G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Cellphone holder / mount for our cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 12:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cellphone holder / mount for our cars?

Hey guys!

Do you guys have any recommendations for something to hold a cell phone? I shop on amazon mostly! I have an 05' Coupe! Thanks!

Old 01-26-2016, 12:22 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Remove the ashtray and find a similarly sized generic cubby sleeve for that '86 Toyota look.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Remove the ashtray and find a similarly sized generic cubby sleeve for that '86 Toyota look.
Love those cars. I'll check it out since I never use the ashtray anyway. Whatcha mean by cubby sleeve though? Thanks!!

Old 01-26-2016, 12:32 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by mjfenix
Love those cars. I'll check it out since I never use the ashtray anyway. Whatcha mean by cubby sleeve though? Thanks!!
Like when you have a double din stereo hole, but a single din headunit, the dash kit will come with a plastic cubby thing so that there's not a gaping hole there.

Or like in our cars if you don't have nav, there's that plastic tray under the flip door above the radio. It would otherwise just be a gaping hole, so they put a tray there to make it look better and serve a function.

The following users liked this post:
mjfenix (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 09:48 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I thought about the one from Proclip that mounts to the side of the console, but in the end I bought one off Amazon that sticks to the windshield.

I'm using this one
Amazon.com: iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6s Plus 6s 5s 5c, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note  4 3, Google Nexus 5 4, LG G3.: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6s Plus 6s 5s 5c, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 4 3, Google Nexus 5 4, LG G3.: Cell Phones & Accessories

I hate things stuck to the windshield, but given the age of the car I stopped caring. I don't use the factory NAV anymore, so this one allows me to put the phone right next to the nav screen so I can use Waze as my nav device. Pretty stable and doesn't bounce much

mjfenix (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 10:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mjfenix (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 12:09 PM
Thanks a bunch! I ended up getting the window/dash one listed above on amazon yesterday-- good reviews though. I TRIED one of those damn vent magnetic ones and it was awful for my purposes, decided to return it. Appreciate the suggestions!

Old 01-27-2016, 01:48 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
I personally like the ProClip mounting solution. They have 2 mounts for the G35, next to steering wheel, and to the right of the radio. They clip onto the center console, so don't block a vent. Little pricey, but I drive a lot and wanted a good mount to use my phone for navigation, music, etc. I do still have the lower angled mount laying around btw.

My post in a similar thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/...ml#post6989325
Originally Posted by LoSt180
I've been using a ProClip (www.proclipusa.com) mount system for a few years now. They have a two-part system where you need the vehicle specific mount, plus the phone specific mount. I got an adjustable "universal" phone mount since I figured I'd change phones more than my car, has worked with my S2 and now S5. I actually use my CD player, and didn't want a suction mount on my windshield. Only downfall is the full setup can be a little pricey, but for as much time as I spend in the car it was totally worth it.

For the G35, they have a "center" and an "angled" mount. I've tried both and they are a perfect setup if you use your phone for Nav, pandora, or use something like Torque Pro to monitor your car. I drive a lot, so I'll admit to geeking out to all of those. I used the angled mount for a few years, it puts the phone right about the same level as the volume control, so it's easy to reach to change songs on your phone or what ever. The position doesn't block any vents or dash/HVAC buttons either since the phone sits off to the side. About a month ago I changed to the center mount for a few reasons, it put the phone at a better "glance" position for nav usage and my wife would constantly knock the angled mount off the center console with her purse. Only downfall to the center mount is that I sometimes hit it with my knuckles when putting in the key, and it slightly obscures view of the defrost & fan speed buttons. I normally leave my system at a set temp with the AUTO function so it's not an issue, but if you're the type that constantly messes with fan speed you might find it annoying.

Anyway, I didn't mean for this to turn into a ProClip review, lol. If you check out the site and like what you see, I do have an angled mount I'll sell for pretty cheap to save a few bucks (you'll still need to purchase the device holder).

http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-...oupe/2006.cmsv

Old 01-27-2016, 02:56 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by LoSt180
I personally like the ProClip mounting solution. They have 2 mounts for the G35, next to steering wheel, and to the right of the radio. They clip onto the center console, so don't block a vent. Little pricey, but I drive a lot and wanted a good mount to use my phone for navigation, music, etc. I do still have the lower angled mount laying around btw.
I never got that one because It looks like you still need to buy a cell phone holder to attach to the proclip as well.

Ended up with the windshield one just because I move around in a few different cars. Nowadays I use WAZE strictly for Nav so I need my phone where I can see it.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:34 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I never got that one because It looks like you still need to buy a cell phone holder to attach to the proclip as well.

Ended up with the windshield one just because I move around in a few different cars. Nowadays I use WAZE strictly for Nav so I need my phone where I can see it.
Yeah, it's a 2 part system. One car specific mount, and then the phone/tablet specific mount. It's extremely customization, and who doesn't like customizing things?

I have their universal (adjustable) phone mount and have already gone thru two different car mounts. I use Waze also, hardly ever pop up the built in nav. The center mount puts the phone at about the same level as the stock screen, so it's easy to glance over, and I don't have a huge contraption stuck to the window obstructing my view.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:36 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Get one with built-in QI charging if your phone supports it. I have the ZeroEdge one and it works great with my Galaxy S5 through a thick Ballistic Tough Jacket case.

It comes with two mounting bases... one vent clip style and the other is an adhesive buffed suction cup. I would only use the suction cup on a windshield as people reported these types ripping off a chunk of the dash when they tried to remove it on some vehicles where they adhered it directly to a dashboard.

I use the vent clip mount in my Tacoma and windshield suction cup in the G so I only need to move the charging plate/holder when going back and forth between cars. That suction cup really sticks on there with some serious force. I haven't tried the vent clip yet on the G35 so I'm not sure how it will work with our vents, but I use that every day in my Tacoma this time of year where it's my daily driver.

Amazon.com: Z-Edge 3221817 Triple Coil Qi Wireless Car Charger Dock for Qi-Enabled Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Z-Edge 3221817 Triple Coil Qi Wireless Car Charger Dock for Qi-Enabled Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories

Last edited by partyman66; 01-27-2016 at 07:41 PM.