G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Car won’t get out of limp mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
infiniti g35 coupe
Car won’t get out of limp mode

I just recently replaced my accelerator position sensor and changed my starter. I know you’re supposed to do the ECU reset and I’ve done that, but whenever I do it, the SES light won’t blink/go away. At this point I’m lost on what to do and help would be very appreciated.

Last edited by jordan lee; 02-10-2021 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:29 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,463 Likes on 2,155 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Post all the diagnostic trouble codes it's throwing. There's literally like 40 things that can cause limp mode.

Old 02-11-2021, 03:01 PM
infiniti g35 coupe
Originally Posted by cleric670
Post all the diagnostic trouble codes it's throwing. There's literally like 40 things that can cause limp mode.
The code is P2135. I went ahead and changed the pedal position sensor and had zero throttle response. I put the old one back on and cleaned the throttle body and got about 4% throttle (I checked with a OBD reader).

Old 02-12-2021, 12:54 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
P2135 is the throttle position sensor, not related to the pedal position sensor.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:38 PM
infiniti g35 coupe
P2135 is the throttle position sensor, not related to the pedal position sensor.
thanks for the reply man. I’m still learning so I’m not too familiar with the difference between the pedal position sensor and throttle position sensor. I kinda thought they were the same thing just a different name. Where would I find the throttle position sensor and also do you have a good brand you’d recommend?

Old 02-12-2021, 03:57 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Throttle position is the throttle body on the intake manifold. Accelerator would be the pedal you push with your foot.

Three posible causes:
Harness or connector (at the throttle body or the accelerator pedal)
Throttle actuator itself
Accelerator pedal position sensor

Since you've recently changed parts, do the basic position relearns: key on (no start) for 5 seconds - key off for 10 seconds - key on for 5 seconds - key off for 10 seconds (you should hear the throttle body open and close), then try to start it.

If the throttle body is indeed bad, use the Hitachi brand part from Rock Auto (or local auto store if they sell it). Hitachi is the actual OE part, other brands may or may not work, your call if you want to take the risk.

After replacing that, you'll need to do the relearn, then do the idle relearn procedure after the car is warmed up.

Old 02-12-2021, 05:17 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
You said previously you cleaned the throttle body, the throttle position sensor is part of the throttle body. If you are working the butterfly plate manually by hand it's VERY easy to damage the delicate internal gearing and screw up things like the throttle position sensor.

NEVER work the butterfly plate by hand. To clean around where the plate is you need to remove the two screws on the pivot bar and take the plate out. Then you can thoroughly clean everything without damaging the gear. When you put the plate back on just apply a little blue Loctite 242/243 to the threads on those two screws.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:50 PM
infiniti g35 coupe
Originally Posted by LoSt180
Throttle position is the throttle body on the intake manifold. Accelerator would be the pedal you push with your foot.

Three posible causes:
Harness or connector (at the throttle body or the accelerator pedal)
Throttle actuator itself
Accelerator pedal position sensor

Since you've recently changed parts, do the basic position relearns: key on (no start) for 5 seconds - key off for 10 seconds - key on for 5 seconds - key off for 10 seconds (you should hear the throttle body open and close), then try to start it.

If the throttle body is indeed bad, use the Hitachi brand part from Rock Auto (or local auto store if they sell it). Hitachi is the actual OE part, other brands may or may not work, your call if you want to take the risk.

After replacing that, you'll need to do the relearn, then do the idle relearn procedure after the car is warmed up.
I replaced my throttle body and accelerator pedal position and it still goes in limp mode when I try to move it. If I clear the codes and start it back up it runs fine but if I apply any throttle, it goes right back to limp mode. I’ve tried doing the reset process multiple times and no dice. When I go to keep my foot on the gas after pressing it 5 times quickly the slip and VDC lights come on after about 3 seconds and the SES light never starts blinking. I’m aware it’s super time sensitive but I’ve done this a couple times before and it hasn’t taken near as many tries. I’m honestly stuck at this point unfortunately. I checked the wiring harness to the pedal sensor and it looks fine as well. Any advice would be appreciated. PS. Still throwing codes P2127 & P2138. Also the idle relearn and closed throttle position relearn process worked fine just not the open position

Old 02-14-2021, 09:01 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Those two codes means the ECM is not getting the proper data from the pedal, if you have already tried a new pedal switch then the next likely culprit is damaged wiring between the pedal and the ECM. Here is a snippet from the FSM.

You can test the pedal switch with a 3x AA battery holder to supply your 5vdc (close enough with the 4.5vdc from three AA batteries in series) and run the pedal through it's range while using a DMM to check voltage output on both switches (they are inverse of one another, one is like 0.4vdc - 5vdc the other is 5vdc - 0.4vdc when you go from idle position to wide open throttle.).

Old 02-14-2021, 09:04 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
You can also backprobe the ECM pins 98 and 106 to see what voltage is being sent back to the ECM. All harnesses connected, ignition ON (engine off) and backprobe with a meter while you press the pedal wide open, fully released.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:04 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
I use the NDSII app for idle relearn, so I've not long forgotten the pedal dance. But idle relearn has to be done after car is fully warmed up. Sounds like you need to check for wiring issues at this point.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:10 PM
infiniti g35 coupe
Those two codes means the ECM is not getting the proper data from the pedal, if you have already tried a new pedal switch then the next likely culprit is damaged wiring between the pedal and the ECM. Here is a snippet from the FSM.

You can test the pedal switch with a 3x AA battery holder to supply your 5vdc (close enough with the 4.5vdc from three AA batteries in series) and run the pedal through it's range while using a DMM to check voltage output on both switches (they are inverse of one another, one is like 0.4vdc - 5vdc the other is 5vdc - 0.4vdc when you go from idle position to wide open throttle.).

thanks for the reply man I’m not very good when it comes to electrical work. Do you have anything I might be able to reference? If not it’s no biggie. Also would all that make sense with the car being able to rev higher while in neutral? Does it use less power due to it not being in drive? Once again thanks for the reply.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by jordan lee
I’m not very good when it comes to electrical work. .
That is why you would have been better off in paying the one hour diagnostic fee at your local Infiniti dealer?
You still may eventually have to do that?
The dealer's expensive Consult tool will locate the problem?
Just sayin!

My $.02

Old 02-15-2021, 06:43 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
So it will throw the exact same code with both the old gas pedal AND the new one yes?

Where did you get the new pedal from? It's possible you bought a defective one, I would return it and get another one.

If it has this issue with a THIRD pedal there's a really good chance it's actually bad wiring.

There's also a really good chance that if you got that pedal at like Autozone/Oreillys, etc that someone had a bad pedal, bought the one you have, swapped out JUST THE SENSOR, returned the pedal with the bad sensor, you bought the sensor with the bad pedal.

Also, the sensor itself can be replaced without purchasing the entire pedal assembly, most parts houses will sell it as an assembly though.