G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Front brakes magically stopped working!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front brakes magically stopped working!

So I was driving around town yesterday doing errands car was fine, then a heavy downpour in the area (car was in garage) then yester night Im trying to go out to an event and the cars pedal is soft as a sponge and brakes don't work...maybe the back will stop the car a little bit but no front brakes.

I did have the vdc, slip, brake lights on for about 2 months now and I read that adding a little brake fluid will make the lights go away...which it did for 3 weeks.

It feels like there is air in the system and pumping them will bring the resistance back but for only like a few seconds. also no leaks anywhere.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:12 AM
"I did have the vdc, slip, brake lights on for about 2 months"
Did you expect the problem to magically disappear?

Old 06-21-2015, 10:40 AM
haha im told that problem exists when the brake fluid is a little low hence I filled it up earlier but im just confused if fluid is full, pads and rotors have enough meat on them what else can be the issue.

I would go to my mechanic but he is closed sunday

Old 06-21-2015, 12:31 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
So many possibilities, we can't cure them here!

Originally Posted by ninten5
haha im told that problem exists when the brake fluid is a little low hence I filled it up earlier but im just confused if fluid is full, pads and rotors have enough meat on them what else can be the issue.
I would go to my mechanic but he is closed sunday
Sounds like you have air in your brake lines. No leaks? One or two small drops can go unnoticed and you'll have air in your lines! Have you been following Nissan's advice in doing a drain/fill on all liquids every 30K miles? Another possibility is you have crud in your lines which will need to be blown out? Are you 100% sure you have enough pad on your front brakes? Your mechanic should be able to pinpoint the reason for your brake failure...Monday.
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 06-21-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:08 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by ninten5
So I was driving around town yesterday doing errands car was fine, then a heavy downpour in the area (car was in garage) then yester night Im trying to go out to an event and the cars pedal is soft as a sponge and brakes don't work...maybe the back will stop the car a little bit but no front brakes.

I did have the vdc, slip, brake lights on for about 2 months now and I read that adding a little brake fluid will make the lights go away...which it did for 3 weeks.

It feels like there is air in the system and pumping them will bring the resistance back but for only like a few seconds. also no leaks anywhere.
You're going to need to pull the wheels off and inspect the brakes. Soft pedal may indicate air, but to have them fail all the sudden like that makes me think you might have a mechanical failure of the brake system. You definitely do not want to keep driving like this.