G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

2004 G35 Coupe VDC and slip lights on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 12:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 G35 Coupe VDC and slip lights on

Infiniti G35 2004 coupe mileage is 155,000. I also have had the slip and VDC lights come on while driving. It happens with cruse control on or off. I topped off the break fluid and replaced the front break pads which were worn. No help. The all cases it happened when the engine was at running temperature, never when its cold. But it was just a hiccup and the engine continued to run. The last time the engine shut off. I pulled over and it started up after a few seconds and I drove home.
This all started when two things happened. First I replaced the oil with Castrol GTX which clings to metal parts longer. Even though its the same viscosity as my normal engine oil now it leaks from the valve covers onto the engine. Turns out the Castro GTX is part synthetic. Around the same time I replaced the radiator. Either one of these things somehow caused the problem or the lights came on from another unrelated problem. Any suggestions?

Old 06-23-2016, 11:58 PM
I have read a lot of posts about these lights coming on. I hope my research will help you. You won't believe how many things will cause these lights to come on and stalls the car! It seems to start up again but it takes about five seconds. Perhaps the fuel pump was shut off and it take time for the fuel to get to the engine. If the car won't start again try disconnecting the battery then reconnect. This seems to help.
Simple things to try first....top off your break fluid....
Find out what codes your computer is throwing....very important...Don't just start replacing parts and sensors.
Causes
Low break fluid
Worn break pads
Wrong size tires (if these light are on when you start your engine its not the tire size)
Correct tire size for 2004 is front 225/45/18 rear 245/45/18
Bad sensors (Camshaft (2) speed sensor, crankshaft sensor
Front end out of alignment
ABS problems
Angle position sensor in the steering wheel

In my case the computer engine codes were P0345 B2 This is the Camshaft position sensor located on the drivers side
P0340 This is the Camshaft position sensor B1 located on the passenger side. Both sensors are on the back of the engine block near the firewall.
P0327 Knock sensor B1

I change my oil to Castrol GTX and replaced my radiator..then the VDC and Slip light starting coming after driving for over 30 minutes. The Castrol GTX is the same viscosity as my normal oil but now my valve covers are leaking engine oil! GTX is part synthetic and the molecules are closer together. (same viscosity my ***!) I put an additive in the oil to expand the gaskets and the oil leak stopped. It could be since the Camshaft sensors are one inch under the valve covers that oil has gotten onto the sensor connector and is causing the problem. I'll try cleaning the connectors first. If that does not work I'll replace the Camshaft sensors one at a time.
UPDATE: The codes called our camshaft sensor B2 three times. That's the on I changed. BTW the green tab on the connector that everyone has had problems with...you don't push down like everyone says. You push it in! That will release the locking tabs on either side and it pulls right off. What a pain.
Yesterday the car shut off four times in 50 minutes. Took it our for 59 minutes today with no failures. Of course more testing is required to confirm the fix.
Theory: As I mentioned my engine overheated due to a hole in my radiator. I replaced the radiator. I suspect the sensor was damaged by the over heating. All my problems started after I changed my radiator.
Update, drove over an hour with no stalling. Car is fixed.

Last edited by quantum; 07-02-2016 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Updates
Old 03-09-2017, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 coupe won't start and vdc light on and engine light

I have a 03 g35 coupe I started it up In the morning and backed outta my drive way way and pulled right back in shut the car of waited a hour went to go start it back up and it would bairly start spit and spudder. If I was to give it gas it would stall I'm completely mind boggled of what it could be my vdc light came on as well as the check engine find it weird that the car stated right up and now it won't ????

Old 03-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
A wise person would invest in an engine code reader because when issues strike, you may not be able to drive the car for help.

Consider getting an engine code reader, as it sounds like you have the common crank/cam sensors failure.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:10 AM
2004 VDC, slip and brake light all come on

I am having a similar problem. At random times (more on my morning commute than evening) the VDC, slip and brake light all come one. Car seems to be running ok during this (for a 2004 with 155K miles that is). I recently had my emergency brakes fixed to pass inspection, and have had both back and front brakes replaced recently enough - was also told brakes had 80% life left when he did my emergency brake. I am going to have my brake fluid checked, but has anyone else experienced this? Other info - sometimes the VDC and slip slight will be on but not the brake light; the brake light is never on by itself (only when other two are on), and sometimes halfway through my commute into work all the lights will all of a sudden be off. At times the car will take one or two extra seconds to start, and occasionally feels like it might stall out when stuck in traffic, but this has been going on before the lights starting showing and happens when they are not on too (it is now May so this is not due to freezing cold weather). More often than not it starts and runs fine.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:23 PM
It could be a lot of things

Hello,

You have to read the codes. Some auto parts stores will do this for free.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:27 AM
Sounds like a bad crankshaft position sensor i just had to replace mine

Old 10-25-2018, 03:30 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I agree with everything cleric wrote for 2 reasons;
1. IDK **** about electrical issues
2. Cleric is an electrician iirc
One thing I can add is to go over all of the grounds with sand paper, both the ground and the surface it's grounded to. Primarily the engine bay and the exhaust ground at the muffler which is easy enough to do. Use your choice of anti-corrosion product in between.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:40 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I think the "show related threads" thing got you