G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Shopping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping

I am in the market for a new car and just started reading about the G35.

Right now I drive a slightly modified 2002 C5 and the ride quality is starting to beat me up on the lousy roads in south jersey. So far I have looked at a porsche boxster s, C6 vette, and bmw M3. I have ruled out the boxster as being an impractical choice for me. I don't think I would like a convertible for year round driving. The M3 was very nice and almost felt as fast as the vette(C5), but it seems hard to justify the almost 60k pricetag. The new vette has 400hp but I can't get past the new look. It doesn't do it for me, and too many electric gizzmos that aren't needed on a sports car.

Now I'm starting to research the G35 and from what I'm reading it seems to be pretty good. The price seems like a bargain at about 20k less than my other choices. It seems to have a bit more luxury and weight than I've had in the past. Does this engine respond well to mods? Can you squeeze some reliable horsepower out of it? How is the car as an everyday driver? What kind of warranty does it have? I didn't see much on the official site about that. Are there any options that are a must have on the 6 speed model?

Sorry for all the questions but I like to be informed when I head off to the stealer, err dealer.

Old 04-09-2005, 04:13 AM
mrb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems to have a bit more luxury and weight than I've had in the past. Does this engine respond well to mods? Can you squeeze some reliable horsepower out of it? How is the car as an everyday driver? What kind of warranty does it have? I didn't see much on the official site about that. Are there any options that are a must have on the 6 speed model?
Well I'm dropping off my deposit for mine next week and kind of went through the same thing recently. First use the search feature for specific questions. What I did was do that, and not find a lot of answers (the search feature works only so/so) so I just spent a lot of time in the coupe part of the forum reading, probably too many hours

What I wrote down for the mods was a Crawford Plenum (Crawford seems like really good stuff around here, a lot of people own stuff from them) Crawford High flo cats, Ztube, pop charger, fuji exhaust, and you can do headers if you want but I've read it's a real PITA on this car. I think it peforms decent to mods, you can get a damn Supercharger for it if you want I've driven an '04 and an '05, seems fine for a daily driver to me. It handles damn well (.90g's on the skidpad if I remember my magazine jockey stats) and it's stiff (in the manual version) but isn't a bone jarring ride. Think blend of performance and luxury ride, with heavy emphasis on peformance. The warranty is good and you'll probably use it for something, this car does have some rattles and squeeks, but nothing really major. A lot of people have problems with the factory headunit cutting out one side of the speakers.

Options are up to you. This is entirely based on preference. I elected not to get the premium package and I'm having to special order my car because of it. The system that comes with the package (bose, or blose as referred to around here) is not up to par, IMHO, and a lot of people complain about it so I elected to go without it and install my own aftermarket stuff when I take delivery. Look at the options and decide what you really need. I, like you, am buying the car more for performance than luxury, although I like the luxury aspect (leather, etc) so I'm less concerned about luxury options than most. Do some research on Edmunds.com so you know the invoice and MSRP prices with options and so forth. And research this site so you can see what people are buying them for. This site is very good for that kind of information, everyone tries to help each other out as best they can to find a good deal. I ended up securing a deal for $500 over invoice. Options are aero package, aerodynamic kit w/o rear spoiler and sunroof. Good luck!

Old 04-09-2005, 04:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was in the same boat. between the m3 and the g35 and for the money and looks the g35 won.. you can def add some mods and get your g spanking an m3 but its gonna cost you.. but you will still be saving compared to the m3.. get a g35 and customize it to your liking.. you can take this as fast as deep as your pockets get! lol