G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Water in Trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 02:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water in Trunk

I just purchased a 2003 Coupe 6mt about 2 months ago. I a few days ago I had noticed that there was some condensation up around my third brake light that got me digging. I pulled out the carpet and then the 2 plastic trays and spare to get to metal in the trunk area. I also removed the vertical plastic pieces to get access behind the tail lights.

With all that digging I found my water issue. There are literally two holes in the vertical panel just under the tail lights that are letting water just drip right into the trunk. From the looks of it and from just sheer logic I would say they are supposed to be capped with something like maybe a rubber grommet or something like that.

I've dug around some parts diagrams but can't seem to find one way or another if I'm just missing parts there and if I am where to get them because I cant seem to locate them on diagrams.

Ill post some pics of the offending area and maybe you guys can tell me if and or what is supposed to be there. Thanks

Somehow uploading the pics the first one got flipped upside down. Both these pics come from the vertical panel that houses the tail lights. These two holes are just under the tail light area one on each side with the one on the passenger side of car being slightly larger in size

Attached Thumbnails Water in Trunk-20170516_211218.jpg   Water in Trunk-20170516_211253.jpg  
Old 05-22-2017, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Most of the time there is a leak, one of the drains is clogged. Check your drains and see if there are any issues!

The following users liked this post:
skunkle121 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 04:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There's most likely some sort of plug there, although why they're missing is a good question (previously body damage to the rear end/). I'd check with a dealer and go through their parts diagrams, or find one in a wrecking yard to see what's supposed to be there.

The following users liked this post:
skunkle121 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 11:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RyanY. You are exactly right. Went to the dealership and they wanted to charge me $135.00 "diagnostic fee" to see where the water was coming in from even though I completely ripped out the trunk's carpet and cosmetic panels and did all the work to see where it was coming from. SMH. Needless to say I didn't pay them 135 for them to tell me what I already knew. I went to parts department and looked at endless amounts of parts diagrams to no avail. They pretty much told me you are SOL unless you bought the entire panel the rubber grommets sit in. No thanks.

Went to a pull yard right afterward. Pulled the two needed rubber grommets in about 10 secs and the junk yard gave them to me for free. If it wasn't down pouring the rain at the time I should have spent a few more min looking at the junked trunk to see if mine looked similar in all the body panels. I myself am really quite curious as to why those grommets were missing in mine. I'm def no body shop guy but looking at my car it doesn't seem that anything is really out of place or panels that have been crunched, mangled or welded in any funny fashion. Car had a clean Carfax report but I realize not everything gets reported. Very odd issue to have. Nobody would have a reason to remove those grommets from what I can tell, although one of the previous owners did a terrible job installing the optional xm sat adapter and antenna so who knows what else he or she messed with.

Attached Thumbnails Water in Trunk-ccd5d988-b91b-479b-bd5f-6120f1401575.jpg  

Last edited by skunkle121; 05-23-2017 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
People doing shoddy electrical work grinds my gears so much. Previous owner was likely a big dummy about the mods too.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:20 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Another much needed win for the forum, OP glad you got it worked out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.