G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Mods to get regardless of your goal for the G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods to get regardless of your goal for the G

I'm going to be buying a G35 Coupe in the next couple of months and am unsure of where I want to go with the car. I'm not sure if I would want to stay N/A or go Forced Induction, but I do know I want to modify my car. What performance modifications could I do regardless of what supercharger, turbo, or other down the road modification I decide on? For example, if I get a CAI, I would have to get rid of it if I go forced induction. On the other hand, if i get a crank puley, that would improve the performance and should stay on regardess if I go forced induction or stay N/A. Hopefully I made my self clear.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crawford Plenum is the best buy for the buck... Well worth it...

Old 02-28-2005, 09:12 AM
Pulley is bad for S/C* because you'll have to add on a bigger (not smaller) pulley.

Intake is bad for S/C* or TT since you need what ever comes with the system you have.

Plenum (I think) is ok with TT (It's definitely do-able with a S/C*).

Headers are bad for a TT since they have an exhaust manifold setup, but are ok to run with a S/C*.

Highflow cats is good for S/C* but bad for TT (you'd want big old straight pipes with a 3" diameter.

Exhaust... tricky one... TT would want a large pipe diameter and a true dual. The S/C may work a little better with a y-pipe set up. Esemes went from Borla to Fujitsubo with his S/C* set up and liked the performance of the y-pipe exhaust better.

It sounds like you need to spend countless hours reading and researching the pros/cons of adding S/C's and TT's to the G35 and decide what you want to do. After that, start saving up for the FI system you want. These nickle and dime mods will not gain you anywhere near the power the FI will get you. After that you can add on and re-tune as you like (you have to have something to play with and tinker with or else you'll get bored, right? )

*the term S/C does not account for Stillen S/C which is made to run on a stock G35 with absolutely no mods.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:05 PM
G SQUAD
Originally Posted by neffster
Pulley is bad for S/C* because you'll have to add on a bigger (not smaller) pulley.

Intake is bad for S/C* or TT since you need what ever comes with the system you have.

Plenum (I think) is ok with TT (It's definitely do-able with a S/C*).

Headers are bad for a TT since they have an exhaust manifold setup, but are ok to run with a S/C*.

Highflow cats is good for S/C* but bad for TT (you'd want big old straight pipes with a 3" diameter.

Exhaust... tricky one... TT would want a large pipe diameter and a true dual. The S/C may work a little better with a y-pipe set up. Esemes went from Borla to Fujitsubo with his S/C* set up and liked the performance of the y-pipe exhaust better.

It sounds like you need to spend countless hours reading and researching the pros/cons of adding S/C's and TT's to the G35 and decide what you want to do. After that, start saving up for the FI system you want. These nickle and dime mods will not gain you anywhere near the power the FI will get you. After that you can add on and re-tune as you like (you have to have something to play with and tinker with or else you'll get bored, right? )

*the term S/C does not account for Stillen S/C which is made to run on a stock G35 with absolutely no mods.
Neffster what do mean about the stillen only being able to run on the stock g35???

-Vin

Old 02-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Cmon Son!
he wasnt saying anything about it only being able to run on a stock G, but saying that you dont have to change out other components to recieve the nominal gains from the stillen as compared to other brands.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Yeah, Stillen S/C LOSES horsepower and torque if you start messing with things.

If you research, even adding stillen headers, stillen exhaust, etc... the S/C loses hp and tq.

Since the piggyback they sell (for the most part) is not tunable you cannot re-program the piggyback to work with the new mods and thus you lose power.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:56 PM
how about a nice aftermarket sound system hehe that won't mess with your FI choices...

Old 02-28-2005, 02:06 PM
No idea whats going on
Thumbs up

A good suspension setup will fit in that department. I recommend the Tein Flex w/EDFC because of the ability to adjust on the fly.

Old 02-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
if you're going FI for sure in the future i wouldn't waste money on small performance mods.. I would save it.. that's what i'm doing.. My car is all stock performance wise and right now i'm putting together a turbo kit.. slowly but surely

Old 03-01-2005, 01:18 AM
What about changing the Final Gear Ratio. Regardless if I go FI or stay N/A, this would be good for either route, right?

What about some type of Air Fuel Controller? Even if I get a stillen supercharger, wouldn't this mod help out?

Camshafts?

Cam Gears?

If plenum would be good, I guess a plenum spacer would be too?

Also, becuase I live in California I would have to get items that are CARB Legal. As far as I know, there should be a couple more carb legal superchargers in the near future. Are there any plans for making a carb legal Turbo or Twin Turbo?

Old 03-01-2005, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by DTrejo
What about changing the Final Gear Ratio. Regardless if I go FI or stay N/A, this would be good for either route, right?

What about some type of Air Fuel Controller? Even if I get a stillen supercharger, wouldn't this mod help out?

Camshafts?

Cam Gears?

Also, becuase I live in California I would have to get items that are CARB Legal. As far as I know, there should be a couple more carb legal superchargers in the near future. Are there any plans for making a carb legal Turbo or Twin Turbo?
JWT turbo kit is carb pending and to be released in May. APS single turbo kit could possibly be carb approved, but requires optional APS cat converter to pass emissions.

Old 03-01-2005, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by DTrejo

Camshafts?

Cam Gears?

If you modify the cams (profile of the lobes) you must modify the ECU to adjust for the variation in lift durations, you can't do this with the Stillen black box set up (as far as I know)... Also the plenum and most likely the plenum spacer is a no-go with the Stillen S/C... have you ever seen where they mount the blower?

Old 03-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont get the plenum if you SC...The Stillen is the Carb legal one it it bolts on to the top of the intake, right where your shiny new plenum would be.

Do a search on here for the comparison chart between all the FI choices. Figure out what you want to do, then well talk.

Other than that, I recommend along with Accord freak to just let it be until you FI.

That'll be $0.02, please

Old 03-01-2005, 07:43 PM
As of right now, I'm leaning towards a CARB Legal Supercharger. Mostly becuase it would be cheaper than getting a CARB Legal Turbo. What about changing the final Gear Ratio?

Regardless if I go N/A or FI, this would be a good mod correct? I've heard of people spending about $1,300 for parts and labor and were really happy with their results. There was another mod that was called the level 10 transmission drive. What about getting a grounding Kit? Wouldn't these three mods work regarldess if I stay N/A or go FI?

Old 03-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Grounding Kits?

Level 10 Transmission Drive?

Changing the Final Gear Ratio?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mods to get regardless of your goal for the G