G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Terrible idle..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 04:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terrible idle..

Hello everyone. I have an 04 g35 coupe that idles low, surges, and sounds like it wants to die. Idle is violent like a cammed v8. It drives fine only seems like a small misfire randomly when cruising in town. Accelerates fine or highway is fine. Put in new MAF sensor, crankshaft sensor, TPS, new plugs gapped to .043 NGK coils seem good might order new ones along with pcv. Did the idle relearning but that didnt seem to do anything. No check engine codes now but previously it was the random misfire code. It has a cat delete with test pipes. Would that affect the idle at all with the o2 sensors? Small exhaust like on the Y pipe, didnt affect it before. Any ideas would be great its driving me insane.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:16 AM
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Rav5master
Hello everyone. I have an 04 g35 coupe that idles low, surges, and sounds like it wants to die. Idle is violent like a cammed v8. It drives fine only seems like a small misfire randomly when cruising in town. Accelerates fine or highway is fine. Put in new MAF sensor, crankshaft sensor, TPS, new plugs gapped to .043 NGK coils seem good might order new ones along with pcv. Did the idle relearning but that didnt seem to do anything. No check engine codes now but previously it was the random misfire code. It has a cat delete with test pipes. Would that affect the idle at all with the o2 sensors? Small exhaust like on the Y pipe, didnt affect it before. Any ideas would be great its driving me insane.
Have you thought about a vacuum leak? It would for sure cause a stumbly idle. As far as the test pipes go, it 100% should NOT effect your idle. Also check into your coil packs, when you did your plugs you may have accidentally plugged them in wrong (hard to do but possible), meaning cyl 2 wire is running to cyl 3 or something. Or you could have a bad coil pack. Go buy a new one, and swap it with an old and start the car to see if it's gotten better, if not move to the next one. I would start with checking coil pack wires, then vacuum leak, then buying a new pack and seeing which one might be bad.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:21 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with the random misfire code coupled with occasional single cylinder misfire codes. My car doesn't drive fine at all, I consider it "broken down" as driving it in its current state is likely damaging more expensive components.

I just went though and unplugged each of my coils while the engine was idling one at a time. For 5 of my coils, removing the plug caused it to run notably worse, but for one of the coils pulling the plug doesn't do anything.

Then I swapped coil locations and tested those two again to see if the problem was with the coil or something particular to that cylinder, and the problem (unplugging causes no change in idle) follows the coil regardless of cylinder. Maybe doing this to your car would uncover a problem?

Last edited by cswlightning; 06-20-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by cswlightning
I'm having a similar issue with the random misfire code coupled with occasional single cylinder misfire codes. My car doesn't drive fine at all, I consider it "broken down" as driving it in its current state is likely damaging more expensive components.

I just went though and unplugged each of my coils while the engine was idling one at a time. For 5 of my coils, removing the plug caused it to run notably worse, but for one of the coils pulling the plug doesn't do anything.

Then I swapped coil locations and tested those two again to see if the problem was with the coil or something particular to that cylinder.

Maybe you're having a coil issue as well? It seems like you've thrown some parts at it which is more than I've done as I want to find the problem 100% before buying any parts.

I'm also ge
I ran into this problem last winter. Unplugged then one by one until I found the culprit, bought a new one and haven't had the issue since. If you unplugged the 1 coil pack and the idle didn't change at all, it's VERY likely its the actual pack that is bad. Go buy a new one and swap it, even if it isn't the issue you can just return the part. I'm willing to bet that would fix both of your issues.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Goood ideas ^

Old 06-20-2018, 10:08 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Part has been ordered overnight from amazon, Hitachi OE part for $30 arriving tonight. Sure beats paying $60 at NAPA for a duralast....
Hopefully this solves my problem and maybe provides some direction for OP in fixing his issue.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replys everyone. Whats the best way to test for a vacuum leak? I ordered a new coil to try it out on all of them hopefully to find the bad one.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Rav5master
Thanks for the replys everyone. Whats the best way to test for a vacuum leak? I ordered a new coil to try it out on all of them hopefully to find the bad one.
A smoke/fog machine will be able to pinpoint where the leak is. If you have a bluetooth OBDII connector, you can pair your phone and see if vacuum is on there. I know on the HR 350z it is, but it may not be for our cars; if it has data then the number should be ~19-20 at idle. Anyway, you can run the smoke/fog into various tubes on the engine, and if there are any leaks you will see the smoke/fog coming out. The link below details how to perform various tests.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...a-vacuum-leak/

Old 06-21-2018, 08:49 AM
Double post.