G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New g35 owner

Old 03-02-2019, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 coupe
New g35 owner

I made a post the other day to check on where I could find the bolt that connects the power steering rack to the subframe( Nissan nor Infiniti no longer sells it)but anyways I have an 03 G35 5AT with 137K on the dash. My aunt had one a long time ago when I was a kid and just always wanted one. I also went with an Infiniti because my parents owned a 1999 i30 and got over 350k miles out of it. I'm going from a 2013 genesis( I miss her so much)had to let her go because I'm going to college and playing football in the fall and wouldnt be able to afford a car note any longer. So far I've replaced the power steering rack with a used OEM one of Ebay, new inner and outer tie rods, new valve cover gaskets, power stop ceramic pads and drilled and slotted rotors, and all work has been done at my local Nissan dealer. They say the vehicle is in excellent condition. I plan to do do some mods to it so any suggestions?

Old 03-02-2019, 12:50 PM
BANNED!!!
Received 817 Likes on 751 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Well you're going to hate hearing this but I strongly recommend only doing maintenance on the vehicle and not modding it. This is entirely due to you going to college and that money will probably be better spent elsewhere. If you are paying everything out of pocket and are 100% entirely debt free then feel free to start mods. I would start by getting the vehicle 100% back to OEM spec including the cosmetic ding on the door/fender. Call around to local dentless removal shops, a lot of that can just be pulled back out. The crease on the wheelwell will be difficult but it can be made a LOT better than it is.

You're also going to have to get used to not parking so close to sidewalks, your front is grinding pretty hard on that concrete right now lol.

Once all interior and exterior deficiencies are corrected then start with something small like adding the rev-up airbox, a 350Z intake tube (z-tube, also requires the pcv hose for that side) and then a 5/16 intake plenum spacer. Focus on doing things right, buy a cheap inch/lb torque wrench that goes to 200 in/lbs. Also a 3/8 drive torque wrench with a range from like 10-80 ft/lbs. Every nut and bolt on a vehicle has a specified torque attached to it and you can save yourself a lot of headache by learning to do it right from the start.

Here is a link to the Factory Service Manual hosted by NICOCLUB, I strongly recommend you download each section pertaining to your 2003 coupe so you have it for reference in the future. It starts with the FWD document and takes a little while to learn how to use but it's the same manual the dealership uses.

https://nicoclub.com/archives/infini...e-manuals.html

With 137k miles I can guarantee your rear differential bushing is shot and will need to be replaced, I strongly recommend getting a polyurethane one like this one for example. Watch the video and you will see what to look for and how it's affecting the vehicle.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...s-p-10356.html

READ READ READ! There's over a decade of highly detailed threads here that have answered pretty much every question you could think to ask. Add "G35DRIVER" to the search box in your favorite browser alongside the question and you will likely find the answer.

The following users liked this post:
NemesisGee (03-07-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 coupe
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Well you're going to hate hearing this but I strongly recommend only doing maintenance on the vehicle and not modding it. This is entirely due to you going to college and that money will probably be better spent elsewhere. If you are paying everything out of pocket and are 100% entirely debt free then feel free to start mods. I would start by getting the vehicle 100% back to OEM spec including the cosmetic ding on the door/fender. Call around to local dentless removal shops, a lot of that can just be pulled back out. The crease on the wheelwell will be difficult but it can be made a LOT better than it is.

You're also going to have to get used to not parking so close to sidewalks, your front is grinding pretty hard on that concrete right now lol.

Once all interior and exterior deficiencies are corrected then start with something small like adding the rev-up airbox, a 350Z intake tube (z-tube, also requires the pcv hose for that side) and then a 5/16 intake plenum spacer. Focus on doing things right, buy a cheap inch/lb torque wrench that goes to 200 in/lbs. Also a 3/8 drive torque wrench with a range from like 10-80 ft/lbs. Every nut and bolt on a vehicle has a specified torque attached to it and you can save yourself a lot of headache by learning to do it right from the start.

Here is a link to the Factory Service Manual hosted by NICOCLUB, I strongly recommend you download each section pertaining to your 2003 coupe so you have it for reference in the future. It starts with the FWD document and takes a little while to learn how to use but it's the same manual the dealership uses.

https://nicoclub.com/archives/infini...e-manuals.html

With 137k miles I can guarantee your rear differential bushing is shot and will need to be replaced, I strongly recommend getting a polyurethane one like this one for example. Watch the video and you will see what to look for and how it's affecting the vehicle.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...s-p-10356.html

READ READ READ! There's over a decade of highly detailed threads here that have answered pretty much every question you could think to ask. Add "G35DRIVER" to the search box in your favorite browser alongside the question and you will likely find the answer.

I wasnt doing anything major. Was going to put an aftermarket radio in and some rims. Possibly thought about aftermarket exhaust but I doubt it. I'm already on top of those dents I have a family friend who has a body shop who will get those out and touch it up for about 250. Not sure about the rear differential bushing but I did get the car fully inspected by a Nissan dealer and all they said I had to replace was the power steering rack and I had a leak in the oil pan which they all repaired for me.

And lol yeah had to get used to the compact size of it as I'm coming from a 2013 genesis which is much much larger.