G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Catch Can orientation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 07:22 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
G35C 5AT
Catch Can orientation

So I've got a Mishimoto catch can, internally baffled, with a sight tube. I've been trying to find a better place than where it currently resides in front of the timing chain cover, but I may have to rotate it 90 degrees. Will a baffled catch can with a sight tube still work correctly when on its side (sight tube laying horizontally instead of vertically)? I'm worried about getting oil through the baffles the wrong way, especially when the car is off.

I may have to eventually swap to a smaller can, this Mishimoto one catches maybe a 15th of its capacity each 3000 miles...bit too large for my needs.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:31 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Which one do you have? I have a Mishimoto baffled can and it fits nicely next to the power steering reservoir.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:41 AM
G35C 5AT
Opened the can up and it appears I have the non-baffled interior one, specifically https://www.z1motorsports.com/forced...n-p-12716.html. I wish I had gotten the small baffled can, as that would have fit quite well where you described

It does catch oil, but I have to question how much it's passing onto the plenum; think I would be safe adding some quality steel wool into it? I found a perfect place to mount it, off the passenger-side timing-chain cover ground location, so it's no longer touching any coolant tubes or parts of the engine. It's a big can, so it's a tight squeeze. I guess my question now is if the baffling really makes a huge difference, and, if it does, if steel wool is a good material to pop in there.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:42 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Which one do you have? I have a Mishimoto baffled can and it fits nicely next to the power steering reservoir.
Cleric670 has the best

Old 06-05-2018, 10:14 AM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Spent like $20 making my own. Super functional, last picture is amount of oil captured after a 600 mile round tip from ATL to CLT.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:10 PM
G35C 5AT
Based off of Conissah's pictures, I think I'm going to fab up an aluminum divider between the two ports (both on top, just lead into the top of the can with no interior tube/divider) and put some good steel wool-type material on the intake side, to lessen the chance of sucking it back into the plenum. The ports lead into the can at a 45 degree angle, so making a tube that goes to the bottom of the can is a bit beyond my ability, unless I make it out of rubber (would that be safe? Drill holes in a piece of rubber tubing, attach one end to interior can intake and other just goes to bottom of the can, and wrap the whole thing in steel wool.)

Old 06-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Magneu
Based off of Conissah's pictures, I think I'm going to fab up an aluminum divider between the two ports (both on top, just lead into the top of the can with no interior tube/divider) and put some good steel wool-type material on the intake side, to lessen the chance of sucking it back into the plenum. The ports lead into the can at a 45 degree angle, so making a tube that goes to the bottom of the can is a bit beyond my ability, unless I make it out of rubber (would that be safe? Drill holes in a piece of rubber tubing, attach one end to interior can intake and other just goes to bottom of the can, and wrap the whole thing in steel wool.)
DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL! Steel wool has small fibers that will shred and go directly into your engine. I used stainless steel scrubbers, which are 1 solid piece of stainless, and secured it with aluminum wire to ensure that it wouldn't fray off. DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL!

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (06-07-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 04:28 PM
G35C 5AT
Originally Posted by Conissah
DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL! Steel wool has small fibers that will shred and go directly into your engine. I used stainless steel scrubbers, which are 1 solid piece of stainless, and secured it with aluminum wire to ensure that it wouldn't fray off. DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL!
Good thing I've been too busy to open it back up today. Stainless steel scrubbers it is!

Old 06-07-2018, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Conissah
Yes, great point. I've seen way too many people using steel wool lmao.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's your guys opinion on completely closed catch can system? As in each tube from valve covers connect to can and that's it.... has filter on top

Old 06-08-2018, 06:50 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
So you just want crankcase ventilation, nothing returned to the intake. PERSONALLY, and this is said with huge capital letters, for a daily driver I like the system drawn back to the intake.

The intake vacuum creates a LOT if airflow through the valve covers as it literally sucks the air out, this keeps all that nasty **** from accumulating and contaminating the oil. Without the intake vacuum the air is only pushed out by the positive pressure created by the blow-by gas. If you've ever smelled the oil in a catch can then you know exactly how contaminated the oil can get. You don't want that to happen in your crankcase. Track-only cars are a completely different monster.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:35 PM
G35C 5AT
Going off of Bbakrr18's question, what's the advantage of a driver-side catch can? I thought the general consensus was that only passenger side was usually needed.