G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

HELP KEY WONT TURN!!!! 06 G35x

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP KEY WONT TURN!!!! 06 G35x

Just got a 06 g35xfor my wife from a private party not dealer. 2006 with 90k miles. Put around 100 or so miles on it by driving it around 5 or so times. Parked it the other day and key will not turn!!! Tried wd40 on key a few times and nothing. Tried to turn steering wheel left and right while turning key and nothing which it was my wife turning it while i was on the phone with her so she turned it to far to the point that that also locked so now both are also locked lol

I need both unlocked. and the key switch was locked on off before the steering wheel was. So any idea how i could at least unlock the steering wheel itself. Key also is #1 needs to be unlocked

I went to infiniti and they said they don't think it's the key switch but they don't really know and they told me they don't understand how my key was working in the first place!.....????? All i got with the car was a key no button thing for alarm and locks. Ill post pic of key i got. They talked about elec chip and confusing stuff.

To make matters worse while my wife and her friend were messing with the car trying to find out how to get the key to turn the dang 2 front windows rolled down 1/4 inch so that makes matters worse because rain lol.

Any idea on this key problem please let me know. And if you know where to find a whole new switch let me know als o incase that is it because infiniti wanted like 400 something just for a new switch and key and that might not be it.

Last edited by SuperMariosBro; 04-30-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:37 PM
I read something from nissan tech guy online about removing a lock cable does that mean unplug the elec cable on top or does it mean a metal cable with a like locking pin? The lock has 2 elec cables from what i see and i think lock cable means the one that goes into the top of the lock so if i unplug that........? i need this car to start or i need to pay for a flat bed for what is probably a cheep fix i could do my self.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by SuperMariosBro

Just got a 06 g35xfor my wife from a private party not dealer. 2006 with 90k miles. Put around 100 or so miles on it by driving it around 5 or so times. Parked it the other day and key will not turn!!! Tried wd40 on key a few times and nothing. Tried to turn steering wheel left and right while turning key and nothing which it was my wife turning it while i was on the phone with her so she turned it to far to the point that that also locked so now both are also locked lol

I need both unlocked. and the key switch was locked on off before the steering wheel was. So any idea how i could at least unlock the steering wheel itself. Key also is #1 needs to be unlocked

I went to infiniti and they said they don't think it's the key switch but they don't really know and they told me they don't understand how my key was working in the first place!.....????? All i got with the car was a key no button thing for alarm and locks. Ill post pic of key i got. They talked about elec chip and confusing stuff.

To make matters worse while my wife and her friend were messing with the car trying to find out how to get the key to turn the dang 2 front windows rolled down 1/4 inch so that makes matters worse because rain lol.

Any idea on this key problem please let me know. And if you know where to find a whole new switch let me know als o incase that is it because infiniti wanted like 400 something just for a new switch and key and that might not be it.
When I purchased my previous 06 G35 6 speed brand new it came with two key fobs and keys. You should have asked the seller for the other keys.
AAA provides 200 mile free tows to a dealer.
If you are not currently a member treat your wife to a membership and let the dealer provide you with the proper programmed keys

Just my $.02.

Telcoman

Old 04-30-2017, 07:21 PM
I have insurance that is not aaa. FOB that is the remote thing? right fob is that little remote? or is it the key itself? I seen how to program remotes key in 6 times within 10 secs. my key has a square end. help help anyone this is a big problem and i bet a cheap fix.

Last edited by SuperMariosBro; 04-30-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:31 PM
show me a pic of a normal infiniti g65 key if one yas can

Old 04-30-2017, 08:44 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Put your key in the drivers side door lock from the outside. Turn it to the right and hold it there for a few seconds and the windows will roll up.

This will also rule out damage to the key as a factor of it not turning in the ignition since it will have worked in the door.

You could disconnect the positive battery terminal and then with it disconnected, spray some electrical contact cleaner liberally into the key hole of your ignition. Let it dry and then about 10 minutes later work a bunch of powdered graphite into the lock mechanism. Put the key in and out a bunch of times to help the graphite get worked into the moving parts and try to turn it. Hook the battery back up and hopefully you're good to go.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:12 PM
party man thank you so much for the window thing but you said it backwards, I turned it right and they went down and i almost **** my self i was so pissed but then left went up. Right is down left is up. I had plastic wrap trying to keep the rain out it looked like i had smashed windows looked so bad for the last few days

Last edited by SuperMariosBro; 04-30-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:16 PM
While i was at work the day the key decided to not turn any more she said they disconnected battery but does not know if it was the black or red wire. She had people over who really knew less than her and she knows nothing about cars so...

Old 04-30-2017, 09:20 PM
does key it's self have a chip in it or not? and if it does, does it need the chip to turn the door lock as i just did? im confused on chips and such

Old 04-30-2017, 09:26 PM
Infiniti said this key does not belong to it and said they don't understand how it was working for me but i dont trust them because i swear i seen a vid on youtube of a guy using a key this shape to start his infiniti....

Attached Thumbnails HELP KEY WONT TURN!!!! 06 G35x-infiniti-key.jpg  
Old 04-30-2017, 09:37 PM
party man thank you so much for the window thing but you said it backwards, I turned it right and they went down and i almost **** my self i was so pissed but then left went up. Right is down left is up. I had plastic wrap trying to keep the rain out it looked like i had smashed windows looked so bad for the last few days
Oops... sorry... but you get the idea. I was just going from memory on the direction to turn it.

G35's came with 4 keys when they were purchased new from the dealer. 2 are fully functioning keys, each with key fobs and both with a chip in them. There is also a valet key with a chip in it but no key fob and this can be used only to open the drivers side door but can't be used to open the glove box. There is also a wallet key card thing that comes in a plastic piece that resembles a credit card with a key-shaped cutout in it. You pop the key out of that plastic piece and can use it as an emergency access tool to open the drivers side door and get into your car in case you ever lock yourself out, but it has no chip and can't be used to start the vehicle.

If you use a copied key without a chip in it, you will be able to turn the key and the starter will spin (making it sound like the car will start), but the engine will never actually start. I've tested this before by using the emergency wallet key, just to see what the car would do.

By the way.. I like your username. Haha.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:39 PM
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts
Infiniti said this key does not belong to it and said they don't understand how it was working for me but i dont trust them because i swear i seen a vid on youtube of a guy using a key this shape to start his infiniti....
That is the key that is tucked inside the intelligent key fob which gives you keyless start and entry when you have the whole unit. My G, my son's Rogue and my wife's QX60 all have the same keys.

I've had to use them before when the fob battery died. I will tell you from my experience that there is only 1 way to put it in....try flipping it over in the other direction and see if that works

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (05-01-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 09:50 PM
So the fact that my key was starting the car means my key has a chip in it? and even if it did not the switch would still turn it just would not start? Meaning it's probably my tumbler? or?

The keys fine your saying?

Old 04-30-2017, 10:04 PM
So the fact that my key was starting the car means my key has a chip in it? and even if it did not the switch would still turn it just would not start? Meaning it's probably my tumbler? or?

The keys fine your saying?
I would assume it has a chip in it if it started before using that key. Really my point of explaining that whole emergency wallet key thing to you was to isolate the fact that the presence or absence of a chip in the key has nothing to do with turning the key in the ignition. It just prevents the car from actually firing up when the starter turns the motor. Something seems to be messed up with your ignition lock from the sounds of things. I assume you've tried flipping the key over the other way and inserting it to see if it works that way?

Definitely try cleaning out the lock as I mentioned earlier. Powdered graphite works wonders in lock mechanisms. You'd want to flush that WD-40 out of there first though with the electrical contact cleaner, because it might get gummy in there. Try to avoid using WD40 inside locks if you can. It holds dirt and isn't recommended as a long term solution for lock internals.

I'm not sure how sensitive the chip sensor is in these cars. It's possible that there is another key with a chip in it stashed somewhere in the car like in the glove box, and that's letting you start the car with a key that doesn't have a chip in it. This is a common trick that is used by installers of remote-starter systems. They take one of the keys with a chip in it and hide it in a little box somewhere near the sensor, effectively disabling the added security that you get from having a chip requirement in the key that starts the vehicle (so basically someone could hotwire your car and steal it easily now with that setup provided they could get by the steering column lockout).

You might also want to try making sure the car is fully in Park (assuming it's an automatic). Some cars run into issues with a combination of the steering wheel lockout, auto transmission park sensor, and the ignition key system if the shifter isn't fully seated in P. I'm not sure if this is common on G35's or not, but it's definitely common on other vehicles.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:16 PM
I think we would have been told that but idk. we probably would have found it . I just tried key both ways what happens is it just goes beep beeb beeb beep inside in 2 diff tones and a red key shows up on the dash

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.