G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

06 G35 coupe knocking sensors misbehavior ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 G35 coupe knocking sensors misbehavior ?

Hello all.
I am concerned about my engine. I put 89 just out of curiosity, half tank.
it is my first refueling on this car which I got 2 days ago.
As I said I put 89 gas and at very low RPM like 1700RPM with gear number 3rd
if I just press a little bit on the throttle (And only if a little bit) I hear for a fraction of second pinging/knocking. It does not happen always but at least 50% of times. At Higher RPMs I cannot feel that, but the engine sound is louder so I am not sure if it is even possible to hear knocking above 2000rpm. I could anyway say I am enough confident there is no knocking above 2000RPM. Knocking (slightly fraction of 1 second)
happens between 1000 and 2000 RPM and usually with Manual/Sequential shift mode with a 3rd 4th gear in, while in drive D mode happens less frequently.
Might I have bad knock sensors ? the pinging just lasts half a second or less...
I'll try with 91 but this engine should not knock at all because the timings are adjusted automatically by the knocking sensors and so the detonation should not occur.
Or am I totally wrong ?

Any hints or experience ? By the way I Can hear the slight fraction of second pinging only if I keep the driver window open, otherwise it is very hard to notice.

I am sure the noise is not something else. The car has new serpentine belts new tensioners and new pulleys brand new stock parts from infiniti and the engine is very quiet, no strange noises.

thanks to all

Old 05-27-2017, 10:44 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Sounds normal to me. Infiniti recommends premium fuel on the G's but it's fine to run 89. As long as the noise is more of a ping than a knock you should be good to go.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes it is really a slight ping not really a knock

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.