G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Engine stopped while driving. Cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 05:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
6spd MT, coupe, stock
Engine stopped while driving. Cranks but won't start

So I was driving on the freeway when the engine just stopped. I threw the car into neutral So I could coast to the side but I would put it back into 6th gear to try and press the gas, but I wouldn't get any response. Now it just cranks, I've already checked for spark and fuel, it has both. I'm going to check compression tomorrow but I'm pretty stumped on this one. Anyone got any ideas?

Old 05-31-2020, 10:41 AM
Received 394 Likes on 358 Posts
Instant shutoff probably isnt a compression issue. Is it throwing any codes?

Old 05-31-2020, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by ashleytea666
So I was driving on the freeway when the engine just stopped. I threw the car into neutral So I could coast to the side but I would put it back into 6th gear to try and press the gas, but I wouldn't get any response. Now it just cranks, I've already checked for spark and fuel, it has both. I'm going to check compression tomorrow but I'm pretty stumped on this one. Anyone got any ideas?
How did you check for spark?
How did you check for fuel?
Did you perform a fuel pressure test?
How much fuel is in your tank?

Old 05-31-2020, 12:46 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,468 Likes on 2,160 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Add 1 gallon of fresh fuel, it's fairly common for the gas gauge to show 1/2 tank when you're actually empty due to a failure of either the sending unit or the instrument cluster.

Old 06-20-2020, 05:10 AM
6spd MT, coupe, stock
ok so you guys were right....the sending unit was saying that i had half a tank when it was empty... that solves the question of why it stopped.... but now i cant figure out why it wont start again i put a couple gallons of gas and it just cranks

Old 06-20-2020, 09:12 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to ON, if you lift up the rear seat it's very easy to hear but as long as you are in a quiet environment you should still hear it in the cabin with the seat in place.

After running dry on fuel it can take quite a few attempts to start the vehicle, unfortunately we don't have a fuel return style system so you have to crank for a while. Crank for 5 seconds, wait 5 seconds, crank, wait, repeat. By about the 5'th-6'th time it should start.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:03 PM
6spd MT, coupe, stock
Yea I can hear the pump, and I just tried to crank in how you said and it didn't start

Old 06-20-2020, 05:07 PM
Received 394 Likes on 358 Posts
Any codes?

Old 06-20-2020, 05:09 PM
6spd MT, coupe, stock
Nope

Old 06-20-2020, 07:37 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
How about the NATS indicator light, solid red while cranking?

After cranking a few times pull the plugs and see if they're wet with gas. If they're DRY then something is preventing the injectors from opening (or no fuel pressure), a cam/crank sensor failure can cause this.

If NATS sends the OK signal during cranking then the ECM looks firstly for the crank position sensor (CKP) sending data, if it gets data then it next looks for both (or all 4 if a rev-up motor) cam sensors (CMP), once it sees the CKP and the CMP it knows exactly when to start injector and spark timing. Basically it needs one complete signal from each (takes about 1/4 second of cranking to get a signal from them all) and then it opens injectors and fires the coil packs.

If ANY OF THOSE COMPONENTS FAILS then it will not open injectors or fire coil packs, if you have dry spark plugs after trying to start the engine then something is wrong.

If you DO have wet spark plugs then something else is wrong, possibly vacuum, bad plugs, bad coil pack.

I'm guessing you will have dry plugs, how long did the car sit once it stalled before you added fuel? There's also a chance that fuel could have dried up (forms a hard coat of lacquer-like material on stuff) somewhere in the system and is blocking fuel flow. Typically this isn't an issue because the remnant fuel vapor keeps things from drying out but I've seen it before on rare occasion. Testing for fuel pressure with a fuel damper sandwich adapter would verify that you are getting fuel pressure to the rails. Z1 Motorsports sells a good VQ fuel sandwich adapter to hook a gauge to. One of the major failures of this platform was the absence of a fuel pressure test port, I hope that engineer no longer works for Nissan...

Old 06-20-2020, 08:38 PM
6spd MT, coupe, stock
So I can hear the pump when I turn the key on but it doesn't sound the same as it used to and the plugs were kinda wet but it's a little windy right meow so I feel like it dried up pretty quickly after i pulled it out.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:40 PM
6spd MT, coupe, stock
It was like 2 weeks or so before I added more fuel

Old 06-23-2020, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Basic B
I have the exact same problem. I had a crank shaft code. I replaced it with a cheap O'Reilly's one and erased the codes. Still stuck with a crank and no start. Would a cheap Crankshaft position sensor prevent the car from starting but not throw any codes?

Fuel pump is good, and NATS is good.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:16 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yes, these engines don't play nice with aftermarket sensors. Use only a Genuine Nissan Parts OEM, or a Hitachi (manufacturer of the OEM) sensor.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Basic B
Originally Posted by cleric670
Yes, these engines don't play nice with aftermarket sensors. Use only a Genuine Nissan Parts OEM, or a Hitachi (manufacturer of the OEM) sensor.
So even with the cheap sensors the car wouldn't throw a code, but still prevent everything from performing correctly?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine stopped while driving. Cranks but won't start