Loud thud, car shake while driving low rpm - G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member



G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07
Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Loud thud, car shake while driving low rpm

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 04-17-2018, 12:03 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Valley Stream, NY
Posts: 156
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
[VIDEO] Loud thud, car shake while driving low rpm

hey guys, so Iím having this issue and I canít get a grasp on what it could be. While driving, after the car is warmed up and after some driving, my car gives out a loud thudding from the rear and itís so loud and violent that the entire car shakes. Only happens while rpm is low and the road has some imperfections. It feels as if something is slipping. The rpms shoot up while thudding and then drop back down. Initially I thought it was the diff so I found a used low mile one at a junkyard and swapped it out as well as swapping all the diff bushings to whiteline. I also changed the endlinks while I was at it. Overall the car is stiffer and the thudding isnít as violent because of the new bushing but itís still there. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the tires?



Last edited by Genthusiast35; 04-17-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-17-2018, 12:10 PM
SoCal04G35's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 28
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
rear axle shafts loose?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-17-2018, 12:11 PM
cleric670@gmail's Avatar
Cleric670
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3,940
Thanked 396 Times in 381 Posts
I'd get under it and pry around on every single suspension or driveline component to find out what's worn. If it had a bolt or a bushing then it has the potential to fail, also inspect for broken welds. Re-torque everything, including the subframe bolts.

Are you sure you don't have a slipping clutch?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-17-2018, 12:39 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Valley Stream, NY
Posts: 156
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal04G35 View Post
rear axle shafts loose?
Tightened the axle shafts to spec and applied threadlocker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'd get under it and pry around on every single suspension or driveline component to find out what's worn. If it had a bolt or a bushing then it has the potential to fail, also inspect for broken welds. Re-torque everything, including the subframe bolts.

Are you sure you don't have a slipping clutch?
Everything was tight under there. A lot of rust but nothing looked out of wack. I have an at so clutch is out of the question. Unless my at is slipping.

I just donít get what could cause such a violent reaction. Makes driving unbearable.

My tires are starting to wear out. Could that have anything to do with it?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-17-2018, 12:58 PM
cleric670@gmail's Avatar
Cleric670
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3,940
Thanked 396 Times in 381 Posts
Check your AT fluid level, it could be running low on fluid then you get a sudden burst of torque as line pressure builds up.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-17-2018, 01:01 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Valley Stream, NY
Posts: 156
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Check your AT fluid level, it could be running low on fluid then you get a sudden burst of torque as line pressure builds up.
That I haven't checked. I'll def check that.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-17-2018, 01:26 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Valley Stream, NY
Posts: 156
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Check your AT fluid level, it could be running low on fluid then you get a sudden burst of torque as line pressure builds up.
Checked atf, levels looked good. This is getting frustrating.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-17-2018, 01:38 PM
cleric670@gmail's Avatar
Cleric670
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3,940
Thanked 396 Times in 381 Posts
What happens when you use a service jack to lift up the vehicle? Do you hear any wierd noise coming from the suspension as you raise it? Maybe indicating something is broken or severely worn.

Also if you have a sunroof equipped are you sure the sound isn't coming from the sunroof?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-17-2018, 01:40 PM
cleric670@gmail's Avatar
Cleric670
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3,940
Thanked 396 Times in 381 Posts
Also, take out the trunk floor mat and both plastic dividers and check to make sure everything is securely bolted down like the spare tire/jack/HICAS controller, etc
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-17-2018, 01:59 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Valley Stream, NY
Posts: 156
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
What happens when you use a service jack to lift up the vehicle? Do you hear any wierd noise coming from the suspension as you raise it? Maybe indicating something is broken or severely worn.

Also if you have a sunroof equipped are you sure the sound isn't coming from the sunroof?
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Also, take out the trunk floor mat and both plastic dividers and check to make sure everything is securely bolted down like the spare tire/jack/HICAS controller, etc
Nope everything is sound. Even when driving.

It feels as if gears are slipping. It cant be the diff since i swapped it to another one. I dont see how the tranny could be slipping since it doesnt give off erratic downshift or upshift.

And still, somehow the rear just goes nuts and starts thudding and shaking the damn car.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-17-2018, 02:26 PM
Urbanengineer's Avatar
Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pig Town, OHIO
Posts: 8,679
Thanked 676 Times in 640 Posts
I'd recommend re checking the rear suspension. Maybe your diff bushing is completely screwed?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-17-2018, 02:38 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Valley Stream, NY
Posts: 156
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
I'd recommend re checking the rear suspension. Maybe your diff bushing is completely screwed?
Well initially i thought it was because of that. So i swapped it and put in whitelines. Now its not AS violent but the judder is still there. Sometimes it gets so bad, that it goes on for 15 seconds. Cant even accelerate to keep up with traffic.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-17-2018, 05:47 PM
Blue Dream's Avatar
I drove ttrank's car solo
iTrader: (50)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: By the sea, Tx
Posts: 17,111
Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,050 Posts
It sounds like your tranny is about to implode, I'd have it towed somewhere to be looked at. I've been involved in a massive transmission failure in the past and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

I don't know that anything not mechanical could cause the symptoms you are describing and it sounds like you've ruled out the diff. as a potential cause.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-17-2018, 06:21 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Valley Stream, NY
Posts: 156
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dream View Post
It sounds like your tranny is about to implode, I'd have it towed somewhere to be looked at. I've been involved in a massive transmission failure in the past and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

I don't know that anything not mechanical could cause the symptoms you are describing and it sounds like you've ruled out the diff. as a potential cause.
you think so? I dont seen any other sign of a bad tranny. it shifts smoothly.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-17-2018, 09:24 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Valley Stream, NY
Posts: 156
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Added a video to better help hear it. You can hear it a couple of times in the video.



Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Copyright ©2002 - 2017, G35DRIVER.COM All Rights Reserved.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: