G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Help - Stillen Front License Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2005 | 12:50 AM
|
Help - Stillen Front License Plate Bracket

hey guys, bad news here. i just bought and received this part about 2 days ago for my 05 coupe. so today i brought the bracket to my dealer to install it and to pick up my plates. my salesman tried to install it and screw the large bolt into the tow hook receiver and he said it wasn't fitting right. so i looked at it myself and we found out that the bolt was too small for the tow hook receiver. yes i knew it said "03 coupe" in the title and at the bottom it said "for production dates 02-04." Like an idiot i thought, "why would it not fit, they didn't change anything on the exterior except for the wheels on the exterior redesign." i hope Performance Nissan Parts will accept my return. does anyone have any experiences with them or returning products to them? i'm gonna call them on monday, but it would be nice to get some feed back anyways.

my state requires a front plate. right now i'm only running the rear and i have the front one under the floor mat just in case. i know i probably won't get a ticket for it, but if i get something else like a speeding ticket and they check it, you never what could happen. my salesman said i'd probably just get a warning, but some cops are crazy and might write me a ticket. he also said i should just tell them i'm waiting for the special bracket and i can't drive with the front plate on at the moment, "they'll understand," lol hopefully.

is Stillen or any other company gonna make or already make an adapter that fits 05 coupes? uggh i'm so mad!!

Old 03-20-2005 | 05:07 AM
I had the same experience with my 04.5 G. Seems like Nissan made some changes between 2003 and now that Stillen didn't know about.

I bought one from the same place you did and I was able to return it with no issues. Just talk to Jason from the NISMO parts depart. and he should take care of it.

No worries!!!

I was told that Stillen is suppose to make one that will fit the bigger tow hook hole later this year.

Old 03-20-2005 | 06:03 AM
u had the dealer install your license plate bracket? how much did that run you?

Old 03-20-2005 | 07:06 AM
just put your front plates on the dash for now....

Old 03-20-2005 | 11:20 AM
|
Originally Posted by GIIIV
I had the same experience with my 04.5 G. Seems like Nissan made some changes between 2003 and now that Stillen didn't know about.

I bought one from the same place you did and I was able to return it with no issues. Just talk to Jason from the NISMO parts depart. and he should take care of it.

No worries!!!

I was told that Stillen is suppose to make one that will fit the bigger tow hook hole later this year.
cool thanks man. i'll calll them tomorrow.

Originally Posted by ChuckP
u had the dealer install your license plate bracket? how much did that run you?
well we didn't really install it. we stopped because it didn't fit right. i called in yesterday and said i had the bracket and wanted to install it since they just got the plates. they told me to just bring the car in and they would do it for me. i wanted them to do it in the first place because they have all the tools to do it and i'm not sure where mine are.

Originally Posted by SilverII
just put your front plates on the dash for now....
IMO that looks kinda tacky and i'm not sure if it's legal. i've asked people if i should do that or not and they said just keep it under the floor mat. not likely i would get pulled over just for plates.

Old 03-20-2005 | 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by DeStreGa5

my state requires a front plate. right now i'm only running the rear and i have the front one under the floor mat just in case....
My wife is waiting for the manufacture and delivery of her 05 CPE 6MT. Like you, we live in a state that requires a front plate and we intend to display both plates.

Here's my question. If we are going to display the front plate, why should we be at al concerned about two tiny 10 mm holes being drilled thru the composite material front bumper? The holes are covered by the plate and the non-metal bumper material will not rust or otherwise deteriorate.

Our dealer indicated he would honor our request not to install the front plate, but after consideration we are going to go ahead and have him install it.

Old 03-20-2005 | 12:01 PM
|
lol i know what you're saying man. just thought of having those tiny holes in my car makes me mad. i know they won't do anything, but it's just a mental thing.

the bracket is meant to be removed if you bring your car to shows or car meets. people take off the plates to show off the lines of the car without any pesky plates abstructing the curves.

Old 03-20-2005 | 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by DeStreGa5
the bracket is meant to be removed if you bring your car to shows or car meets. people take off the plates to show off the lines of the car without any pesky plates abstructing the curves.
Thanks. This makes perfect sense to me - what doesn't make sense to me is to spend a bunch of bucks on a bracket by folks like me that are not into showing our car and intend to display that front plate on the streets.

Thanks for the reply - I had not thought about showing. (The last time I was showing my car it was in San Diego 15 years ago and the car was a 1956 TR-3 )

Old 03-20-2005 | 01:13 PM
I'm glad Kansas doesn't require a front plate.

Old 03-20-2005 | 05:02 PM
`til Stillen comes out with the '05 license bracet, there is a viable alternative
click here for "da 50 cent method, man"

Old 03-20-2005 | 05:52 PM
|
Originally Posted by grizzly
`til Stillen comes out with the '05 license bracet, there is a viable alternative
click here for "da 50 cent method, man"
haha I remember that thread. i told my salesman and my friend who went with me, that I was thinking about doing that on Saturday and he laughed at me lol. it's such a nice car so why cheap out. he also didn't think it was very safe. i think i rather wait till they make the new bracket, but it doesn't hurt to try it out lol.

hmm maybe i should pm this guy