only transverse mounted engine and some Porsches are longitudinal mounted.
Not interested in a pissing match. If my coworker drove a vehicle with an arguably difficult process, I would have said nothing. He drives a PT Cruiser. Probably one of the easiest cars to change the oil on.

I wrote the thread so I know what I said. I did not say ALL other automotive forums. I said MANY. Aside from a handful of brands of vehicles and models, the majority have a relatively simple oil change process. So the majority of people posting on the internet about their cars do not have a vehicle that requires a minor in automotive engineering in order to do simple maintenance.

I know my Porches, I do not need you to school me on that either.

Thanks have a good day.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:58 PM
Ahhh, didnt know all the automotive forums you were speaking of, but failed to mention, all included simple oil changes. I also didnt know that Porsche experts, such as yourself, didnt understand the meaning of the word 'generalized'.

FYI
gen·er·al·ize
ˈjen(ə)rəˌlīz/
verb
past tense: generalized; past participle: generalized
1. make general or broad statement by inferring from specific cases.
Just because an oil change is simple, doesnt mean a person should do it themselves. Again, many new cars have extended oil change intervals and involve more than just a oil change. Many new cars have free maintenance. Some people want receipt history for warranty reasons. Some people simply just dont want to do it. Me for an easy example, my dealership comes to my office, picks my car up, leaves a loaner, does all maintenance (more than just oil change btw) and hand washes/detail/waxes, then delivers it back to me at a time and location of my choice. I get it all done without ever stepping foot out of my office.

Even if your generalized statement was specific only to people with normal cars and normal oil change intervals, as you now claim. You are also making generalized assumptions on the owners and their situations.

Also degrees in engineering has nothing to do with performing maintenance. That would be mechanic certifications.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:19 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
I call BS on an oil change taking 5 minutes on this platform. And I'm one of those that takes an hour or so for an oil change, since I don't have a custom hydrolic lift in my garage that is suited for lowered vehicles. If my car was stock than it wouldn't be so bad.

Not everybody has the means to simply step out of their house and change their oil on the spot, despite how mechanically inclined they are.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:33 PM
^^ OP is a bundle of sticks and makes up numbers. Really takes 1-2 hours. Drive to store to get oil/filter, drive home, let oil cool, get jack, stands, 2x4s, and tools from garage/basement, jack, drain, fill, transfer oil to sealable container, put all equipment back in garage/basement, deliver oil to be disposed of.

Claim you can do it all in 5 minutes? BS

But being honest doesn't help his e-***** match with his coworkers and other various car forums if he said "do-it-yourself in 1-2 hours, to do something that would take same time or less, just to save $40 dollars". You also lose the ability to pretend you 'work on your car' by just doing oil changes.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:49 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Nah, pressed for time (in a competition setting) I guarantee I could do it in under 15 minutes. Including going to oreilly (less than a mile) and picking up supplies. I don't have an underbody shroud tho.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:05 PM
^Even with a parts shop across the street, I still call BS.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:08 PM
^Even with a parts shop across the street, I still call BS.
Physical challenge? And can I drive another car?

Old 05-16-2015, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Physical challenge? And can I drive another car?
Time it and no. Also have to go back after to dispose. $20 paypal if you do it under 15 min.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:13 PM
Time it and no. Also have to go back after to dispose. $20 paypal if you do it under 15 min.
What if its a smart for two? That's almost a disability. Haha

Can I prepare everything first? Or do I have to start when I start breaking out the tools?

I.e. can I lay out all the tools before I start the clock?

Old 05-16-2015, 11:17 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Royal purple oil and oil filter. And $15 to my friend at his shop. $15 well worth not not messing with oil or the clean up... Now I changed my upper control arm a few days back. Did it my self. Thought that the price I was quoted was a bit on the high side. Stopped by the store picked up a 12 pack and got some quality time with my 4 year old son in the garage... Good old times... So to your poin. Most folks here can change oil, but most choose not to. Oil is messy...

Old 05-16-2015, 11:18 PM
Well, yeah, $15, fug it. Not everyone's getting that screamin deal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "I don't have time to change my oil" - STAHP IT.