G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Performance Driving School

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Driving School

Can anyone recommend a performance driving school in the New England Area?

On Order (Q)
Coupe 6MT
Laser Red

Old 05-14-2003, 08:37 PM
Re: Performance Driving School

Check out www.scca.org. They have links to schools and they run their own schools. That way, you can take classes towards actually participating in an SCCA sponsored race.

All best,
Shelley

"Moderation in all things, including moderation."

Old 05-14-2003, 10:03 PM

The Skip Barber organization owns Lime Rock Park in NW Connecticut. I don't believe they offer classes using your car, and they have a fleet of Mondial Formula Fords and something in the way of street type cars. Great school, took the 3 day comp. course long ago. There may be others that offer "performance driving schools" in your own car but you learn far more with Skippy. SCCA is a different world- the schools are tailored to getting a competition license and racing. You will not be able to drive you G, without serious safety upgrades. (cage, etc.) The best route is to rent a car for the school. Check out SCCA.org, per above. Decide what your goals are, then make your decision. You can PM me for more info. I have been racing in SCCA since 1989, have instructed, and know the program. But a warning: if you start, the addiction will not go away. Heroin is probably easier to kick.

G35C/BS/G/6MT/Aero/Navi/Prem

Old 05-15-2003, 12:44 AM

kewl! someone who races! Please allow me to ask some really dumb newbie questions:

1. is it absolutely pointless to use an automatic in solo II? (I live in So Cal and considering auto because of the terrible gridlock we have here.)

2. Assuming I buy the 6mt, would it be the right kind of car for solo II or even solo I? what kind of upgrades would I have to make?

Thanks!
Shelley

Old 05-15-2003, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't actually participated in SoloII yet, but since nobody has responded...

1. As usual, the MT gives you the most direct connection with your car, but it's not critical. You spend most of SoloII in 2nd gear. Occassionally 1st, rarely 3rd. As such, you can leave an AT in manumatic 2nd gear and just remember to shift a little early between 1st and 2nd. You even get some engine braking in manumatic 2nd, but not below a certain amount of rpms. Then again, those rpms aren't the performance range so you should downshift anyway. Besides, the ideal run probably wouldn't involve any engine braking. So I'd think a manumatic AT isn't much of a handicap other than the slight hp loss. It's a technical precision course, not a speed course. Having better brakes is as much an advantage.

2. You don't need anything special on your car for SoloII, just need to have some basic safety equipment (belts, no loose parts in the cockpit, no spare, battery tied down, helmet). SoloII divides stock cars into certain classes. The G35 Coupe is in the BS class, along with the 350Z, the M3, Camaro SS, etc. The Sedan is DS class, with the IS300, VW Golfs, the WRX, SRT-4, etc. Actually, now that I look at it, some of the pairings don't seem right, but you can look at the chart here yourself. That's just the stock class. If you do certain upgrades, the classes change, so it's really not a matter of modding your car.

Solo I is a different ball of wax: higher speeds, special license, harsher terrain, and frequently involves more track models, but I think there's still stock classes. Don't know much about it. SoloII is probably the place to start before heading to Solo I.

-Jack
Obsidian/graphite '03 Coupe premium nav

Old 05-15-2003, 05:13 PM

thanks for the reply, Jack! It was very helpful and I very much appreciate it.

S.

Old 05-15-2003, 05:44 PM

I've personally attended Bertil Roos' Road Racing course at Pocono Raceway, PA. But I don't think they have a school in New England.

There's also a handy geographic listing of many other schools here at RacingSchools.com. You can even break down the training by race car type. Click around and see what you can find.

My class was a total blast. I <font color=red>HIGHLY</font color=red> recommend taking such a course for anyone who really loves to drive, at least once in your life! [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>2003 G35 Coupe 6MT - diamond graphite / graphite leather - premium - nav</font color=blue>

Old 05-15-2003, 06:01 PM

I'm leaning toward Skip Barbers school in Connecticut. Its the closest school to my home (Boston area). Im going to take the one day class and learn the basics of downshifting, steering and braking.

BTW, I told the wife and she said "your going to what!!!!!!".

On Order (Q)
Coupe 6MT
Laser Red

Old 05-15-2003, 06:04 PM

Why don't you take the wife along, she'll probably like it and learn some new driving "tricks"[img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-16-2003, 05:34 AM

Take the wife along?

Na, I dont want her to think she's a race car driver. She can keep driving the mini-van. This car is for me!

On Order (Q)
Coupe 6MT
Laser Red

Old 05-17-2003, 09:55 PM

Sorry for the slow response. I have not done a solo event in years, but I think the MT is the way to go. Is the G a good car for solo? Not a clue, but it seems like it would work OK. One question that always arises with power steering cars is whether the system can keep up with the turning on tracks with rapidly changing directions. Take the car out and try it, haven't in mine but it seems like it would be OK. My best advice is to go to a solo II and check out the competition, and you might as well enter, no matter what you are driving. You'll just need to empty out the loose stuff and borrow (not a problem, they have extras) a helmet. Solo Is are a different animal in that they are much higher speed events generally on dedicated race tracks. (or hillclimb type events) I do not know the rules for a Solo I but I suspect that they require the same level of safety equipment (cage, comp. belts, etc.) as a road race car due to the comparable speed and danger level. Go to scca.org for more info. There are events all over the country. Ealier this month at TX Motor speedway there was a huge S1, a Mazda rev-it-up, and we had road racing, too. A real fest for this kind of stuff.
And, like someone else mentioned: go to a driver's school- Skip, Bondurant, Roos, etc. You will learn a lot. I didn't mention earlier that I have also attended the Mid-Ohio school (also a great, well run school, with a variety of programs) competition lapping day, and it improved my lap times by >1 sec. This is a school for the hard-core racer in a competition car, with coaching and critique of your driving. (mine included radioed in car feedback: "hey dummy, your turning in 10' early- you missed the apex", real time, and on the next lap you could correct it. Give this stuff a try and you'll meet lots of nice people with similiar interests and have a great time. (and an empty checking account!)

Old 05-18-2003, 02:51 PM

thanks for the info!

I'm in California and there are two good schools located near me - Bondarant, which everyone recommends, and

http://www.derekdaly.com/academyracecars.html

Bondarant uses Mustangs, derek uses BMW Z3 roadsters, plus a special skid car. I'm thinking maybe the roadster is the way to go as something a little more comparable to the G35, so I can transfer what I learned to a Solo II situation. What do you all think?

Shelleycat

Old 05-18-2003, 09:04 PM

I know people that have gone to Bondurant and liked it, nere have met anyone that went to Daly. You will learn from either school; I wouldn't let the car selection be a major factor in your choice of schools. The stangs at Bond. are modified, and may even be closer to a G than you think due to the torque and HP. Good luck.Tell us how it went.