G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Maintaining our interiors...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintaining our interiors...

My coupe is now 8 months old and I've got about 6500 miles on her so far...5500 of those miles being with zero passengers in the car...Anyways I've used Zaino's z-10 a couple of times now to bring back the leather smell and keep the leather soft...My question to all you detailing junkies is...When you apply leather protectant, do you cover the back of the headrests. the sides of the chair and other areas that aren't in direct contact with our body and sunlight??? Ive used the z-10 on the front passenger seats but never in the backseats, I've only had someone in the backseat maybe 3 times in 8 months...Should I be using the z-10 back there as well??? Or should the leather be ok for now since it doesn't get much use??? Lastly, lol do you guys use the leather conditioners on the dash or door panels? Sorry if this has been covered, I personally haven't seen this type question on the board yet...Maybe its because its a stupid question and I'm a moron, who knows...haha thanks guys

Old 02-20-2005, 06:20 PM
I use Zaino, and any good product is fine.

But yes, you do the whole damn thing !!!
Certainly the seat you are in all time takes the most wear, but leather cracks/fades for many reasons, not just sun and human butts.

If you live in an area where it is either Hot or cold (or both) that will play a big part in the leathers life. Leather dries out, anyone who has ever had a nice leather jacket can show you.

Sun, even without direct contact heats up the car(while parked, etc) on a summer day a car interior can reach 140 degrees F and beyond.

The other poster gives good advice about leather, vacuuming, shampooing (I have a steam cleaner I use for the carpets), wiping down, etc..

Old 02-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Will the Einszett Cockpit Premium work on the LCD of the navigation? That gets mad dusty for me...

Old 02-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Hey guys thanks for the replies...Mr. Elussive I'll def take into account those steps the next time I detail my interior...One question I had was about the back seats...Should I treat those even though nobody rides in them? Or should I just save this expensive *** z-10 lol for the leather that takes the most abuse...Thanks

Old 02-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Thanks MrElusive, the Einsette Cockpit Premium avaialble at all major auto stores like pepboys?

Old 02-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Question. Since leather is alot like your skin in that it needs oils/stable temp to maintain elasticity and health. Do any of you worry that the seat heaters may actually contribute to the leather drying out/cracking prematurely ?

Old 02-20-2005, 11:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by socketz
Question. Since leather is alot like your skin in that it needs oils/stable temp to maintain elasticity and health. Do any of you worry that the seat heaters may actually contribute to the leather drying out/cracking prematurely ?

I have ALWAYS worried about that but since just got my car never had time to question it just yet...anyone?

Old 02-20-2005, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by socketz

I sure as hell hope not...Being that I'm in the Northeast those damn *** warmers stay on 24/7 for me right now...Someone please tell us that it doesn't effect our leather...Cause if it does I'll be freezin my *** on my commute from here on out...lol

Old 02-21-2005, 01:29 AM
Hell, I live in SoCal where it's above 60 degrees most of the time....still use the seat heater religiously. I'm addicted.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Perhaps one of the most important preventive maintenance habits you can do to save your leather is LIFT YOUR A$$ OVER the side bolster when you get in/out of the car. Most people plop their big butts on the left side bolster then shimmy over to the center of the seat when they get in. This accomplishes 3 things: 1) wrinkles the leather 2) dries the leather from rubbin your nice denim jeans across it under high pressure 3) cracks the leather due #1 & 2.

Last edited by hensta; 02-21-2005 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by hensta
Perhaps one of the most important preventive maintenance habits you can do to save your leather is LIFT YOUR A$$ OVER the side bolster when you get in/out of the car. Most people plop their big butts on the left side bolster then shimmy over to the center of the seat when they get in. This accomplishes 3 things: 1) wrinkles the leather 2) dries the leather from rubbin your nice denim jeans across it under high pressure 3) cracks the leather due #1 & 2.
AMEN!!!! The correct process for entrance/egress:

1) Open door.
2) step into car with right foot
3) bend left knee
4) put left hand on rocker, centering body weight on arm
5) put right hand on arm rest
5) move *** over top of seat
6) bring left leg into car
7) lower *** into seat
8) close door with minimum effort to completly latch

Egress is reverse of entrance.

Once you've practised it, it makes total sense and becomes one fluid motion, and your seats will look great for years in conjunction with your Lexol'ing.

- Runner

Old 02-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Omega Enthusiast
Can't go wrong with Lexol conditioner and cleaner.

Has anybody tried using Griot's Garage leather conditioner?