G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Paranoid New Owner of an 03 6MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 12:31 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by VenomGT9
Probably not something to brag about.
Actually, it was clean as ****. I was really surprised..all of my miles are easy hwy miles tho.

The following users liked this post:
NemesisGee (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 12:43 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
What's the point in worrying so much about your car that you never want to drive it? What's the point in owning the car then? If all you're going to think about is the car breaking down and not drive it as a result, then sell it to someone else who will and you won't have to lose sleep over it anymore. If you properly maintain the vehicle and don't treat it like crap, it'll do it's job and it will hold up just fine. If things break even after that, then there's no amount of worry or work you could have done to prevent it. This is all you need to do:

1. Use OEM Nissan MT oil.
2. Drive the car.

NemesisGee (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 01:48 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dEnbOy.GFM
What's the point in worrying so much about your car that you never want to drive it? What's the point in owning the car then? If all you're going to think about is the car breaking down and not drive it as a result, then sell it to someone else who will and you won't have to lose sleep over it anymore. If you properly maintain the vehicle and don't treat it like crap, it'll do it's job and it will hold up just fine. If things break even after that, then there's no amount of worry or work you could have done to prevent it. This is all you need to do:

1. Use OEM Nissan MT oil.
2. Drive the car.
You're right, there is no point. I know it's insane, hopefully it'll pass with time.

Previous owner had it dealer serviced so I'm sure it's the OEM fluid in there already hence why I'm looking for an alternative GL-4 75W-85.

Also, can anyone confirm if the OEM Nissan fluid is mineral or synthetic?

Old 07-24-2015, 02:37 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
PUt in some new OEM fluid. These trannies are known to have issues with many aftermarket fluids. Get it at Nissan since it is cheaper than at Infiniti for the same product. It's possible that the previous owner had it serviced and they put in nonstandard fluid which could be causing your problems cold shifting.

NemesisGee (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 04:43 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
^ To that point, I tried Redline the first time I changed the MT fluid. It was crap, and shifting became notchy and difficult. Switched back immediately to OEM and fixed the problem. To answer your question, yes, it is mineral.

NemesisGee (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 06:25 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NemesisGee
Thanks Gary! I'm trying to enjoy it but this issue is making me antsy. Had no plans to buy this car, it just happened to be available and too nice too pass up so I bought it. Not quite sure why actually. Lots of amazing info here but too much info makes one me nervous as I don't want this ending up being a money pit. I do have a garage and a daily driver, as I would not have bought it otherwise since I plan to store it for the winter. The dealer here just says go OEM. Just looking for feedback on what you guys are running and if anyone has used the Castrol SyntorqLT (low temperature).
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have an 04 6mt in CB with 140k miles on the original clutch & drivetrain.

Definitely go OEM with your fluid. Your car was designed specifically to work with that fluid, and using a different fluid can only create problems, not solve them.

One thing I've noticed about my car in particular - the more you drive her the better she likes to run. I would get the fluid changed then take her out for a few hundred mile trip. On mine, 140k and she runs as well as the day i got her. Don't worry about the tranny problems you see plastered all over these boards. People who don't have problems don't make threads.

Last edited by jsmith29; 07-24-2015 at 06:29 PM.
NemesisGee (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by dEnbOy.GFM
^ To that point, I tried Redline the first time I changed the MT fluid. It was crap, and shifting became notchy and difficult. Switched back immediately to OEM and fixed the problem. To answer your question, yes, it is mineral.
Was the Redline you used the required 75W-85 GL-4 or was it the earlier 75W-90 GL-4 cause it seems the MT90 is the that isn't compatible. The MT85 has only come out recently and 350z owners have reported good results. I think this transmission is very sensitive to viscosity in that it must be a 75w-85 and not a 75w-90.

Originally Posted by jsmith29
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have an 04 6mt in CB with 140k miles on the original clutch & drivetrain.

Definitely go OEM with your fluid. Your car was designed specifically to work with that fluid, and using a different fluid can only create problems, not solve them.

One thing I've noticed about my car in particular - the more you drive her the better she likes to run. I would get the fluid changed then take her out for a few hundred mile trip. On mine, 140k and she runs as well as the day i got her. Don't worry about the tranny problems you see plastered all over these boards. People who don't have problems don't make threads.
It is OEM in there right now yet still hard to shift when cold. Called 2 dealers today, both recommended OEM but said any GL-4 75w85 should work.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:23 AM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Fuggit man the new revision transmissions are only $1600 BRAND NEW. IT'S A G35, it's going to break accept the fact now and plan for it... Drive it hard and fix it when it breaks. Eventually you'll get to a point where it can take the beating. Then you're a G-driver. Stick with OEM fluids and sensors and go aftermarket basically everywhere else. I know a few people who have the '03 G's with 250,000+ miles on the original 6spd tranny. Driving them feels no good comparing to the revised CD009. I'm not saying you're going to blow trannys left and right but you do have a tranny with known issues and G35's are finicky little brats. If you want to enjoy your car you'll get real familiar with the search functionto fix the little things or you can baby it to hell and keep worrying. Not saying you should have searched about this. Good luck man.

NemesisGee (07-29-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 02:51 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
amsoil

NemesisGee (07-29-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 02:42 AM
Originally Posted by NemesisGee
It is OEM in there right now yet still hard to shift when cold. Called 2 dealers today, both recommended OEM but said any GL-4 75w85 should work.
How do you know that it's OEM fluid in there?

NemesisGee (07-29-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 08:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In your OP it says your G has 36k miles but in your pic its showing 57k. Am I missing something here?

NemesisGee (07-29-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by Void
In your OP it says your G has 36k miles but in your pic its showing 57k. Am I missing something here?
It's probably being displayed in Kilometers in the picture, assuming there's a way to change back and forth between the two (which I'm not sure that there is). 36K miles equates to 58,064 Kilometers, and I'm sure he was just estimating when he said 36K miles.

Last edited by partyman66; 07-28-2015 at 11:48 PM.
NemesisGee (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
How do you know that it's OEM fluid in there?
I'm assuming it's OEM since I have the service records and all service was done at an Infiniti dealer. Now, if they put something else other than OEM, I wouldn't know but why would they not just use the standard OEM?

Originally Posted by Void

Originally Posted by partyman66
It's probably being displayed in Kilometers in the picture, assuming there's a way to change back and forth between the two (which I'm not sure that there is). 36K miles equates to 58,064 Kilometers, and I'm sure he was just estimating when he said 36K miles.

It is actually 57,000KM, I am in Montreal QC. I just converted it to miles, bit it's a Canadian car, you can tell by the speedometer having the speed displayed in large KM's..

Old 07-29-2015, 04:06 PM
On another note, I've been in touch with Rockland Standard Gear, a supplier and re-builder of transmissions/diffs/transfer cases for many OEM's and race teams. They told me any 75W fluid will be tough to shift when cold. Suggestions were to use GM/Dodge synchromesh. I'll be mixing 1/2-quart with the OEM fluid. Synthetics are not always recommended, some are too slippery to provide bite for the synchros to work properly. If you stick with a GL-4 spec oil or less and avoid putting GL-5 you'll be fine.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:20 PM
Received 337 Likes on 288 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Paranoid New Owner of an 03 6MT

I do not understand why you are so head-strongly determined to put something other than the OEM fluid in, even to the point of concocting some witches brew (never a good idea to blend different fluids). It is well documented that Nissan transmissions are finicky in their need to use the Nissan fluids around which they were designed as a system. Multiple posters here have said this. You are paranoid about longevity and yet you are hellbent to do something against advice which will almost certainly ensure your fears are realized.

NemesisGee (07-29-2015)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Paranoid New Owner of an 03 6MT