G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Loud thud, car shake while driving low rpm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 09:35 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I definitely think it's the transmission now. To me it sounds like gears are slipping causing the noise and vibration which would also explain the RPM jumps with no power. Then they catch and all is well. It seems the noise is closer to you than an engine issue would be, on my laptop's poor speakers it sounds like something's vibrating right under the floor of the car.

But I'm not an expert and members like cleric have vastly more technical knowledge than I do so I'll stay subscribed to this thread bcuz I'm curious what it turns out to be. I can honestly say that after owning my G for 9 years I've never heard of another G or Z have an issue like what you're going through and over the years I have known/know several hundred G and Z owners..

Old 04-17-2018, 09:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I definitely think it's the transmission now. To me it sounds like gears are slipping causing the noise and vibration which would also explain the RPM jumps with no power. Then they catch and all is well. It seems the noise is closer to you than an engine issue would be, on my laptop's poor speakers it sounds like something's vibrating right under the floor of the car.

But I'm not an expert and members like cleric have vastly more technical knowledge than I do so I'll stay subscribed to this thread bcuz I'm curious what it turns out to be. I can honestly say that after owning my G for 9 years I've never heard of another G or Z have an issue like what you're going through and over the years I have known/know several hundred G and Z owners..
Thanks for the input. Yeah I couldn’t find ANYONE who had this issue whether it was a Z or a G. I will say that I did have a transmission issue back in ‘14. Had a solenoid replaced but all was good after that. I’ll take it to a reputable mechanic on an off day and see if that is the case. If it is then unfortunately that’ll be the end of my 6 years with her. Not worth doing that job on a car this old with low value. Hurts my heart saying it.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:18 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Lol that is wild. I can't even think of anything on the car that sounds like that. It almost doesn't sound metalic enough to be gears..but it does sound like some fluttering gears.

Hmm..do you have a baseball card in your spokes?

Old 04-17-2018, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Lol that is wild. I can't even think of anything on the car that sounds like that. It almost doesn't sound metalic enough to be gears..but it does sound like some fluttering gears.

Hmm..do you have a baseball card in your spokes?
It doesn’t sound as metallic. Not since I swapped out the diff bushings. It’s just weird man.

I’ll double check on the spokes lol.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:08 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Oh, Snap, that's kind of the same chatter (but more violent) that comes from the ABS a little after you start the car. Wonder if it could be an ABS issue in the rear.

When's the last time you changed youe brake fluid?

Old 04-18-2018, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Oh, Snap, that's kind of the same chatter (but more violent) that comes from the ABS a little after you start the car. Wonder if it could be an ABS issue in the rear.

When's the last time you changed youe brake fluid?
i looked up abs symptoms and it’s awfully similar. I did a fluid change at 152k and now I’m at 173k. Guess I’ll do another fluid change as well as clean the wheel speed sensor to see if I can rule that out.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:29 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Wow that sounds absolutely terrible... If it wasn't for the rpm flutter I'd say to check the front bolts on the plastic engine bay cover under the vehicle it sounds like something flapping in the wind and slapping the car really hard.

I think youre going to need to take this to a shop asap for a diagnosis before it Kabooms and leaves you stuck on the road.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (04-19-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 09:22 PM
So after doing some more digging and self diagnosing, it turns out it’s what’s called a “transmission chatter”. Basically it’s either failed fluid or slipping torque converter clutch because of loss of fluid pressure.

Sooooo, it’s either I try to drop the pan, change the filter and drain the fluid out a couple of times, or I just let it die. Not gonna let it die!

Old 04-21-2018, 03:33 PM
Does anyone know if the pan bolts are reusable? The FSM says it's not but there's no part number listed for the bolts when looking online.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:54 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Wow that's funny it DOES say to not reuse transmission bolts, probably the same sort of thing as it saying not to reuse the intake manifold bolts. It's a cheap insurance policy for the dealership against anything potentially happening to the transmission, they have deniability against fastener problems because they used new bolts. I would definitely reuse them without a second though.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Wow that's funny it DOES say to not reuse transmission bolts, probably the same sort of thing as it saying not to reuse the intake manifold bolts. It's a cheap insurance policy for the dealership against anything potentially happening to the transmission, they have deniability against fastener problems because they used new bolts. I would definitely reuse them without a second though.
Maybe apply some blue threadlocker to prevent it from leaking?

Old 04-21-2018, 05:56 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Nahh the bolts aren't going to leak, you will be using permatex ultra grey on the pan gasket though.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Nahh the bolts aren't going to leak, you will be using permatex ultra grey on the pan gasket though.
Not the oem gasket? 31397-90X00

Old 04-21-2018, 10:52 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Ohhh sorry, I forgot that pan had a gasket.

The following users liked this post:
Genthusiast35 (04-23-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 09:00 PM
Quick update, dropped the pan last week, cleaned it up changed the filter. Filter looked good, but changed it anyway, but boy was the pan dirty. The two magnets had an insane amount of metal shavings, didn’t look too good, fluid was very very dark and had a burnt smell.

So dropped the pan, changed the fluid the first time (5 qts). and then did a fluid change over the weekend, 4 qts. Definitely isn’t as violent but still there. Not sure if I should do it again to the point where the atf is pink instead of a brownish pink which it is at the moment. Hmmmmm.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.