G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Trade my 03' Coup for 05' Boxster?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the m3 convertible is acutally available in the SMG transmission. Its the best of two worlds. Its an automatic transmission with a computer clutch.

Old 02-24-2005, 09:00 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Buddha
the m3 convertible is acutally available in the SMG transmission. Its the best of two worlds. Its an automatic transmission with a computer clutch.
^^totaly Agree....
The SMG almost got me into a 330ci instead of the G.
I have a screwed up left knee & can no longer tolerate a
6m in traffic

Old 02-24-2005, 01:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
boxter=girl car. dont buy the cheap one, get atleast a carrera. if ur getting a boxter it must be boxter S otherwise its a waste in my opinion

Old 02-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS
Sure the '05 S is the way to go, but if you are choosing not to afford it, well hey, the standard issue Boxster is still awesome. Even in standard trim, the level of performance of the new Boxster exceeds that found in our Gs. Not as utile, but for sporting pleasure, I think those who know would agree. Emphasis on new '05 model for those comments btw.

As for ATs watering things down, yeah, the Maclaren SLR and its 5AT tiptronic are watered down, I'm sure. Though I will never get a chance to drive one, that's what it looks like to me in the videos I've seen. 0-60 in less than 4 seconds. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Porsche was first to employ tiptronic ATs in mass production, to my knowledge. They've definitely perfected the technology (actually Infiniti has done a great job too). Mercedes employs it rather than manuals or electrohydraulically controlled clutches (aston martin, bmw, ferrari) because harnessing 600 hp is a wee bit of a chore (say in a CL65 AMG, which also has 738 ft.lbs of torque!) for a direct mechanical connection, and doesn't jive with the company philosphy (very few ehcc boxes are smooth, even today- just read the 4 season comments on the Z4's SMG in one of this month's mags). The M5 is not available in a standard. It seems pretty watered down. Ferrari has been quoted as saying the 90% of the F430s sold will be ordered with the F1 box. The Enzo was never sold with a manual. Both Porsche and BMW are looking at corporate variations of Audi's DSG for upcoming models.

For anyone thinking the Boxster is a chick car, wave your pink scarf at them as you blow their doors off. The Boxster is killer, perhaps one of the most beautiful designs put to sheet metal, even better in its second iteration. And has performance to back up the looks. Don't let anyone try and convince you otherwise.

Old 02-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buddha
True, but the problem with the M3 convertible SMG is you're looking at a price of about $65k out the door.

Old 02-24-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by derek
For anyone thinking the Boxster is a chick car, wave your pink scarf at them as you blow their doors off.
For the price, you're not going to be blowing many doors off with a Boxster.

I agree with the pink scarf comment though - a guy who wants to drive an automatic sports car deserves a Boxster and the pink scarf.

The Boxster is killer, perhaps one of the most beautiful designs put to sheet metal, even better in its second iteration.
YOUR opinion. Not everyone likes the look of the Boxster. I certainly don't. When I hear Porsche Boxster, the first thing that comes to mind, is "awe, how cute... (along the lines of a VW Beetle)" "Killer" is furthest from my mind.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:02 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Originally Posted by madchef
As long as it's the S, then I say do it.

The new styling is great, and it's a blast to drive

Same with me, if its the "S" definitely do it, i love the new Boxter S man, totally different from any previous boxter

Old 02-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by MrElussive
Since you wanna get it in auto, I say don't do it. It's people like you that are ruining and watering down Porsche and everything the name stands for.

That's not nice dude. Everyone has got thier own flavor so let it be.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Running for his life!!
If you want the Boxer, go for it. Whatever your heart tells you. I'm a little bored of my G, so I got a bike. If you want a thrill and stress ride a sports bike.

Old 02-24-2005, 10:07 PM
The new boxster is really nice.

Since you want a slushbox, i would at least wait until next year when porsche unveils their twin plate semi-manual (aka DSG). Tip is sooooo 80s. If you can spring for the S, I'd do it, but honestly I'd rather take the base over a G, Z vette or anything. You guys talk about bang4buck, overpriced yada...hav e you seen the new boxster interior?

Some pple only are interested in numbers - some arent, we pay what something is worth to us. I really wanted to buy a C6, but after you spend time in a mercedes....why do you want to roll a chrysler?

Its the same think folks, porsche *used* to be a sports car company - but they almost went under. So now they are builders of *Luxury* sports cars. Big diff IMO.

That said, the real bang4buck right now are 01-03 911TT, they can be had for %75-85, have totally pimped interiors (full leather blah, blah) and have a bulletproof 420HP motor, which is easily modded ($2k) to 490HP. There see! you get the legendary german precision building, killer interior, AND the monster motor...and the sound of those K16s on full boost....

I digress.

keep your G until DSG is out, then go buy your slushbox poseur porsche!

Old 02-25-2005, 04:35 PM
then go buy your slushbox poseur porsche!
Very well said! My thoughts exactly!

Old 02-25-2005, 08:15 PM
I would wait for the Cayman S.

Old 02-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Since you wanna get it in auto, I say don't do it. It's people like you that are ruining and watering down Porsche and everything the name stands for.
Excuse me, but isn't Porsche making and selling the cars with auto transmissions? How can you claim that the consumer is responsible?

Old 02-25-2005, 08:43 PM
It is hard to prove my point since you also drive an auto.
You say that as though you think I don't know how to drive a stick. I know how to walk but I often chose to drive. I just think that your point about Porsche is so restrictive that it doesn't allow the flexibility of evolution within the brand. Some would argue that Porsche would be extinct where it not for the sale of auto trans cars.