G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 serpentine belt and tire pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 serpentine belt and tire pressure sensors

Hello,
I gave a down payment to buy a 2006 G35 with 67000mi.
I did a video to the engine running because the serpentine belt is doin a slight noise and I do not know if it is normal. Here is the short video:

another issue is the tire pressure alarm which is on. The owner told me the tires pressure sensors at least one of them needs a new battery (??) I do not know if it is true or not.
Anyway is it expensive to change the tire pressure sensors ?
Would it be possible to disable the alarm on the dash ?

Sorry for so many questions. I hae another one. I think the owner never did a transmission fluid flush service. At what mileage is it needed ?
thank you!

Old 05-21-2017, 01:11 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Sounds perfectly normal to me. As far as the transmission goes, assuming it's an automatic we recommend drain and fills. Doing a complete flush can do more harm than good and I'd recommend doing them every 30K miles. The transmission holds 10 1/2 quarts or thereabouts and a drain and fill will replace between 3.5 -4 qts.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:44 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
TPMS sensors only have a life span of about 5 to 10 years. You can't replace the battery, just replace the sensor. Usually best to replace all 4 so they're on the same "timeline" lifespan wise. Easiest is to just have them replaced when you need new tires next.

Can't disable the light in the dash. I've had that light on for 3 to 4 years now because I never bothered to get sensors for my summer wheels, and the factory sensors are now dead in my 06.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's possible that you don't actually have a dead TPMS sensor - there is a procedure in the factory service manual for resetting the TPMS sensors, it's not too difficult and might fix your problem with no cost. It involves setting each tire to a different pressure then driving the vehicle a specified distance - you'd have to look up the specifics since I don't recall the exact procedure offhand.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:36 PM
It sounds like you may have a bad bearing in the belt tensioner or idler pulley. Remove the belt and rotate the pulleys by hand, feeling for any roughness or resistance - anything other than smooth, silent rotation is grounds for replacement.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryan do you think I Can continue to drive like that for a while ?
I plan to do 1800 miles this weekend.

thanks to all for the answers.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Yeah you could, but it could fail at any time I suppose.

Ymmv, you should make that determination on your own.

I won't drive something that might not get me across the country that minute if I had to.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:06 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Do you have a mechanic's stethoscope? If so, you can try pressing it against the support for the idler pulley (don't touch the moving belts or pulley though!) and see if you hear a loud vibration coming from it that matches the noise you're hearing from the engine bay. Sometimes even taking a big screwdriver and pressing it firmly against the bracket that holds the pulley can amplify the sound and isolate its source for you if you don't have a stethoscope.

You can also try wiggling the pulleys with the engine off and see if there is any lateral play in them. There should be no noticeable play in any of your pulleys. It's probably not a safe thing to buy a used car and then drive it 1800 miles without having spent enough time behind the wheel of it to find out if there are any hidden problems with it.

If I were you, i'd probably drive the **** out of that thing and be really alert to noticing anything. Make sure you check all of your fluids too and really prep it as much as possible. Check the condition of your belts, etc and look at the front tires for wear on the inner edge with the tires cranked all the way to one side.

Drive around with the A/C on and make sure the car doesn't overheat in traffic and check to make sure both cooling fans near the radiator turn on when the car gets hot and is idling with the A/C on.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:09 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Engine sounds normal to me too! Trans service s/b done according to Nissan every 30K miles, depending where you live that's not often enough! Living in SoCal where we have hot weather, I have a drain/fill done once a year. It is called drain/fill, even Nissan doesn't recommend flushing our ATs! Tire sensors do have battery's and they begin to fail after 5 to 10 years of use! Tire stores charge stupid $$ for them. Nissan tire sensors, have a tire store install them for you...no worries!
Good Luck & Enjoy the Ride...Gary

Old 05-23-2017, 10:09 AM
Personally I'd expect the noise to be far worse if a bearing was near failing, and the fact that the car only has 67K miles on it would make me feel a bit more secure about driving it. If you're committed to driving 1800 miles, check everything out thoroughly as partyman66 noted above, and be prepared in case something does happen (AAA membership current?).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.