G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Overheating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Believe me i HATE using that valve because it broke on me before and i got a good spray of hot fluid in my face, but yes i let the car cool down a bit and i also take my time when i unscrew it. Ive checked and double checked all the hoses and hey are all intact. Ive checked the reserve and its intact as well. The area the leak is coming from is the bottom left (the side with the rad cap).

Old 02-22-2017, 12:34 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Could be a faulty radiator, but I'd try to get a pressure tester if possible. Did you replace your cap?

Old 02-22-2017, 06:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It sounds like you may have a sticking thermostat. The Stant brand and other auto parts store products are notoriously poor quality - I once tested and returned three of them because they weren't opening properly or at the correct temperature. I no longer use anything but OEM parts for thermostats and radiator caps because the amount you save isn't worth overheating an engine.

I'd pull your thermostat out and test it in water on the stove - if it's not opening within a few degrees of the rated temp or it doesn't open smoothly, return it and get a new OEM one.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeysm
Could be a faulty radiator, but I'd try to get a pressure tester if possible. Did you replace your cap?
I did replace my radiator cap. Ill try to find a pressure tester as soon as i can.

Originally Posted by RyanY
It sounds like you may have a sticking thermostat. The Stant brand and other auto parts store products are notoriously poor quality - I once tested and returned three of them because they weren't opening properly or at the correct temperature. I no longer use anything but OEM parts for thermostats and radiator caps because the amount you save isn't worth overheating an engine.

I'd pull your thermostat out and test it in water on the stove - if it's not opening within a few degrees of the rated temp or it doesn't open smoothly, return it and get a new OEM one.
I replaced my thermostat with one from z1 motorsports that is supposed to be OEM. I guess it wouldnt hurt to check it anyways. I put in a spectra radiator from rockauto. Maybe i should invest in an OEM radiator. Can you point me to a site where i can get an OEM one from i would appreciate that.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fuse...D-SEDAN-manual

This is one of the least expensive online sites that I've found for OEM parts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.