G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

I Need Desperate Help Please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I Need Desperate Help Please!

Okay so long story short, I bought a 2005 g35 Sedan Rwd like two weeks ago for a pretty cheap price. The car needs a bit of work and I've done some of it. Ive replaced two cat converters on the drivers side, crankshaft sensor and a new oem thermostat. Okay so now my problem with this car is overheating!

Like i said i put a new thermostat after i found out that it didn't have one installed. I got a new radiator, the old one was pretty much dirty and maybe clogged up. So when i start my car up in the mornings it starts up fine and warms up to normal temperature. After i drive it a couple minutes the temperature goes up to normal operating temp. then the temperature goes up a bit but then comes back down to normal temp.Then the radiator fans turn on and stay on and they're pretty loud. They won't shut off unless i turn off the car.

I Don't think the head gasket on the car are bad because the people that installed my cats also specialize in radiator work and he said he took a quick look at it and everything seemed fine. Ive tried releasing all the air from the cooling system but its not working the coolant just keeps pouring out with pressure.

The only solution i might have left is the heater core. Im not getting any hot air in my cab. It barley comes out warm (almost more cold). Now I'm thinking about taking off the whole dash apart just to get to the heater core, but i was wondering if maybe I'm missing something that i haven't tired? Could it be the coolant temp sensor? Bad fan relays?

If anyone can help i would appreciate it so much! Im about to go crazy!

Old 12-01-2016, 11:09 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 12-02-2016, 05:09 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
OP you still have air in the system. Our cars a notorious for being hard to bleed air from the cooling system so just keep trying until you get it out. Jack up the front end, start the car with the radiator cap off, let the motor heat up to operating temp, blast the heater on full, replace the lid and bleed what air you can with the bleeder screw at the back of the passenger side of the engine bay. Sadly you might have to do this a few times to get all of the air out. When the upper and lower radiator hoses are both very hot, you should be good to go.

Keep an eye on your fans as well, the motors can fail at any time but more often on higher mileage cars. They're cheap to replace, under $40, and easy to install. I'm in the process of replacing one and the other's starting to act up so I will probably do both at the same time on my 05 sedan with 137K miles on her.

The following users liked this post:
partyman66 (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 06:03 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Wait.... did you really just say that your car had no thermostat installed? I'd be really skeptical of that car if this is the case and take absolutely nothing for granted. Whoever owned it before probably did all sorts of crazy things to cheap out on replacing stuff and just get it sold.

It sounds to me like you have air in the system. As BlueDream mentioned, these cars are notorious for people having problems getting all the air out of the system during a coolant change/flush. The key is to fill it extremely slowly with the front end of the vehicle slightly raised and bump it up and down as you are filling it to work the air out. I usually sit in the drivers seat and rev it a bit with the radiator cap off and watch for the coolant rising in the radiator through the gap between the hood and dashboard.... or you can have another person sit in the car and tell them when to lightly rev while you stand in front of the car looking at the radiator. They'll need to shut the car off before it gets to the point where it boils over and spills out.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
Wait.... did you really just say that your car had no thermostat installed? I'd be really skeptical of that car if this is the case and take absolutely nothing for granted. Whoever owned it before probably did all sorts of crazy things to cheap out on replacing stuff and just get it sold.

It sounds to me like you have air in the system. As BlueDream mentioned, these cars are notorious for people having problems getting all the air out of the system during a coolant change/flush. The key is to fill it extremely slowly with the front end of the vehicle slightly raised and bump it up and down as you are filling it to work the air out. I usually sit in the drivers seat and rev it a bit with the radiator cap off and watch for the coolant rising in the radiator through the gap between the hood and dashboard.... or you can have another person sit in the car and tell them when to lightly rev while you stand in front of the car looking at the radiator. They'll need to shut the car off before it gets to the point where it boils over and spills out.
Yes the car didn't have a thermostat installed. I had this overheating issue happen on my old g35 coupe as well, but I managed to get the air out of the system on that one. I've tried releasing the air from the cooling system like a million times and I just can't get it to work! One thing I forgot to mention is that the old radiator was really dirty and possibly clogged. I took to a shop and they opened it and showed me all the crap that was inside the radiator. It seemed like the car wasn't being used for a couple months...Maybe even a little over a year. The water was that orange/brownish color, it didn't have antifreeze.

So now I've tried flushing the heater core only and the water comes out brown/orange. I'm not sure how fast the water is supposed to come out when you're flushing the heater core but water barely comes out and a slow rate. And I'm guessing the heater core is clogged up and water doesn't make it through the heater core and out the other side. Maybe that's why the water comes back shooting out through the radiator because it doesn't circulate through the whole cooling system? And maybe that's why I'm not getting any warm air?

(Sorry for any grammar mistakes, I'm on my phone lol)

Old 12-02-2016, 08:14 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
I think you're onto something there. It's a circulating system. "If the water don't flow yer gonna feel low."

Old 12-03-2016, 11:38 AM
Okay so here's what I did last night. I bypassed the heater core and just connected the hose directly and this morning I put spill free funnel and filled it up with water. Turned on the car and let it warm up to normal temperature. Then i gave the car a few revs to around 3k and my radiator fans turned on but the temperature seemed to be at normal. As soon as the radiator fans turned on my spill free funnel turned into a volcano lol, water with air bubbles bursting out. If i start squeezing the hose that connects to the thermostat then the water starts to go into the radiator, but as soon as i stop squeezing the hose the water starts rising again. But heres what i found kinda strange, the hose #14 as you see in the image is literally cold which I believe that connects to the water pump area? And also another thing I noticed is that while the car was on and at normal temp. I opened up the release valve from under the radiator and the water is also cold. So now I'm thinking the water pump might not be working? But if the water pump isn't working then why didn't the car over heat when it didn't have the thermostat? And a couple a days ago I actually had the car running fine, the fans would turn on but the car wouldn't over heat. It wasn't until a couple days later that the car temp would barley rise a bit then go back down. So when the temp goes up the fans turn on and the water would just pour out of the overflow hose, making it lose water through out the days. So Im just completely lost now. Its either the water pump or a hose thats clogged up? Or maybe i just don't know how to release the air from the cooling system?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.