G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Crazy cheap rear wheel hub

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy cheap rear wheel hub

I'm I planning on buying new bearing for my rear because I have that annoying humming sound.I was looking online I found a wheel hub for like $24 on Amazon should I get or should I avoid this cheap thing but not all cheap things suck so idk what to do, this is a steel.

Ppl on The reviews said they were sceptic at the beginning but it turned out great just a tight fit when putting the wheels.

Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DMA...ar+bearing+hub

Old 10-10-2015, 08:17 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Terry_G35
I'm I planning on buying new bearing for my rear because I have that annoying humming sound.I was looking online I found a wheel hub for like $24 on Amazon should I get or should I avoid this cheap thing but not all cheap things suck so idk what to do, this is a steel.

Ppl on The reviews said they were sceptic at the beginning but it turned out great just a tight fit when putting the wheels.

Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DMA...ar+bearing+hub
I personally don't see a problem with those hubs. However, you have to calculate the total cost. You still need the bearings, one for each side, you also need to calculate the cost of installing the bearing, unless you have a press and plan on doing it yourself.

Why are you replacing the hubs? Typically nothing goes wrong with the hub, you can buy the bearings, use the old hubs and have the bearings removed and replaced by a local machine shop. I bought my bearings from rockauto.com and paid $60 to have both bearings replaced. Just a thought, good luck with your decision.

Rockauto also has the rear bearing and hub as an assembly for $113 per side + shipping.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by wuzz-upp
I personally don't see a problem with those hubs. However, you have to calculate the total cost. You still need the bearings, one for each side, you also need to calculate the cost of installing the bearing, unless you have a press and plan on doing it yourself.

Why are you replacing the hubs? Typically nothing goes wrong with the hub, you can buy the bearings, use the old hubs and have the bearings removed and replaced by a local machine shop. I bought my bearings from rockauto.com and paid $60 to have both bearings replaced. Just a thought, good luck with your decision.

Rockauto also has the rear bearing and hub as an assembly for $113 per side + shipping.
I was planning on just buying the bearing but from reading threads, they say that the fact if you ride with a messed up bearing mostly likely that will damage the hub as well so just wanted to be on the safe side.

And for the bearings I also found some timken bearings Cheap for $47 each

Here's the bearings
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000I...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Old 10-11-2015, 10:02 AM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
I was planning on just buying the bearing but from reading threads, they say that the fact if you ride with a messed up bearing mostly likely that will damage the hub as well so just wanted to be on the safe side.

And for the bearings I also found some timken bearings Cheap for $47 each

Here's the bearings
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000I...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
I don't disagree that it is possible for the hubs to get damaged, but I would say that in most cases, that would not happen. IMO, you would really have to drive on some really bad bearings before a hub gets damaged.

The choice is totally yours and having a brand new set of Hub/Bearings ready to swap out is a more efficient use of your time than removing the set and then replacing the the bearings. Your vehicle down time will be less and the extra few bucks for the hubs IMO, is really peanuts. I would have no problem in purchasing the items you have identified on this thread and going for it. BTW, this might be a good opportunity to change the oil in your rear drive axle and to do some brake work if needed.

The following users liked this post:
Terry_G35 (11-19-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 11:06 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by wuzz-upp
I don't disagree that it is possible for the hubs to get damaged, but I would say that in most cases, that would not happen. IMO, you would really have to drive on some really bad bearings before a hub gets damaged. .
I would agree. I've measured each hub I removed from my bad wheel bearings and all had perfect runout. Nothing seemed "bad" at all and I reused them.

Every wheel bearing thread mentions "replacing the hub to be safe" but I've yet to hear someone actually confirm a hub went bad from riding on a wheel bearing, nor anyone giving a technical reason to why they feel their hub was bad

All my bearings were internally galled, so they vibrated and were noisy, but thye were still tight. I don't see how the hub can get damaged from that scenario

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 10-14-2015 at 11:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Terry_G35 (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 08:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the response Im going to buy the hubs and see if they are any good for that price. And I really wanted to just change the bearings but at the same time it would save me so much time because all I have to do is swap it out instead of taking out and putting which is APITA based on videos and DIYs.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:54 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Thanks everyone for the response Im going to buy the hubs and see if they are any good for that price. And I really wanted to just change the bearings but at the same time it would save me so much time because all I have to do is swap it out instead of taking out and putting which is APITA based on videos and DIYs.
For the first wheel bearing I did, I bought the hub.

For the second one, sinc ei had my old bearing and hub, I just pressed out the hub. A bit of a PITA, but when the part was a spare, I could spend the time to get it done.