G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Dropped object into intake valve - what next?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 04:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dropped object into intake valve - what next?

Well boys, looks like I'm a real idiot on top of being plain clumsy. I found the damn thing sitting on top of the transfer case, it did not fall into the cylinder.

Last edited by Clumsy; 02-07-2017 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:30 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Maybe you could fish it out with one of those flexible claw pick up tools?

Old 02-06-2017, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,028 Likes on 945 Posts
Was going to recommend the same ^.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:55 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
How far in did it go?

From the picture it looks like toy can't even see it anymore. If that's the case I would think taking the intake manifold off should reveal its inner resting place and make for a direct removal.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:04 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Same thing happened to me, however, I didn't realize it until a VERY long time after when I was doing something else that I was missing a spacer. Looked down and sure enough it was in one of my valve ports all beat to hell. It hasn't caused any issues with my car, but I might have just been lucky. I can't remember what I used to get it out. But, I didn't have to take everything apart odds are I used some long needle noses or a flexible grabber.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeysm
Same thing happened to me, however, I didn't realize it until a VERY long time after when I was doing something else that I was missing a spacer. Looked down and sure enough it was in one of my valve ports all beat to hell. It hasn't caused any issues with my car, but I might have just been lucky. I can't remember what I used to get it out. But, I didn't have to take everything apart odds are I used some long needle noses or a flexible grabber.
Unfortunately, the valves it fell onto were open wide enough to let it fall into the cylinder. I'm not willing to put it back together, much less start the car, before I know that it is out of there.

Originally Posted by partyman66
How far in did it go?

From the picture it looks like toy can't even see it anymore. If that's the case I would think taking the intake manifold off should reveal its inner resting place and make for a direct removal.
It must have gone into that cylinder, the other two sets of valves that it could have fallen into are not open enough for it to fit through. Do you think I would be able to reach it with a wire coat hanger, or a claw grabber tool like LexD posted, if I run it through the spark plug hole?

Edit: The cup certainly won't fit through the spark plug hole. I think I'm going to need a borescope to actually find this damn thing first. I'm pretty sure I know which cylinder it's in, but I can't confirm. I've tried wiggling a coat hanger around to try to feel or hear it in cylinder 2 (pictured) but I really couldn't tell.

Originally Posted by LexD
Maybe you could fish it out with one of those flexible claw pick up tools?
This looks like the perfect tool for this assuming it will fit, I'll have to shop around for one.

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited by Clumsy; 02-06-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,028 Likes on 945 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeysm
Man... I would have those two intake valves replaced. You are looking at catastrophic failure at some point in the engines life because of forces put upon it that were not normal.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:18 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
OMFG I had flashbacks of this thread when I read the title of this one: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...ghlight=colsoh This an absolute MUST READ for anyone who hasn't seen it, might be the funniest thread ever on Driver.

OP I'm very glad you're not "this guy". Be patient and take our time to figure out what's going on and use this as a lesson that slow and careful are always very important terms when working on cars......GL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.