G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Did I get screwed? 05' Coupe 6MT NON-REVUP???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sick_sixspeed
How much did you pay for the car? And the lowering springs should of been the first indication to run away!
I saw the lowering springs as an added value. I have the OEM Springs too. I was going to drop it anyways so it is a plus IMO.

Also, the car is physically in excellent condition.... Other than this engine debacle. Pioneer head unit already installed to replace the problematic OEM head unit. Already has the oil filter sandwich plate done, all fluids and filters were done.

Oh and two sets of OEM Rays. With new winter rubber on one set and a decent reset of summers on the other.

Cosmetically it's really really good..... If it weren't for this engine thing it would be the buy of the year IMO.

Paid $8,400 CDN.

Last edited by Booyah; 03-26-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:16 PM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
$6300 USD isn't bad at all man. Since you don't have the Rev-Up that means you don't have to buy the Mrev2 lower plenum. Love the color and GL on your future endeavors with the G.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:23 PM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
You have two options, you can take the car back and get your money back. Or, you can have them install a new rev-up motor. I'm sure your lawyer won't have a problem getting them to make right on the sale, after all they did misrepresent the car.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:37 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
not only revup motors are susceptible to the oil consumption issue.
I got 05 AT non revup and it consumes oil.

Look into returning the car. It is clear that he has lied to you regarding what is wrong with the car and what was done. Chances are that it was the engine problem when seller told you and not the ECU so they swapped for the first engine he found which is non rev.

As far as power, you are not missing out on much, what you are missing out is your engine running inefficiently. Those ECU coded trigger a "safe map" in your ECU because it's missing a vital sensor data from your sensors that are not hooked up.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by JOKER
not only revup motors are susceptible to the oil consumption issue.
I got 05 AT non revup and it consumes oil.

Look into returning the car. It is clear that he has lied to you regarding what is wrong with the car and what was done. Chances are that it was the engine problem when seller told you and not the ECU so they swapped for the first engine he found which is non rev.

As far as power, you are not missing out on much, what you are missing out is your engine running inefficiently. Those ECU coded trigger a "safe map" in your ECU because it's missing a vital sensor data from your sensors that are not hooked up.
Interesting... The "safe map" does make sense.

When he told me it was the wrong ECU he said it was an easy fix and that he had already been in touch with Specialty Z in regards to getting UpRev and a tune to reprogram the ECU to work with the car. Of course we now know it's the other way around.

Is there anyone who can confirm this is possible? Ie: Reprogram the revup ECU with UpRev to work properly with the non rev VQ35DE?

Old 03-27-2016, 01:52 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Booyah
Interesting... The "safe map" does make sense.

When he told me it was the wrong ECU he said it was an easy fix and that he had already been in touch with Specialty Z in regards to getting UpRev and a tune to reprogram the ECU to work with the car. Of course we now know it's the other way around.

Is there anyone who can confirm this is possible? Ie: Reprogram the revup ECU with UpRev to work properly with the non rev VQ35DE?
if the sensor data exists on non revup motor than it would be impossible because ECU still needs that data.
If non revup ECU does not rely on that data, I'd assume there is a way to block that data from the ECU so that is uses all, but that data to map the fuel to air ratio.

That would have to be confirmed though by someone who actually did any kind of ECU programming as they would know what you can and cannot block in ECU.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:50 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Used cars are sold as is. Especially a 10+ year old car. The price you paid is a bargain. Have you heard the phrase "you get what you pay for"

Old 03-28-2016, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by sick_sixspeed
Used cars are sold as is. Especially a 10+ year old car. The price you paid is a bargain. Have you heard the phrase "you get what you pay for"
How bout, "If it's too good to be true, it probably is"

Finally heard back from the guy who sold me the car... He was very apologetic and explained what happened. He had an Infiniti tech do the engine swap... The car was in fact throwing the P0300 code and they tried everything to fix the problem on the original revup. In the end they decided to do an engine swap. Because of cost and time constraints he found a VQ35DE and stuck it in. The P0300 code went away but they could not find a work around for the cam position sensors.

He offered to buy the car back when he can get some money together... It seems to me the consensus is that I got a hell of a deal. It's a great platform, a really fun car to drive and I'm going to enjoy it.

After doing A LOT of research I have asked that he ship me the heads and timing cover off the original motor. These heads have VVT on the exhaust and intake and contain the missing sensors on the exhaust side the ECU is searching for. From what I've read in posts across the G/Z forums they are compatible with this block and will bolt right on. I have found a couple examples of guys putting revup heads on non-rev blocks and you can run them with w/o VVT (install a cam position sensor plug) or run them with VVT (swap in a revup ECU). Of course the ECU isn't a problem for me so it should work.

Finger crossed.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:31 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
^^There's more to a revup than just the heads. They have a beefier oil pump for example. Might as well have them send you the complete old engine if he still has it. Then use it as a base for a mild rebuild (new pistons & rods, etc). Or I'd have them find you a replacement revup and install that, maybe even offer to pay for part of it.

Sounds like the seller knows he misled you and it at least open to making it right. Hopefully not just giving you lip service until you leave him alone.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:29 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
How bout, "If it's too good to be true, it probably is"

Finally heard back from the guy who sold me the car... He was very apologetic and explained what happened. He had an Infiniti tech do the engine swap... The car was in fact throwing the P0300 code and they tried everything to fix the problem on the original revup. In the end they decided to do an engine swap. Because of cost and time constraints he found a VQ35DE and stuck it in. The P0300 code went away but they could not find a work around for the cam position sensors.

He offered to buy the car back when he can get some money together... It seems to me the consensus is that I got a hell of a deal. It's a great platform, a really fun car to drive and I'm going to enjoy it.

After doing A LOT of research I have asked that he ship me the heads and timing cover off the original motor. These heads have VVT on the exhaust and intake and contain the missing sensors on the exhaust side the ECU is searching for. From what I've read in posts across the G/Z forums they are compatible with this block and will bolt right on. I have found a couple examples of guys putting revup heads on non-rev blocks and you can run them with w/o VVT (install a cam position sensor plug) or run them with VVT (swap in a revup ECU). Of course the ECU isn't a problem for me so it should work.

Finger crossed.
I'm not buying his story about the Infiniti tech. If by Infiniti Tech, he means a guy who used to do the oil changes at Infiniti before he got fired for stealing supplies from the dealership... then maybe. No certified Infiniti tech would do that swap at a dealership or even recommend it without the right ECU unless they were crooked as hell. Many states won't even give you an inspection sticker with the CEL on or all the readyness tests in the PASSED condition. A dealer can't put a motor in knowing that and blatantly not abide by potential emissions standards... way too much to lose for them.

He probably wouldn't buy I back anyways unless he feels he sold it way to cheap and can get more for it. This guy will never randomly stumble across $6800 and buy I back and probably just doesn't want you to try to sue him. How long have you had the car for anyways?

This guy probably does stuff like this all the time through that site you bought it on.

I'd look into how much a used 03/04 6MT ECU goes for on Ebay and if it'a fully compatible with an '05 G35 chassis, harness, VDC sustem and immobilizer. One will probably pop up for a 6MT at some point or maybr you can call junkyards. You may end up having to also get all that immobilizer key stuff too but I bet you can find a used package for around 200 or less on Ebay... probably more at a junkyard.

Last edited by partyman66; 03-28-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by partyman66
I'm not buying his story about the Infiniti tech. If by Infiniti Tech, he means a guy who used to do the oil changes at Infiniti before he got fired for stealing supplies from the dealership... then maybe. No certified Infiniti tech would do that swap at a dealership or even recommend it without the right ECU unless they were crooked as hell. Many states won't even give you an inspection sticker with the CEL on or all the readyness tests in the PASSED condition. A dealer can't put a motor in knowing that and blatantly not abide by potential emissions standards... way too much to lose for them.

He probably wouldn't buy I back anyways unless he feels he sold it way to cheap and can get more for it. This guy will never randomly stumble across $6800 and buy I back and probably just doesn't want you to try to sue him. How long have you had the car for anyways?

This guy probably does stuff like this all the time through that site you bought it on.
I've had the car just over a month... I bought it out of province so I had to have a Vehicle Safety Inspection done to get it registered. Took it to my local Toyota dealership as I know them well and have been happy with their work on my wife and I's vehicles in the past. Car passed with flying colours. I asked about the CEL/SES and the tech told me it's irrelevant for the safety inspection.

As far as the Infiniti tech goes I just know he said he was a journeyman at the Infiniti dealer and he and the tech worked on it after hours to get the engine swapped. He said they ran the VIN at the dealership and the engine code appeared correct so they put it in. In my original post I stated that the tech was a buddy of his so it probably didn't go though the normal channels in their service department.

It's an 11 year old car... and i paid $8,400 CDN for it, at the time this was only $6,000 USD!... For its age and price it is in VERY good shape. I put her up on jack stands and crawled under the car this weekend, looks really good. No leaks or seepage anywhere, nothing out of place or suspicious. THIS IS A CANADIAN CAR and for it to be rust free is nothing short of a miracle... and before you ask The Carproof and Carfax came back clean.

It's still a really good starting point is what I'm getting at... If I can get this sorted out to my satisfaction I will be happy. As far as suing him, I still haven't ruled it out. We'll see how this all plays out.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:58 PM

I'd look into how much a used 03/04 6MT ECU goes for on Ebay and if it'a fully compatible with an '05 G35 chassis, harness, VDC sustem and immobilizer. One will probably pop up for a 6MT at some point or maybr you can call junkyards. You may end up having to also get all that immobilizer key stuff too but I bet you can find a used package for around 200 or less on Ebay... probably more at a junkyard.
Ya I don't know if an 03-04 ECU is an easy solution. Like you said there are a lot of other potential issues.

The other solution may be to see if someone can reprogram my 05' revup ECU and just eliminate the exhaust cam from the parameters so it runs wo/ throwing CEL/SES. Still haven't heard anyone chime in on this... Anyone?

Old 03-28-2016, 01:44 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
I've had the car just over a month... I bought it out of province so I had to have a Vehicle Safety Inspection done to get it registered. Took it to my local Toyota dealership as I know them well and have been happy with their work on my wife and I's vehicles in the past. Car passed with flying colours. I asked about the CEL/SES and the tech told me it's irrelevant for the safety inspection.
I was referring to emissions inspection. Your state must not do emissions. I know states like mine (Massachusetts), NY, and CA have emissions testing that requires the CEL to be both off and in the Emissions Test Ready state (which usually means all the individual readyness tests have passed, although some states give you leniency on one of those).

If the car is in as good of condition as you say, it sounds like you still got a decent price on it depending on the mileage. It would be nice if you could find and swap in a clean and tight Rev-Up motor and then sell your current one to recoup some of the price difference.... but this would work best if you have the tools and knowledge or willingness to learn how to swap it yourself. Labor charges to pay someone else to do that will probably ring up another $500-800.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was referring to emissions inspection. Your state must not do emissions. I know states like mine (Massachusetts), NY, and CA have emissions testing that requires the CEL to be both off and in the Emissions Test Ready state (which usually means all the individual readyness tests have passed, although some states give you leniency on one of those).

If the car is in as good of condition as you say, it sounds like you still got a decent price on it depending on the mileage. It would be nice if you could find and swap in a clean and tight Rev-Up motor and then sell your current one to recoup some of the price difference.... but this would work best if you have the tools and knowledge or willingness to learn how to swap it yourself. Labor charges to pay someone else to do that will probably ring up another $500-800.
This sounds like the best approach to me. See if he will send you some money to help recover the cost of getting the engine situation straightened out. You just gave him $8,400 CDN, he shouldn't have to "come up" with a thousand or two of that. If he won't agree to that, I'd strongly consider pursuing legal action.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by dillon_b12
This sounds like the best approach to me. See if he will send you some money to help recover the cost of getting the engine situation straightened out. You just gave him $8,400 CDN, he shouldn't have to "come up" with a thousand or two of that. If he won't agree to that, I'd strongly consider pursuing legal action.
Thanks for the advice guys!

Our beautiful province does not do any emissions test whatsoever. So not worries there.

When I start contemplating an engine change my mind always ends up in the same place.... LS Swap! I know, I know, a completely different ball of wax and a whole new set of challenges / headaches.

I'll keep you guys posted as things progress.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Did I get screwed? 05' Coupe 6MT NON-REVUP???