G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

oil catch can

Old 02-08-2016, 08:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
oil catch can

What oil catch can are you guys using ?

Old 02-08-2016, 08:52 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Oil catch can, there are hundreds on the market so you have many choices! Make sure you buy one that's sealed and doesn't have a breather on the top! I'm using one from the C7 Corvette for no particular reason except it's bitchen!
Gary

Old 02-09-2016, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Oil catch can, there are hundreds on the market so you have many choices! Make sure you buy one that's sealed and doesn't have a breather on the top! I'm using one from the C7 Corvette for no particular reason except it's bitchen!
Gary
Ok cause i was about to get one with a breather. Does it usually come with everything i need or do i have to buy adapters and hoses?

Old 02-10-2016, 04:01 AM
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
you cannot use one with a breather, you need to maintain a closed system.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:01 AM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
Mishimoto

Old 02-10-2016, 06:27 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a breather catch can setup.

Runs a T setup. One end of the can goes to the Passanger Valve Cover. The other end goes to the rear of the Driver Valve Cover. For smell, the catch can has oil soaking pads that elimiate all smell.

Good Setup for my usage.

Simpler setup is passanger valve cover - > Catch Can - > input on Plenum.

You will need to check per oil change for any oil in the container.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by CV35Driver

Runs a T setup. One end of the can goes to the Passanger Valve Cover. The other end goes to the rear of the Driver Valve Cover. For smell, the catch can has oil soaking pads that elimiate all smell.

Good Setup for my usage.

Why is yours setup that way. Is there any benefit doing it the way u have it?

Old 02-10-2016, 08:32 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by EPiK
you cannot use one with a breather, you need to maintain a closed system.
Exactly!
Originally Posted by CV35Driver
Good Setup for my usage.
OMG, this is exactly why we told you NOT to get a catch can with a breather, you need one that is closed! No pads to eliminate stinky oil smells and you can go a whole year before using a turkey baster to empty it out! SEARCH catch can install! Any catch can you order will come with everything you need to install...no worries!
Gary

Old 02-10-2016, 08:48 PM
Exactly!

OMG, this is exactly why we told you NOT to get a catch can with a breather, you need one that is closed! No pads to eliminate stinky oil smells and you can go a whole year before using a turkey baster to empty it out! SEARCH catch can install! Any catch can you order will come with everything you need to install...no worries!
Gary
Lol ok just making sure. I hate doing **** twice. Im ordering alot for my car for the spring so i wanna get the correct stuff. So far i got inner outter tie rods, cabin air filter, bushings and im getting a catch can , gonna do a compression test, change end links. And probably a 2way active system

Are moog end links ok? And ive asked before with no answer. ...what boot do i need for tien tie rods. Will stock size boot fit?

Old 02-11-2016, 12:33 AM
Exactly!

Gary
Thanks for the help Gary. So far, the breather has no smell at all and has been helping my minor oil consumption issue. I will be going into a closed system in the coming weeks/months.

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2016, 01:47 AM
Here is mine. Old GReddy catch can. Driver and passenger valve cover ports into one side. Single hose out to intake. Closed system.

I need to do some work on it however. I emptied it out a few weeks ago and took a lot of nasty oil condensate out. I need to create a divider between the inlet ports and the outlet port. I'm seeing that condensate being pulled straight thru the can and into the intake. May also play with a restrictor on the line out to the intake.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:59 AM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
There ya go

Old 02-11-2016, 11:34 AM
I agree. Baffled catch can is essential for a closed system. Goal is to keep oil out of the intake manifold. In the long run, your valvetrain stays clean and so does your intake tract for long term performance. I do advise swapping the PCV One time if installing to eliminate any problems that may come down the road.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:12 PM
I put a new pcv in at the time I built this system. I do need to install some baffles somehow though. Or at least some stainless steel wool as a strainer for the while till I get it baffled.

I noticed a lot of oil vapor residue on the inside of the plenum when I installed my spacer last week. I think I may buy some more new hose and reroute the can. Maybe move it to the other side of the engine bay.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:17 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
so why did u not run the outlet to the manifold port?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: oil catch can