G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

NWP Engineering 75mm Throttle Body Kit or Motordyne 5/16" Plenum Spacer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NWP Engineering 75mm Throttle Body Kit or Motordyne 5/16" Plenum Spacer

I have a 2004 g35 coupe and I'm on the edge of buying one of these two. Which is better and which should I get ?

Old 03-12-2017, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, both have negligible gains. If you just want sound get the 5/16" spacer. If you have an 05-07 coupe 6MT you would notice most gains from an MREV2.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:06 PM
So there's no point in getting neither ?

Old 03-12-2017, 11:10 PM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
^^^Why not. I'm thinking all three along with headers, high flow cats and, a tune will give good gains.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks
^^^Why not. I'm thinking all three along with headers, high flow cats and, a tune will give good gains.
That's what I thought. I'm trying to buy either the throttle body or spacer soon. I just don't know which I should buy first.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Think about the TB spacer, it just doesn't work. When in doubt, see if mighty car mods has a video on it.

Intake plenum spacer was designed by a rocket scientist, so it likely makes a difference. But without proper tuning it is likely a waste if you aren't one to love the sound.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:14 AM
I don't see why a plenum spacer along with a big bore throttle body won't work as long as you get a tune. Everyone should know that without a tune, your car could and probably will run lean. Especially at wide open throttle. That's too much air entering into the cylinders for the ECU to compensate for. That's why a tune is definitely needed but, you must also understand. The more air you bring in, you must also allow for more exhaust gases to be let out. Hence the need for headers, high flow cats and a catback exhaust. Also, you must consider better injectors to flow more fuel and better coils to ignite the air fuel mixture. You can not truly enjoy a puzzle until all the pieces are put together and an engine is no different.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:42 AM
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
I vote go for the plenum spacer, and a tune. Hi-flow cats or test pipes will free up a lot of restriction in the exhaust as well. The tune is what will wake the car up and run it safely. Just a base tune will open the TB angle to 100% at WOT.. it is limited to 30% from the factory in the first 3 gears.

There is a real risk of running lean without the tune, but if you stay with quality gas it is a small concern. I bought my 03 coupe with headers, intake and exhaust and no cats and it had no tune. I was worried about running lean, so the first thing I did was pick up an UpRev tune.

No worries on the fuel delivery.. stock injectors are fine for even mildly boosted applications. No difficulty keeping up with modded NA fueling needs.

The following users liked this post:
seymore4 (03-18-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 08:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've looked at the throttle body before. Something about it doesn't quite convince me of its power-giving properties. The dyno sheet posted on their own website shows the gains. While it does perform nicely in the region in which they claim 12-35HP increase, it is ONLY in the range of 5700-6200rpm. I like getting into the accelerator as much as the next guy here, but the dyno chart shows LESS power going up through 5000rpm, which for me is where my car spends 99.7% of acceleration and driving time. While I would like a bolt-on for performance, I am not convinced from the chart of any gains from the throttle body. Just look at the 4000rpm point showing 75HP less than stock. That is what stops me...

I would be very interested in what it does post-tuned, if it isn't tuned from their site. Maybe it makes all the difference.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:41 AM
Agreed but, if you really want to take advantage of your bolt one. I'd look into some cams as well.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:50 PM
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
I had looked at getting an NWP throttle body and 90mm intake to increase flow. I wasn't aware of the drop in power posted right in the meat of the power band.

Everything is a system though. Once you get the parts, an actual dyno tune is imperative to wring the most performance from your individual setup. Just throwing parts together can actually make the cars performance decrease.

Cams definitely won't be maximized without a few pulls on the dyno. Cams are on my list, but pretty far down though, and I'll probably install them in a fresh motor with higher compression pistons.. .if I go that route.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:26 PM
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Bolt ons for the G give pretty minimal gains. I have intake, exhaust, headers, spacer and lightweight flywheel. If I had to do it over again I would keep the exhaust for sound and the flywheel for feel. Intake, spacer and headers are practically worthless on this car.

Actually, as I was going through my old parts last weekend I was looking at the stock headers and was still impressed with the design compared to most cars that essentially have exhaust manifolds--probably why there is not much hp to be found there.

Now, suspension is another story. Coilovers or comparable, adjustable sways and a front tower brace completely transform the car. Every suspension mod I did to my car was easily noticeable.

The G is such a good looking car to begin with, I'd focus on suspension and aesthetics. Anything but FI isn't going to make enough difference to justify the cost.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:43 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Mike, "Welcome to Driver!"

Originally Posted by Mikeaveli
I have a 2004 g35 coupe and I'm on the edge of buying one of these two. Which is better and which should I get ?
The answer is simple, Motordyne's 5/16" spacer has been the best (first) mod since day one! I corrects Nissan's design flaw allowing equal air thru the front ports of the plenum. And regardless of what other members have posted the spacer alone will not cause you to run lean at WOT or any other RPM! A tune is only required after you have completed all the other breather mods...fact! For future knowledge, read all the stickys at the top of the coupe page...you'll be glad you did! When you have question, use our Search!
Gary

Old 03-17-2017, 03:55 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
It's been dyno proven that a 75mm throttle body will NOT provide any significant gains without a 3" intake and a tune. OP I've posted this before and will again here, you need to decide what you're willing to spend to get significant gains. My 05 sedan had the following mods that netted around 40-45 extra HP which was a 20% gain. Mind you if you bought all of these things new you'd have spent well over $3000 so is it worth it to you to get the extra HP? Only you can answer that. If you want significant gains you need to turbo or supercharge the motor and to do either of those properly you're looking at around a $10K or more.

Mods:
Motordyne 5/16" spacer
Motordyne resonated XYZ
Motordyne sedan VQ exhaust w/resonated mid pipe
Motordyne ART pipes
NWP 3" throttle body
R2C intake
UpRev Osiris custom tune with Cipher cable

Is the car quicker, yes but was it worth it to me in the long run? Not really TBH, if I was going to do it all over again I would have done the R2C and the VQ exhaust and called it a day. One of my recommendations would be to add a set of sway bars F/R because they completely change the handling dynamics of the car for the better. Better than 20HP IMHO...........I've sold the ART pipes and the Osiris/Cipher cable since and honestly don't feel much of a difference on the butt dyno.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.