G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

People coming from Audi, BMW, Merc

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I came from an Audi S4. Had it chipped to 330hp.

Interior wise: It's hard to put a finger to it, but overall the Audi just feels better. The materials are more expensive I think, but it's also how the choice of materials are employed. Rattles? My S4 had them too lol. I still feel that the S4 is a little more solid (though its heavier by about 200lbs I think). Infiniti has definitely upgraded the interior this year (or I'd be driving the M3 that I was looking at).

Driving Experience: Mine was modded and an S4 will run about 5.1-5.5 chipped ( I also had an exhaust on). The G is not bad, pretty good, but I'm still debating a SC upgrade at the end of the year. Handling wise, quattro gives you confidence coming out of the the turn, but the S4 is still a fat understeering pig. G has the edge in that.

Old 03-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by coolnesh
I am coming from an Audi A4 to the G. (Although I still have the Audi, cant let it go).
Let me start of by saying both cars are very different. I am just sharing my own opinions.

Interior: Hands down the Audi wins. There are many issues with the G. Quality being a big one. But I love the sung fitting of the seats.

Handling: As for the quattro, I dont think anything can compete with an AWD system. Its very seasoned. The back of the G gives way and the car wobbles on hard acceleration, this is probably due the immense power given to the back wheels. But however the stability and control of the Audi out does the G. I feel much safer taking a hard corner in the Audi than the G.

Power/Acceleration: The G will leave my Audi A4 in the dust. The thrill you get is incredible.

Service: Audi has worry free maintaince and warranty for 4yrs/50K miles. So till now I have not paid a dollar on any service. Even oil changes are included. Infiniti needs to up the ante here.

Reliablilty: I would give it to the G, however I have had it for just over a month. But from what I read and others opinions. I think the Infi brand will hold better than the Audi brand. Probably the reason why the G has a great resale value.

Exterior: I love the new bold designs. But I would give an even score to both my cars here.

I am not intending to give points here, but again just my personal experience. I can't assign a weighted score to each category.

In short I love both my cars. Maybe in a years time, once I have completed tested the G, I would be in a better situation to tell everyone that if I have to choose one of them, which would I choose!!
Coolnesh thanks for your reply sounds exactly the same as my experience. 2002 A4 1.8T, However the Audi service sucks. Yes it is free, but who cares if you take the damn car in 3 times in 4 weeks, which was the case with mine. My service rep was ignorant and unhelpful so i am hoping that if paying for the services like with the G at least they will be knowledgable.

Old 03-24-2005, 03:44 PM
S4

you guys coming from S4 were you B5 or B6? My buddy is an S4 guy had an imola B5 now has a black B6 with alcantera, I love the car, but as mentioned before it is a fat pig.

Old 03-24-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Hyde
C240 is the lowest u can get in the MB line up, how good can it get? its definatly not better then the E-Class, i doubt u actually have leather wrap interior. i just got a chance to see the 05 C320 Elegance the other day, the interior "looks" expensive, but when u start feeling the panels, it felt cheap.

my dad have the E500 Sport, which is suppose to have better material, such as more leather used to wrap more plastic parts then the classic and elegance, and its still not even comparable to the M45, the fit and finish on the infinitis are still much better. hell the wood trim and the dash trim doesnt even line up properly on the E500.

mercedes quality have gone downhill since they merged with chrysler. my dad's last gen E320 had much better interior then the new one.

BMWs on the otherhand have a much higher quality interior.
Lets just agree that we disagree. I don't like hard plastic. Maybe you do. That's why you think the new G35 interior is so good. Anyways, I personally don't like hard plastic, I'll just leave it at that. The G is undisputed at performance for the price, so I won't even go there.

Old 03-24-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by hater
Coolnesh thanks for your reply sounds exactly the same as my experience. 2002 A4 1.8T, However the Audi service sucks. Yes it is free, but who cares if you take the damn car in 3 times in 4 weeks, which was the case with mine. My service rep was ignorant and unhelpful so i am hoping that if paying for the services like with the G at least they will be knowledgable.
I know and am aware of the Audi service horror stories. But I dont want to classify them how others have, mainly because I have had really good service. If they have loaners on the lot, I choose the one I want.
They have been knowledgeable of the repair I have wanted and they have promptly done it. My car has never been kept over night at the dealer for service. They have called me to tell me when I can pick my car up as they promised.

In light of this, I can't really say anything bad abt them.

My dealer was Audi of Bernadsville and Mendham in NJ.

Sorry to hear about your service story.

Old 03-24-2005, 05:16 PM
I've had my '05 Coupe for about 6 weeks now (900 miles) and I have NO squeaks/rattles whatsoever. I'm not sure if I got lucky, still too new and they'll develop or if they really fixed a lot of these issues with the 05s (mine has a Dec 2004 build date). I have a coworker that has ridden in my car at lunch several times and he thinks the 05 interior looks WAY better than his '03 325Ci (and I agree). I'm not claiming that the G has top notch interior (we all know that's not where the money gets spent on this car), but the 05's fixed a HUGE portion of the "cheapness" of previous models, IMO.

--Viral

Old 03-24-2005, 07:50 PM
I traded my 04 Audi A4 for an 05 G35

Old 03-24-2005, 11:54 PM
I was coming from a B5 S4. Car wise, I didn't have too many issues, but the car was beginning to show its age. On the last visit I had one of the 02 sensors on the pre cat go out.... but Audi covers those for 8 years.

Didn't have any other issues other than that. My Audi dealer was really good. But the idea of turbo replacement, repairs on an out of warranty Audi etc. just worried me. Turbo replacement is about 7-8k with labor and alot of pple had turbos blow after 50k only to have aftermarket warranties cover them. The aftermarket warranty firms started to be leery of insuring S4s lol.

I actually did try to lower mine, that was a nightmare. With the Miltek exhaust that I was trying to squeeze in, I would barely clear anything lol. So I took them off and sold them. That together with the bad depreciation that I was taking... 4 yrs and already at about 50% residual, I decided that I wouldn't keep it.

Actually considered the M3 very very seriously. Had a used one in my garage for 2 days. It is an awesome machine, I could swing it but...(1) owning a used 9 year old M3 after a 5 year financing loan wasn't attractive (2) S54 engine is highly tuned....reliability? who knows? esp with the exploding engine fiasco with the 1st 2 years' models. (3) Beemer dealer wasn't dealing straight with me. But don't get me wrong, the M3 is an awesome machine. One downside I felt is even on 18s, it felt harsher than the 19s on the Gs.

Old 03-25-2005, 12:29 AM
At least the G retains its value, my pops 01 s500 lost half its value, could have bought a fully loaded G and some with that depreciation.

Old 03-25-2005, 12:32 AM
i have driven mb all my life. and the only thing i miss are the silky smooth tranny and the not so cheap 5AT gear shiftgate.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:38 AM
Maybe we're missing something but a buddy of mine owns an S4. He says it just drinks gas. He's lucky if he gets more than 13MPG. Now I know the G isnt that much better but with these gas prices that would be something I'd look at.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:49 AM
The new ones, the B6s do drink gas. The B5s get about 20mpg. The B7s just got released, but gas consumption should be as bad as the the B6s (13-15mpg).

Old 03-25-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by CT_Texas
The new ones, the B6s do drink gas. The B5s get about 20mpg. The B7s just got released, but gas consumption should be as bad as the the B6s (13-15mpg).
Pratik97 and CT_Texas:
Guys the B6 and B7 S4's drink gas that much because they are V8 engines... you are comparing that with our V6 engines on the G.

Its common knowledge that teh V8 will be more thristy than the V6.
Audi is working hard on their turbo diesel. And its showing promising results in europe, all they need to do is meet the US emission standards for those engines and they will make the shift here before you know it.
These engines will deliver more power and better the fuel economy.

Old 03-25-2005, 10:48 AM
The seat is more firm but due to its firmness, it doesn't have as much wrinkle in the leather as the G.

Hmm. My 98 328i and 00 S4 looked like hell prior to getting rid of them. I used Zymol (sp?) 2-3 times a year on both cars. The only car that I had that the interior held up the best was a 96 Integra GS-R.

Regardless what make you get, if it has leather, it will wrinkle over time. It's part of "wear and tear."

Old 03-25-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by coolnesh
Pratik97 and CT_Texas:
Guys the B6 and B7 S4's drink gas that much because they are V8 engines... you are comparing that with our V6 engines on the G.

Its common knowledge that teh V8 will be more thristy than the V6.
Audi is working hard on their turbo diesel. And its showing promising results in europe, all they need to do is meet the US emission standards for those engines and they will make the shift here before you know it.
These engines will deliver more power and better the fuel economy.

I know their V8's so obviously they will want more gas. I will believe the new engine style when I see it though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.