G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35C/MT - Smarter than me? Traction control questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35C/MT - Smarter than me? Traction control questions

I apologize if this has been opened/discussed already but after an exhausting search of the forums, I couldn't find anything on my specific questions.

I have a question primarily about traction control maybe doing too much and adversely effecting performance.

I am seriously considering picking up a 2005 manual G35 Coupe but I have only been able to test drive two G35s in automatic. The G35 that I would order (blue stick with the aero package) would have to be ordered and according to the dealer, it would take 2-3 months to get to me, so I don't want to lock into something like that without knowing everything I can about it.

First some brief background - I currently own a '98 Acura Integra GS-R with a supercharger and some other modifications. It is making about 208hp (dyno tested) to the wheels and it has run a 13.8 @ 100mph on the quarter mile. If I were to want to, I could be mostly stationary, punch it, and spin the tires to 8000RPM in first, second, and even up in to third. Occasionally, I chirp the tires when shifting into second from first at 8000rpm. There is an art to launching this thing off the line at the quarter mile track without burning up the tires and sliding all over the place.

When I drove the G35, it seems to make a lot of the acceleration decisions for me and I am not sure how I feel about that. I know there are something like 3 different traction controls on the vehicle and one that you can turn on and off. In the automatic, if I hit the gas at a stand still with the traction control on or off and in either automatic mode or in manual shift mode, it feels sort of sluggish. I have also heard that the car makes decisions based on your driving history on how to perform so this could be why it felt that way. I have not driven a car with all of this traction control technology and it is rather intimidating to be honest.

I know that if the G35 detects slipping at a wheel that it will reduce power to that wheel. I am also sure that there are other things that come into effect in my above test drive situation that made it not feel like it was the power horse that I expected it to be based on its numbers.

Is the manual the same way? If I were to hit the gas in the manual, would it have to be absolutely perfect conditions for it to hit the 14.20 quarter mile time that I have seen reported for the vehicle (http://www.ssmoparmuscle.com/speedcomp.htm)?

Also, the Stillen Supercharger is something that I would probably make happen down the road a bit and I am wondering, if I were to do that, would this traction control stuff adversely effect the performance of that? With the traction control in the G35 active, if you are already in a situation where the tires would spin (starting from a stand still for instance), the car won't put any more power to the wheels regardless of how much hp the engine is putting out.

Has anyone noticed the traction control not allowing them to get the most out of their car?

Thanks,
/\/\alice

Old 04-06-2005, 03:59 PM
if youre test-driving an AT, you obviously can't launch at very high RPMS without a clutch. the car can get pretty squirly with traction control turned off; i'm able to chirp the tires into 3rd gear. i think you just need to get to know the car better. it sounds like a 6MT is the right choice for you.

Old 04-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Gangster Member
Get the 6mt, you will regret the 5at, unless you always sit in traffic

Old 04-06-2005, 04:26 PM
most definetly get a 6MT

Old 04-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Still have a question about it too. I am an owner with stick. LSD light kicks in when I power shift into second gear, any ways or tricks to keep it from slipping?

Old 04-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Malice,

You can simply press a button, and poof, the VDC is turned off. Then you can spin your tires to your heart's delight.
With VDC off, it will not attempt to apply brakes, or rob you of power trying to fix the "problem". So you would have nothing to worry about.
I have a 6MT, and with VDC off, I do not feel as if the car is holding back.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even with 6MT, prepare to not feel as fast as your GSR. Thats alot of power you were running to such a light car. The 300 ponies on the 05 is barely compensating for weight.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by madchef
Malice,

You can simply press a button, and poof, the VDC is turned off. Then you can spin your tires to your heart's delight.
With VDC off, it will not attempt to apply brakes, or rob you of power trying to fix the "problem". So you would have nothing to worry about.
I have a 6MT, and with VDC off, I do not feel as if the car is holding back.
And I've discovered that if you turn off VDC, and do something silly like...oh, I don't know...donuts, VDC will refuse to turn back on until you restart the car.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really?

Old 04-07-2005, 12:55 AM
Banned
i have a 5AT.

get the 6MT.

Old 04-07-2005, 03:29 PM
I am going to test drive the 6MT Sedan tonight. I assume it will ride/drive about the same as the coupe. I plan to try to get the tires to spin just a little with the traction control off just to see where the traction control kicks and in and try to get a feel for what the car can drive like.

/\/\alice

Old 04-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dailo77
Still have a question about it too. I am an owner with stick. LSD light kicks in when I power shift into second gear, any ways or tricks to keep it from slipping?
You must be talking about the SLIP or VDC lights. SLIP indicates that the tires are spinning, VDC indicates that the ECU is actively making corrections to prevent loss of control.

LSD to me means limited slip differential which allocates power between the rear wheels when there is a differential in the rpms between the wheels.

If you don't want wheel spin you either have to engage the clutch slower (slip the clutch) or reduce your engine rpms.