G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

My HEADLIGHTS WERE STOLEN (Miami)!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang man, sorry to hear about your loss. So many people hatin on our G's, they just jealous. Make me worried now tho. Take some pics so we can see..

Old 04-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by neffster
Naveen,

Sorry this has happened to you. It's not the first, nor the second time we've heard of a MIAMI G getting the lights snagged. Hopefully you'll be able to work with a good body shop that can "massage" your estimate to help you absorb some of your out of pocket deductible. Here's what I know...

Hood
Price: $394.67
Labor: 1.1 hour x $36/hr
Paint: 4.8 hours x 36/hr (includes clear coat and painting the under portion of the new hood)

Bumper
Price: $219.80
Labor: 2.4 hours x $36/hr
Paint: 2.8 hours x $36/hr

Right Front Head Lamp
Price: $775.92
Labor: 0.5 hour x $36.00 (to aim/align headlamp)

Left Front Head Lamp

If you have any problems with your fenders, figure an hour or two for labor and then a few hours to blend the paint and clear coat.

Hopefully this helps. Also, may I suggest you check out the Florida G35 Club Forum here on g35driver.com to talk to other guys in your area about this occurance and to find a GOOD bodyshop to do the repairs (one that will work with you )
not trying to step on anyone's toes, but neffster is forgetting the $24/hr (assuming that's the correct rate) for paint materials...so you would multiply the total number of paint labor hours by $24 to get the paint materials charge...there's also usually a tint color charge anywhere from .5-1.0 (paint labor and materials)to make sure the color is right on....also, the .5 for the headlamps is for the install of the lamp, there's and extra .5 to aim the lamps (.5 for both, not each)...under the hood he will also need the information labels (anywhere from $1-20 ea) and .3 to install them

and to assume an hour or two on the fenders and a few hours paint is also probably not the most accurate of estimates...

Naveen, I would advise just leaving it up to the shop to give you an estimate...and be careful, burying the deductible is illegal most everywhere...and a good, reputable shop won't/can't do that for you...if you send me some good, multiple angle pictures of the hood, bumper, and fenders, I can email you an estimate just so you have an idea of what you're looking at....I'm just not exactly sure of the rates in FL....here in TX, body and paint are $40/hr, and paint materials is $26/hr...different everywhere tho....

Old 04-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
hey naveen sorry to get off subject but what year are you at UM....my brother goes there, hes in ZBT

Old 04-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Yea thanks everyone for all the info... and Neff I'll definitely post on the Florida G35 Forum as well... ironically I've been thinking about joining for a while...

So far the only place that came to mind at all was the South Motors Auto Body (the Infiniti dealer down here runs some kind of shop).
I will try to find a friend with a digital camera soon; I dont have one... I'll try to post pics then.
I am not as annoyed now about the entire thing, and was actually thinking of maybe throwing a Nismo bumper... or replica on now to make myself feel better AFTER the fact of it all.

Drewzer... I just recently graduated, but am taking a few pre-med classes so that I can apply to med school in another year.

On a side note, I will DEFINITELY be looking for a car alarm to get installed now. Are there any suggestions? I feel I'll now feel comfortable with one of those remote paging systems....

Old 04-12-2005, 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by AustNMike
not trying to step on anyone's toes, but neffster is forgetting the $24/hr (assuming that's the correct rate) for paint materials...so you would multiply the total number of paint labor hours by $24 to get the paint materials charge...there's also usually a tint color charge anywhere from .5-1.0 (paint labor and materials)to make sure the color is right on....also, the .5 for the headlamps is for the install of the lamp, there's and extra .5 to aim the lamps (.5 for both, not each)...under the hood he will also need the information labels (anywhere from $1-20 ea) and .3 to install them

and to assume an hour or two on the fenders and a few hours paint is also probably not the most accurate of estimates...

Naveen, I would advise just leaving it up to the shop to give you an estimate...and be careful, burying the deductible is illegal most everywhere...and a good, reputable shop won't/can't do that for you...if you send me some good, multiple angle pictures of the hood, bumper, and fenders, I can email you an estimate just so you have an idea of what you're looking at....I'm just not exactly sure of the rates in FL....here in TX, body and paint are $40/hr, and paint materials is $26/hr...different everywhere tho....
Well I'm not a body shop expert, I just pulled the quote from my deer hunting incident.

Also, it is not illegal for a body shop to make a 20% OVER WHOLESALE mark up on parts, sell them for RETAIL and yield 40% PROFIT on the new parts. They can then cut into their profit and help with the $500 deductible. FYI, they make close to a grand on buying and selling a few head lamp assemblies, a hood, a bumper, etc... If they want to only make $500 on these items and still charge their normal fees for paint, prep, install, removal, etc... there is NOTHING WRONG OR ILLEGAL with that. All I was suggesting is that the initial poster come to our local forum and let a few of the guys in his area help him locate a shop that would be willing to cut into their profits and help him out.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Well I'm not a body shop expert, I just pulled the quote from my deer hunting incident.

Also, it is not illegal for a body shop to make a 20% OVER WHOLESALE mark up on parts, sell them for RETAIL and yield 40% PROFIT on the new parts. They can then cut into their profit and help with the $500 deductible. FYI, they make close to a grand on buying and selling a few head lamp assemblies, a hood, a bumper, etc... If they want to only make $500 on these items and still charge their normal fees for paint, prep, install, removal, etc... there is NOTHING WRONG OR ILLEGAL with that. All I was suggesting is that the initial poster come to our local forum and let a few of the guys in his area help him locate a shop that would be willing to cut into their profits and help him out.
neffster, your first statement was "I'm not a body shop expert" followed immediately by you going into figures and markups and GP like you know all about it....all I was saying was for the original poster to be careful....burying the deductible (no matter how it's done) is illegal most everywhere....and you should try deer hunting with a rifle

Old 04-12-2005, 01:31 PM
Hey I got to UM too and I was parked in that same parking lot next to ***. I always park in reverse so maybe thats why they never tried anything on my car. What time did it happen at? There is always alot of people going through that parking lot. Now I will have to worry about where I park. As for the alarm, I used to have the Viper 2-way alarm system with remote start and it was very good. Thanks for the heads up and good luck.

Old 04-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Wow I go to FIU, and eventhough I always park front out, now I got scared. Ohh well sorry that this happened, but at least they did not vandalise your car anymore. Are you all going to Tropical Park this weekend?

Old 04-13-2005, 01:35 AM
UMG35... thats the crazy part..... It happened between 3-7pm on a sunday afternoon! It's shocking... but whatever I'm getting over it. I think I've seen a few G35's in that lot actually... I just saw one with a pretty nice Greddy kit today too.

Anyways my insurance kind of pushed me to go with South Motors, since they are a "preferred" shop... and I dont want any hassles if I want something re-done... I'll eventually let people know how it all goes. I'm trying to take the situation to my advantage... this might be a good time to go with something aftermarket i guess.

Nicolaycastro.... whats going on in Tropical Park??

Again thanks to everyone for the help... btw... my insurance is paying for my rental... a Ford F-150!!! that made me feel better today

Old 04-13-2005, 03:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man that sucks...i hope everything works out well when getting your parts....

Old 04-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Old 04-13-2005, 09:23 AM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks nicolay for posting that.. you guys are more than welcome to attend, Naveen I'm really sorry about what happened, but even without a G you are more than welcome to stop by and meet all of us from the FGC

If you're going to attend, just make sure you guys add your name to the attendee list so that we can keep track of the head count for the BBQ..

Old 04-13-2005, 12:13 PM
WRAH
Originally Posted by Naveen57
Hey everyone... i think this is the first post I've ever started... and talk about for the worst reason....

I live in Miami, FL.... am a student at UMiami (Go Canes).... and I was studying the library.... and at about 7pm a friend calls me to ask if I hit something lately cause the headlights on my '03 coupe are missing... I honestly thought he was playing a trick on me... but I run out and... well the title says it all.

The damage isnt Horrible... looks like someone had a decent idea of what they were doing. The front bumper is cracked significantly, and there is minor damage to the fender and hood.... it just looks shocking really.

I dont really know the point of my story I suppose, I just felt I had to share it with people that care.... Apparently the cops that wrote the police report said there have been string of thefts in south Mia with some people stealing rims and headlights (what an odd combo).

Regardless, I guess my only question is, I was in the process of saving to get some kind of front bumper... or a lip or something like that. Is there anyway I will be able to have a non-OEM bumper installed? I have comprehensive insurance from All State (thank goodness my parents still pay for car insurance).
I've never been in an accident or anything.

Also, can anyone suggest some really really good car alarms? I think i'll look into a remote pager type of system now...
Your a Miami student so you deserved it! I took'em!

Old 04-13-2005, 12:20 PM
Naveen,

Sorry this has happened to you. It's not the first, nor the second time we've heard of a MIAMI G getting the lights snagged. Hopefully you'll be able to work with a good body shop that can "massage" your estimate to help you absorb some of your out of pocket deductible. Here's what I know...

Hood
Price: $394.67
Labor: 1.1 hour x $36/hr
Paint: 4.8 hours x 36/hr (includes clear coat and painting the under portion of the new hood)

Bumper
Price: $219.80
Labor: 2.4 hours x $36/hr
Paint: 2.8 hours x $36/hr

Right Front Head Lamp

Left Front Head Lamp

If you have any problems with your fenders, figure an hour or two for labor and then a few hours to blend the paint and clear coat.

Hopefully this helps. Also, may I suggest you check out the Florida G35 Club Forum here on g35driver.com to talk to other guys in your area about this occurance and to find a GOOD bodyshop to do the repairs (one that will work with you )
Where do you get your work done at. $36 an hour is dirt cheap.

It sucks man about your head lights. I'm constantly worried about my car getting ripped because I work nights and it's out all night by itself. Do you have any pics of the damage?

Old 04-13-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by jruss9819
Where do you get your work done at. $36 an hour is dirt cheap. ...
Just one more benefit of being in the FGC.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My HEADLIGHTS WERE STOLEN (Miami)!!!