G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Coupe Trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever try to fit 2 golf bags without following the pictorial to a "T"? Good luck!

Old 03-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's a coupe. What do you expect? It's got better than average rear passenger room and a little less than average trunk space.
Didn't you check it out before you bought it?

Old 03-24-2005, 07:31 PM
KPC
Originally Posted by RBull
It's a coupe. What do you expect? It's got better than average rear passenger room and a little less than average trunk space.
Didn't you check it out before you bought it?
I know it is a coupe, of course I checked out before i bought the car. It is just my comment and opinion toward something I felt could improve in teh future. and for which, i'm not the only one here have such feeling. I'm sure pretty much all the G owners here check out the whole car before they bought it

Old 03-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i like the smallness of the coupe. if you want something bigger u need to get a sedan.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:03 PM
I'm not whining about it. Personally, I like the challenge. We'll be in a store looking at something, like a chair, or large mirror, and my wife will be like, "No way is that going to fit in your car."

"Oh yeah, you just watch!"

On the ride home after I go back and pick her up, I always throw in, "Gee, this coupe is not nearly as versatile as one would think."

From a marketing demographic standpoint, the backseat and trunk in the coupe are aimed at assisting with the buyer's self-justification for purchasing a sports car at this "Stage" (25-35) of their life. "See honey, you could fit a baby seat back there, I can take the kids to soccer practice," as you're really picturing all the places you can power-slide through your stretch of suburbia. This is not to say that these are the only people that buy them, but like it or not, that's who they're aimed at. Also notice that how the trunk opens makes the trunk seem much bigger than it actually is (Vertical opening, offset hinge). It's not until you actually fold the seat down and see how narrow that opening is and how far the speaker deck comes down that you realize how limited you will be. It's not usually until after the test-drive that a buyer would do this, which we all know is the point-of-no-return, and so do they.

My wife works for the company that does Infinit/Nissan advertising, and funny enough the actual design goal for the trunk of the G35 coupe, was that it fit (At least) 2 golf bags. This shoud tell you who the car was aimed at, and by how little margin they achieved said goal, thus necessitating the golf bag installation instructions. Yes I do golf, yes the trunk does fit 2 (Average) golf bags, and yes, that's all I need. Did I mention that I love it, oh yeah, and I love it.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jayco
big enough for TWO golf bags, actually, which is plenty for me!!
I've never had the guts to try two, just mine. I thought the trunk space was a result of the platform. The Z's have the same trouble with the high rear deck shelf.

My friend would have a G now instead of an IS if the G coupe had a larger trunk.

Old 03-25-2005, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by Macgyver
We'll be in a store looking at something, like a chair, or large mirror, and my wife will be like, "No way is that going to fit in your car."
Actually that's a starting good point. "We can't buy that b/c it won't fit in the G35's trunk"

Old 03-25-2005, 08:18 AM
Rated M

Originally Posted by Macgyver
I'm not whining about it. Personally, I like the challenge. We'll be in a store looking at something, like a chair, or large mirror, and my wife will be like, "No way is that going to fit in your car."

"Oh yeah, you just watch!"

On the ride home after I go back and pick her up, I always throw in, "Gee, this coupe is not nearly as versatile as one would think."

From a marketing demographic standpoint, the backseat and trunk in the coupe are aimed at assisting with the buyer's self-justification for purchasing a sports car at this "Stage" (25-35) of their life. "See honey, you could fit a baby seat back there, I can take the kids to soccer practice," as you're really picturing all the places you can power-slide through your stretch of suburbia. This is not to say that these are the only people that buy them, but like it or not, that's who they're aimed at. Also notice that how the trunk opens makes the trunk seem much bigger than it actually is (Vertical opening, offset hinge). It's not until you actually fold the seat down and see how narrow that opening is and how far the speaker deck comes down that you realize how limited you will be. It's not usually until after the test-drive that a buyer would do this, which we all know is the point-of-no-return, and so do they.

My wife works for the company that does Infinit/Nissan advertising, and funny enough the actual design goal for the trunk of the G35 coupe, was that it fit (At least) 2 golf bags. This shoud tell you who the car was aimed at, and by how little margin they achieved said goal, thus necessitating the golf bag installation instructions. Yes I do golf, yes the trunk does fit 2 (Average) golf bags, and yes, that's all I need. Did I mention that I love it, oh yeah, and I love it.
Given the size and sporting nature of the car the trunk space and layout is actually pretty good on this car. I'm sure you're right on about the goal for holding two golf bags. As far as the narrow opening and speaker deck comments our G is similiar most any other car trunk hatch and is also designed for strength and rigidity as a priority over utility like a van.
I've worked in advertising for 22 years. That stuff about self justification is likely on target but it's also a bit of pyscho babble that agencies like to spoon feed clients to make it seem they know their demo target. (I'm far off that target group by the way.) In advertising/marketing remember this: "people buy on emotion and justify with logic" That's what the self justification you referred to is about.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Rated M

Originally Posted by KPC
I know it is a coupe, of course I checked out before i bought the car. It is just my comment and opinion toward something I felt could improve in teh future. and for which, i'm not the only one here have such feeling. I'm sure pretty much all the G owners here check out the whole car before they bought it

Sorry I didn't mean to offend you. I don't think it is likely though this will improve in this type of vehicle. You would have to sacrifice more of the rigidity and add more weight etc. to have more trunk space.
If this was my only vehicle I might have similiar thoughts to you however I probably wouldn't have bought this car then either.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:30 AM
KPC you should not have bought the car if you thought the trunk was too small, plus if they redesign the trunk it would of course take away from its beauty. Like someone said if you need a larger trunk get a crown victoria it has ample space. For me if I can fit my golf bag and my buddies golf bag, my two prince tennis raquets(did I spell that right) and a hand bag I'm good to go "my friend." Holla Back

Old 03-25-2005, 02:00 PM
I think the G coupe's trunk is plenty big for normal circumstances. Yes it's WAAAAAAAAAAAY smaller than my '98 Accord coupe's trunk, but this car look a lot nicer and is much more sporting. Plus, consider it's derived from the 350Z (you should check out that car's trunk sometime, they shouldn't have even bothered to put a hatch in the back) it's actually quite good. Also, I don't think many cars of the G's caliber have fold down backseats. They usually keep the seat in place to aid structural rigidity (G has a hidden brace between the seats and trunk).

Old 03-25-2005, 03:10 PM
KPC
Originally Posted by benbo5
KPC you should not have bought the car if you thought the trunk was too small, plus if they redesign the trunk it would of course take away from its beauty. Like someone said if you need a larger trunk get a crown victoria it has ample space. For me if I can fit my golf bag and my buddies golf bag, my two prince tennis raquets(did I spell that right) and a hand bag I'm good to go "my friend." Holla Back
For me, trunk space is not a major factor that will affect my buying decision. So, I won't just give up on the G, because of its trunk space. It is just some thought that I have when my friend ask me to pick her up from the airport. Now I have to ask people first that "How many luggage do you have?"

Old 03-25-2005, 03:37 PM
lol, I rarely use the trunk...it was the reason I went for the G because I rarely use any space in the car besides myself and the passenger seat...in fact, I rarely use the backseat either but I have it for "just in case". I guess that's what happen when you have another car that is a sedan

Old 03-25-2005, 04:20 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by SkylineG33
lol, I rarely use the trunk...it was the reason I went for the G because I rarely use any space in the car besides myself and the passenger seat...in fact, I rarely use the backseat either but I have it for "just in case". I guess that's what happen when you have another car that is a sedan

Or a jeep grand cherokee.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:52 PM
hehehe yeah i have always though of sports coupes when I want trunk space... come on, for the style of car it isn'tbad at all. in fact i have been surprised.