G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Can I install RAS if I don't have it?

Old 08-19-2017, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I install RAS if I don't have it?

I wanted to know if its possible to install RAS (Reas Active Steering) on an Infiniti G35 Coupe that does not already have it

Old 08-19-2017, 08:22 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Long story short, YES, but it's a significant amount of stuff to install including the RAS controller (plugs into the CAN system), RAS motor/actuator assembly and rear suspension components, rear steering angle sensors, possibly chassis wiring (easy to peek near the rear axle and see if the RAS motor wiring is taped back onto the wiring harness, possibly the instrument cluster (not 100% sure about this one, I think they ALL come with the RAS provisions).

Fortunately the system is fairly isolated and doesn't send info back to the ECU, the RAS controller reads vehicle speed and steering angle (via the CAN system) and triggers the motor/actuator to operate, the rear steering angle sensors provide the necessary feedback to the controller to ensure proper operation. In the event of a failure in the system the RAS controller disables operations and sends the RAS error back to the CAN system which will illuminate the RAS light on the dash.

I would only do this if you have a RAS equipped donor vehicle that you can rob parts from, trying to piece together everything will be a pita. It would be a lot easier to simply purchase an '06-'07 coupe with it installed, I know they can be a little difficult to find but it was a popular option since (pulling numbers from my butt) "most" coupes with the aero package (spoiler, diffusers) came with RAS (yes it was still an option that had to be checked off when ordering). Easy enough to check though since you can visually SEE the equipment on the rear axle without lifting the vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
deeliciousqueen (08-20-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Long story short, YES, but it's a significant amount of stuff to install including the RAS controller (plugs into the CAN system), RAS motor/actuator assembly and rear suspension components, rear steering angle sensors, possibly chassis wiring (easy to peek near the rear axle and see if the RAS motor wiring is taped back onto the wiring harness, possibly the instrument cluster (not 100% sure about this one, I think they ALL come with the RAS provisions).

Fortunately the system is fairly isolated and doesn't send info back to the ECU, the RAS controller reads vehicle speed and steering angle (via the CAN system) and triggers the motor/actuator to operate, the rear steering angle sensors provide the necessary feedback to the controller to ensure proper operation. In the event of a failure in the system the RAS controller disables operations and sends the RAS error back to the CAN system which will illuminate the RAS light on the dash.

I would only do this if you have a RAS equipped donor vehicle that you can rob parts from, trying to piece together everything will be a pita. It would be a lot easier to simply purchase an '06-'07 coupe with it installed, I know they can be a little difficult to find but it was a popular option since (pulling numbers from my butt) "most" coupes with the aero package (spoiler, diffusers) came with RAS (yes it was still an option that had to be checked off when ordering). Easy enough to check though since you can visually SEE the equipment on the rear axle without lifting the vehicle.
Thanks a lot! I appreciate it

Old 08-21-2017, 01:05 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
The bang for the buck gain in doing this would be extremely small.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:56 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
All depends, if you can get the hardware for ~$500 then it would definitely be worth it.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:44 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
There is also a relay and some stuff in the trunk I think. I have RAS on my car and it's been pretty flaky as of now. There isn't much to troubleshoot it and if you need to replace something...it's expensive.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:03 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yeah the box in the trunk that says "Nissan HICAS" is the RAS controller.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:51 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
I think I looked this up one day when I was bored and considering the idea. The steering angle sensor in the steering wheel is different, and the steering rack itself is different. Those actually seemed like the hardest items to source/install in my opinion.

Other items not quite mentioned above are the whole rear subframe and toe arms/buckets. The controller interfaces with CAN, so all you really need is to get it power and the sub-harness for the actuators.

A totaled parts car would be best option as I imagine piecing all the little parts separately would cost too much to make the swap worth while.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also apparently RAS wont work with certain exhausts. not sure which ones but im currently researching to figure it out

Old 09-04-2017, 04:17 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I remember reading that anything following the stock single pipe will work and only the true dual exhaust systems won't work.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.