G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 loses power when raining hard

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 06:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 loses power when raining hard

Why happened today happened a few months ago. today I was on my way to work and it was pouring out. After a while my car loses power and no throttle and it slows down to a stop and idles rough and dies. I tried to start it and after a couple of attempts it starts and then does it after another couple of
miles. Started it again and made it to work. After my 9 hour shift it starts and runs fine. Same thing happened to me a couple months ago and had to get it towed to my house. I just unplugged the battery overnight and it was fine. Now it happened again so the rain has to be the cause. Any thoughts.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:19 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Coil packs are probably not sealing out moisture. The symptoms you speak of used to be common back in the day on cars with replaceable distributor caps, rotors, and wire sets. The coil pack basically does the same thing as all of that except for with electronic ignition controls on modern vehicles. If the spark isn't getting to the plugs, it's going to misfire and idle rough or not at all.

Pull the coil packs and have a look at them to see if the rubber and plastic lining is all deteriorated and cracked. There should also be a thin coating of di-electric grease on the inside to help keep moisture off of the connection to the spark plugs.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by partyman66
Coil packs are probably not sealing out moisture. The symptoms you speak of used to be common back in the day on cars with replaceable distributor caps, rotors, and wire sets. The coil pack basically does the same thing as all of that except for with electronic ignition controls on modern vehicles. If the spark isn't getting to the plugs, it's going to misfire and idle rough or not at all.

Pull the coil packs and have a look at them to see if the rubber and plastic lining is all deteriorated and cracked. There should also be a thin coating of di-electric grease on the inside to help keep moisture off of the connection to the spark plugs.
I'll take a look. Only has happened when it's pouring to the point where u almost have to pull over because u can't see. I was thinking somehow
to was
splashing in somewhere it shouldn't be. Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.