G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 Turn Signals issue / Not working on the outside at all

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Turn Signals issue / Not working on the outside at all

Hi everyone, looking for help on diagnosing a no turn signal issues on an 05 g35 manual. Recently i swapped everything for an 05 manual to a 03 auto shell and everything is ok other then I don't have any signals working on the exterior of the car. Everything is showing correctly on the inside. The four ways work on the inside and single left and right signals are showing correctly on the inside dash display. Four way works normal in blinking sequence but the single turn left to right are showing as tho a blown light bulb, so more rapid blinking sequence. I have no wiring diagrams. I was able to pull out a location of the fuse under the dash and check it and its good. I also checked the side turn signals on the front and they are not getting any voltage when the four ways are turned on. I am hopping to find why i am not getting any voltage to the outside and the fuse. As well would love to figure out where the relay is located for the turn signals. Can anyone let me know? Found online that the relay for the signals might be in the BCM? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:17 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Do you have proper operation of all other buttons on the clock switch including wipers, horn, stereo controls, etc?

The following users liked this post:
Manojlovic (10-08-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 09:57 PM
clock switch works, wipers work, i don't have the steering wheel air bag installed yet so no horn. Stereo options work but no Volume... The steering wheel buttons don't work tho, the stereo buttons like power on off volume or search stations does not work on the steering wheel....

Old 10-08-2018, 12:28 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Ok if the 4 ways flash properly then you know it's not the circuit going from the BCM to the lights, nor is it the ground for the lights. Also the instrument cluster lamps blink so it's not a problem with the CAN system between the BCM and the cluster. This leaves the input circuit from the switch to the BCM which goes through the clockswitch, you are also potentially having OTHER problems with the clockswitch/steering sensor assembly as well since you have steering wheel controls that don't function. I'd start by troubleshooting that system.

BCM terminals 45/46 are the input for flasher left/right, it's battery voltage in 500ms pulses so it's long enough you can measure with a test light or digital multimeter. If you are getting signal back to the BCM then you likely had the BCM crap out, if there's no voltage present then either the signal isn't making it out to the switch or it's not going through the switch back to the BCM, however you HAVE functioning headlights and wipers so I don't think the problem is the BCM output to the combination switch.

I'm suspecting either the combination switch, or the clockswitch/steering angle assembly and my gut is leaning towards the assembly because of the other components also not working that are fed through it as well but those systems will need to be troubleshooted as well so you aren't wasting money on components that aren't actually bad.

You can remove the combination switch and ring out the individual contacts with needle probes, pins 1-5 are outputs and 6-10 are the inputs, you'll just have to go through them individually to find out what does what when you actually press the buttons on the switch. If you would rather just read everything at the BCM it's pins 2-6 input and 32-36 output.

Manojlovic (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 06:55 PM
Love it thank you so much, you are a wizard. I will follow the troubleshooting steps you have suggested and see where that takes me. At least now i have an idea what to focus on and hopefully not keep on chasing electrical ghosts forever. All the best and thank you for your time, your a life saver for real

Old 10-08-2018, 07:25 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Also it's not technically " going through the clock switch", I have a bad habit of calling that whole assembly of clockswitch/steering angle sensor/combination switch/assemble the "clockswitch" even though it's a few different components that all attach to one another to make a larger assembly. When you take it apart you'll see what I mean. Be sure to make matchmarks because it has to go back together exactly the same or you will have problems like needing the steering angle sensor reset by the dealership.

Manojlovic (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 07:38 PM
yes , i understand what you mean hehehe thanks. I did take that apart my self but did not think i misaligned it when i put i back on. There is a great possibility i misaligned it.
I will start with that first.