G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Tire wearing on the inside

  #16  
Old 04-18-2017, 01:24 AM
partyman66's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Southeastern Mass.
Posts: 3,559
Received 222 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
You won't have any issues running 245s on the front, in fact you might even enjoy the extra control at highway speed. New tires are not an option, I'd make sure the rest of your front suspension isn't worn causing further poor tire wear! Once again, an independent brake/tire shop deals with this issue daily, every town has at least one...have 'em check it out!
Gary
Extra control at highway speed with 245's up front vs 225's? LOL... are you running the extreme slalom course the whole way to work every day Gary?

I've had both 225's and 245's on my car up front on my G35. You won't notice a difference in handling unless you really push it to the limit like on an autocross course or maybe when really cranking hard down an on/off ramp or sweeper style corner. Highway handling generally has more to do with tire profile\stability for front tires than width once you get beyond a certain tire width (probably around 205 or so for a car with specs like ours). You'd possibly only notice the difference in hard braking and while cornering at the limits and certainly not on the highway. Keep in mind that changing the tire width without changing your rims changes the shape of your contact patch too, so that can actually negate some of the gains in width.

In my case, I did notice however that my 245's tended to wear out a decent bit faster than the 225's on the inner edge... presumably because a slightly wider tire could be exacerbating the effects of the aggressive factory alignment. Or maybe it was just that the brand of tire I had on there wore faster in general.

Most people tend to like 245's because of the look. You will have a more bulged\fuller tire appearance up front with 245's vs 225s.
 

Last edited by partyman66; 04-18-2017 at 04:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (04-18-2017)
  #17  
Old 04-18-2017, 09:57 AM
gary c's Avatar
SLICK
iTrader: (10)
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 19,382
Received 1,099 Likes on 979 Posts
Last time I looked OE factory rims are all 8"+.50" wide on the first gen G35s, so no bulge! When I run 245X45/18's Michelins on each corner at Autoclub Speed Way I felt a more stable/controlled ride both on the track and more importantly L.A. Freeways!
Gary
 

Last edited by gary c; 04-18-2017 at 10:05 AM.
  #18  
Old 04-18-2017, 12:35 PM
LoSt180's Avatar
Premier Member
iTrader: (11)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,676
Received 419 Likes on 344 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
Last time I looked OE factory rims are all 8"+.50" wide on the first gen G35s, so no bulge! When I run 245X45/18's Michelins on each corner at Autoclub Speed Way I felt a more stable/controlled ride both on the track and more importantly L.A. Freeways!
Gary
The 19" rays are 8" front 8.5" rear.
18" wheels are 8" all around.

Sedans are square sized as well.
 
  #19  
Old 04-18-2017, 01:17 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Florida, Orlando/Melbourne
Posts: 700
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66 View Post
Extra control at highway speed with 245's up front vs 225's? LOL... are you running the extreme slalom course the whole way to work every day Gary?

I've had both 225's and 245's on my car up front on my G35. You won't notice a difference in handling unless you really push it to the limit like on an autocross course or maybe when really cranking hard down an on/off ramp or sweeper style corner. Highway handling generally has more to do with tire profile\stability for front tires than width once you get beyond a certain tire width (probably around 205 or so for a car with specs like ours). You'd possibly only notice the difference in hard braking and while cornering at the limits and certainly not on the highway. Keep in mind that changing the tire width without changing your rims changes the shape of your contact patch too, so that can actually negate some of the gains in width.

In my case, I did notice however that my 245's tended to wear out a decent bit faster than the 225's on the inner edge... presumably because a slightly wider tire could be exacerbating the effects of the aggressive factory alignment. Or maybe it was just that the brand of tire I had on there wore faster in general.

Most people tend to like 245's because of the look. You will have a more bulged\fuller tire appearance up front with 245's vs 225s.

Definitely this. I drove my car around for a couple weeks with 205 wide tires on 16 inch steelies at the front. Drove fine on the motorway and the difference was not noticeable even under reasonably hard cornering. Like you say, heading to the limit is when you will start to see a difference but anything before that is negligible. A massive amount of cornering stability comes from the rear too, so those wider 245's at the back will do their job whether the front is matching or 225's.

I've also run these steelies on the rear, that's a completely different story. Besides the loss of traction. When turning, the rear just squats (not breaking traction) out sideways and it feels terribly unstable, the rim moves side to side a lot as the sidewall rolls over. You feel the high tire profile a lot more when it's on the rear, and that was running them at 50psi - for reasons.


 
The following users liked this post:
partyman66 (04-18-2017)
  #20  
Old 04-18-2017, 08:22 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts


Here was my alignment results. Was it bad enough to cause the inner tread wear on my tires? (Sorry, I'm no expert).
 
  #21  
Old 04-18-2017, 08:29 PM
dofu's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 10,820
Received 239 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by NyCrAzY View Post


Here was my alignment results. Was it bad enough to cause the inner tread wear on my tires? (Sorry, I'm no expert).
Unless you are dropped, it doesn't look like the alignment was the only problem. Worn suspension components can be a cause for misalignment.
 
  #22  
Old 04-18-2017, 08:40 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu View Post
Unless you are dropped, it doesn't look like the alignment was the only problem. Worn suspension components can be a cause for misalignment.
oh okay. Yeah, I have a 2007 Coupe and my suspension is OEM. Not lowered or anything.
 
  #23  
Old 04-18-2017, 08:57 PM
partyman66's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Southeastern Mass.
Posts: 3,559
Received 222 Likes on 195 Posts
Your camber is still out of spec after the alignment by a decent amount (half a degree past maximum of –1.17 on the front right and almost .4 past maximum on the front left).... that's about a full degree beyond nominal of –0.42 on each side. Not sure how adjustable the camber is on your car (depends on the year), but that's going to cause you to continue to have inner tire wear although it will be reduced by the toe correction (particularly the toe correction on the front left tire)

How are your wheel bearings and the various steering bushings up front (I would think the alignment guys would mention this if they noticed them needing replacement)?

Was it your front right tire that had the worse inner tire wear (The one from the picture)?... or was it both sides that had bad inner wear?


Search for "Alignment" in the PDF for exact specs:

http://psedog.com/cars/fsm/g35/coupe...fwd.pdf#page=4
 

Last edited by partyman66; 04-18-2017 at 09:05 PM.
  #24  
Old 04-18-2017, 09:28 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66 View Post
Your camber is still out of spec after the alignment by a decent amount (half a degree past maximum of 1.17 on the front right and almost .4 past maximum on the front left).... that's about a full degree beyond nominal of 0.42 on each side. Not sure how adjustable the camber is on your car (depends on the year), but that's going to cause you to continue to have inner tire wear although it will be reduced by the toe correction (particularly the toe correction on the front left tire)

How are your wheel bearings and the various steering bushings up front (I would think the alignment guys would mention this if they noticed them needing replacement)?

Was it your front right tire that had the worse inner tire wear (The one from the picture)?... or was it both sides that had bad inner wear?


Search for "Alignment" in the PDF for exact specs:

http://psedog.com/cars/fsm/g35/coupe...fwd.pdf#page=4
Hey partyman, thanks for your response.

I have a 2007 G35 Coupe with the OEM rays/19" staggered tires.

I got my allignment done at Merchants since I have a 5 year alignment program with them but I personally hate them. Only reason I go there is because of the free alignment, rotation, and balancing I get from them. In addition, they never said anything to me about my allignment, just the fact that I need new front tires.

Both of my tires in the front suffer from the inner tread wear. So if alignment isn't the cause of the premature wear on the inside of my front tires, then I'll definitely take it to a mechanic that I trust. My 07 coupe has 126,000 miles on it. I bought it around 60,000 miles so I'm sure that all my suspension parts are still OEM. Only thing I ever changed are my struts and shocks.
 
  #25  
Old 04-19-2017, 12:56 AM
Urbanengineer's Avatar
Super Moderator
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: OH-IO
Posts: 9,912
Received 795 Likes on 747 Posts
If you are at stock height then some of the suspension bushings have to be completely toast - most likely the lower control arm shock mount bushings have gone bad.

For the rears this would be the shock mount bushing on the knuckle.

Inspect and let me know.
 
  #26  
Old 04-19-2017, 09:27 AM
gary c's Avatar
SLICK
iTrader: (10)
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 19,382
Received 1,099 Likes on 979 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
First step is to find a reliable independent brake/alignment shop in your area. They can check your suspension for wear or the need for alignment that might cause the tire wear you're experiencing. You could run 245s on the front, that won't correct the wear issues you're having...but still a good idea!
Gary
Like I posted a few days ago! So you have a five year warranty on your alignment, how many sets of tires are you going to go thru during that period? It only needs to be done once right if your suspension isn't worn out!
Gary
 
  #27  
Old 04-20-2017, 03:22 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My right front tire was badly worn just on the edge. Metal was showing. I just put a new tire on today and am getting an alignment and thorough inspection tomorrow.
 
  #28  
Old 04-20-2017, 04:16 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.z1motorsports.com/suspen...it-p-5211.html

Should I buy that set guys?

Also, from my understanding, the 2007 G35 Coupe doesn't have an adjustable camber in the front, right? Are the rears however adjustable or not?
 

Last edited by NyCrAzY; 04-20-2017 at 04:41 PM.
  #29  
Old 04-20-2017, 05:51 PM
Blue Dream's Avatar
I drove ttrank's car solo
iTrader: (50)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: By the sea, Tx
Posts: 18,152
Received 1,422 Likes on 1,170 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
The G's have limited camber adjustment in the rear and none in the front stock so you're right. The bushing kit you linked is a good idea, people here usually gravitate towards Energy Suspension or Whiteline.
 
  #30  
Old 04-21-2017, 02:47 PM
Urbanengineer's Avatar
Super Moderator
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: OH-IO
Posts: 9,912
Received 795 Likes on 747 Posts
I have the energy bushings in my car - it's a great kit. Definitely buy that for better than OEM restored performance. You will need to take some time to get the parts swapped out. Don't try and do it in an afternoon. Replace the comp rods (rear lower arm) and put the new energy bushings in those.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: