G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Throttle Body ECU relearn not wokring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 01:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Throttle Body ECU relearn not wokring

Hi kind people of the forum, i'd like to seek advice about a widely discussed and researched issue. Bought me an 03 6mt coupe, 2 owner nothing wrong with it aside from a mysterious clunking in the front left...but thats another topic for another post.

my uncontrollable itch to tinker led me to a dead end. I did some basic maintenance as soon as i got it, oil, filters, clean MAF etc. Also noticed that the idle is a little grimey. nothing crazy but theres a shake here and there, research says clean throttle body.

i took the plastic intake pipe off, then tried to take the throttle body off... i did not unplug it or disconnect anything from it. i left it on there plenum due to a siezed bolt that i didnt want to strip. Instead i opened the butterfly and using shop towels and TB cleaner i cleaned it out (I DID NOT SPRAY IN THE PLENUM), its clean i checked. I put it back together, reconnected hoses and fired her up. CEL came on shortly and it idles one line lower than 1K.. i tried all the ecu relearn procedure and its not doing anything, i cant get the damn CEL to blink during the idle control procedure dance. I've done it about 11 times and nothing.

TL: DR cleaned TB, got CEL p0507, procedure doesnt work cant get CEL to blink.

many thanks!

Old 04-18-2017, 06:22 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
First of all whenever you clean the TB disconnect it from power. Second don't move the throttle plate because a lot of our TBs don't like that. But since you have already done that read through this page for possible help.: http://www.justanswer.com/nissan-inf...ttle-body.html

If all else fails take it to the dealer and have them slap it on the ScanTool machine.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
First of all whenever you clean the TB disconnect it from power. Second don't move the throttle plate because a lot of our TBs don't like that. But since you have already done that read through this page for possible help.: http://www.justanswer.com/nissan-inf...ttle-body.html

If all else fails take it to the dealer and have them slap it on the ScanTool machine.
Thanks for the info, ill try to go through the procedure again and recheck for any air leaks. I was super careful with it, not to move it too much but i guess it doesn't matter how much you move it.

It just seems like it doesn't want to go into the relearn mode

might just have to take the ride of shame and go to the stealership

ALSO, is there any danger of driving around with this particular code? i mean its like 200 rpm above normal, doesnt seem to impact performance or MPG

Old 04-18-2017, 06:55 PM

No danger it'll just use a little more gas, that's all.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:08 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
1. Warm the car up fully by driving (preferably 15 minutes or longer).
2. Park making sure the front wheels are straight ahead and everything is off, I.e. Radio, lights, wipers, heater, etc. This step is important and can cause it to fail if not done.
3. Shut the engine off, wait 10 seconds
4. Turn the key to on, wait 3 seconds
5. Turn the key to off, wait 10 seconds
6. Turn the key to on, wait 3 seconds
7. Turn the key to off, wait 10 seconds
8. Turn the key to on, wait 3 seconds
9. Turn the key to off, wait 10 seconds
10. Turn key to on, wait 3 seconds
11. Stomp on and release the accelerator pedal 5 times in 5 seconds, wait 7 to 8 secs
12. Depress and hold down the accelerator pedal for about 18 seconds, the light should start blinking around 10 seconds and then stop at around 18 seconds, release the pedal as soon as it stops blinking,
13. Start the engine, do not turn the key off first before starting the engine, as soon you release the pedal turn the key to the right to start the engine.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
1. Warm the car up fully by driving (preferably 15 minutes or longer).
2. Park making sure the front wheels are straight ahead and everything is off, I.e. Radio, lights, wipers, heater, etc. This step is important and can cause it to fail if not done.
3. Shut the engine off, wait 10 seconds
4. Turn the key to on, wait 3 seconds
5. Turn the key to off, wait 10 seconds
6. Turn the key to on, wait 3 seconds
7. Turn the key to off, wait 10 seconds
8. Turn the key to on, wait 3 seconds
9. Turn the key to off, wait 10 seconds
10. Turn key to on, wait 3 seconds
11. Stomp on and release the accelerator pedal 5 times in 5 seconds, wait 7 to 8 secs
12. Depress and hold down the accelerator pedal for about 18 seconds, the light should start blinking around 10 seconds and then stop at around 18 seconds, release the pedal as soon as it stops blinking,
13. Start the engine, do not turn the key off first before starting the engine, as soon you release the pedal turn the key to the right to start the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=M62kkenI_Ro
thanks man! so finally got around to doing it and no luck, can't get the damn CEL to start blinking. Whats pissing me off is that when i researched this problem everyone'se RPM's are like 1200-1500 mine is at around 900, It just needs to drop a bit lower. Tested the battery as well and its showing over 12.9 volts.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
You've tried one way, give this one a go!

Try pulling the negative side of the battery for 30 minutes, then reinstall. Take her for a drive and see what effects you've achieved. Idle should come down to 400 rpm when warmed up, 1200 when cold at start up!
Gary

Old 04-20-2017, 09:59 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Option #2: Use a generic bluetooth obd2 scanner and NissanDataScan II app to do all this for you automagically.

Use app to clear all codes and clear self learning before starting.

1. Turn the key to on, wait 3 seconds
2. Turn the key to off, wait 10 seconds
3. Repeat steps 1-2 2x (Throttle body closed and Accelerator pedal released position learning is now complete, you should hear the TB move & close during these steps)
4. Warm up car fully by driving (preferably 15 minutes or longer)
5. Park making sure the front wheels are straight ahead and everything is off, I.e. A/C, Radio, lights, wipers, heater, etc. This step is important and can cause it to fail if not done.
6. Shut the engine off, wait 10 seconds.
7. Start the engine, rev engine 2 or 3 times to about 2300 rpm, allow idle to settle
8. Connect NDSII app to car
9. Swipe over to "Work Support" tab > tap "Idle Air Volume Relearn" button*

*App will probably say procedure failed, restart engine, rev a few times to allow idle to settle and verify idle is in target range. Repeat steps 6-9 if idle still high.

Name:  Screenshot_2015-12-17-11-09-07.png
Views: 1087
Size:  46.1 KB

For future reference, the throttle body needs to be disconnected (unplugged) before moving the butterfly. I've cleaned mine twice and several others with no ill effects by ALWAYS disconnecting the battery and then unplugging the TB before moving it.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:13 AM
It freakin worked

IT FINALLY WORKED!!!! i went for a quick 20 min drive to warm her up, came back and reluctantly tried it again, to my disbelief CEL started blinking and RPMs dropped after i finished the procedure. I cleared the code and its gone!

i stopped by a nissan dealer beforehand,they said it was going to be $130 for one hour of labor... i told the serv. manager that it doesnt take anywhere near an hour to do but i guess that's their minimum.

ABSOLUTELY will disconnect battery next time! thanks so much everyone!!

now to my suspension clunking gremlins

Old 04-20-2017, 06:04 PM

Congrats I'm sure that's a big relief. On the suspension likely culprits are worn sway bar endlinks, inner/outer tie rods, suspension bushings and shock mounts. Good luck tracking them down they can be a pain.............

Last edited by Blue Dream; 04-21-2017 at 04:57 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Congrats I'm sure that's a big relief. On the suspension likely culprits are worn sway bar endlinks, inner/outer tie rods, suspension bushings and shock mounts. Good luck tacking them down they can be a pain.............
thanks!! yep, already replaced the endlinks and they did nothing as i suspected. next onto upper control arm, there might be crappy bushing, my search continues

Old 04-20-2017, 09:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know how you counted the seconds during the relearn, some people say use a stop watch, but I just use the Mississippi second count when I do it on mine and get it on the first try just about every time I do it. Something to keep mind if you ever have trouble with it again

Old 04-21-2017, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by nickwd131
I don't know how you counted the seconds during the relearn, some people say use a stop watch, but I just use the Mississippi second count when I do it on mine and get it on the first try just about every time I do it. Something to keep mind if you ever have trouble with it again
i used stopwatch on my phone, then i did it with the second hand on my watch and it worked.. could've been some other factor was off perhaps, im just glad it worked

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.