G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Tranny Problems anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tranny Problems anyone?

My 12/02 production coupe has been basically trouble free with respect to the tranny. My notchiness is about gone at 2300 miles and the clutch and I have found a place of mutual agreement.

I did do a light second gear buzz (grind) but it was because I got lazy on that shift and didn't pull it in solid. You have to row tight with our tranny's and do not do whimpy shifts. Our tranny's are somewhat tricky at first when your getting the feel and I notice for the first 500 miles or so I was overly conscious of clut and shifter coordinaton....now it's second nature and forethought when shifting is no longer an issue...I am finally connected.

Growler

Old 05-28-2003, 04:46 PM

I don't have the grinding issue. About the only odd thing I've noticed with my tranny was a rattling noise when taking off from a start. I discussed it with a friend of mine and he informed me that it's pretty characteristic of Getrag 6-spd trannies...and that it was common amongst Supra and Vette owners.

G35c 6MT/BS/G/Prem/Aero/Nav

Old 05-28-2003, 04:49 PM

Oh, and the rattling isn't considered a problem. It's caused by the flywheel dampening springs rattling.

G35c 6MT/BS/G/Prem/Aero/Nav

Old 05-29-2003, 03:38 PM

"How you like me now...Gold teeth when I smile!"

Tells me all I need to know... I have REAL teeth.

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT Leather
Premium, Aero
"There is no spoon"

Old 05-29-2003, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, a guy I almost bought a TT Supra from had the same problem. He said it was like that since day one. So when mine made the sound I don't let it bug me. Peace.

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 05-29-2003, 03:52 PM

Growler,
A light "buzz" (or grind) once in a blue moon won't bother the tranny... although obviously you want to avoid 'em! I've done it once or twice myself trying to shift too quickly, early on.

However, one thing I've seen a few people say is that you have to depress the clutch pedal completely between gears, and I haven't found that to be true at all... in fact, in all gears but first (complete stop), it takes only a slight goosing of the clutch pedal to get a smooth shift. Of course, it helps if you're rowing through 'em pretty quickly, which keeps the revs synched better, but even when I'm shifting in a kind of lazy manner, I don't have to get on the clutch much at all.

I know what you mean about "finally connected" - after 15 years of driving trucks, it was a bit of an adjustment to get used to such a short throw again, not to mention much closer gears. But now, ahhhhh... not only is it second nature, but I've gotten the "limo clutch" thing down... you know, rowing through the gears without so much as a head-bob from the passengers... Pure silk, man. Smooooth.

I love driving this car!

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT Leather
Premium, Aero
"There is no spoon"

Old 05-29-2003, 04:42 PM

Conquie... I agree with your comment on not needing to fully depress the clutch pedal. There is a "Sweet Spot" that lets you slip into gear without putting your foot to the floor.

I don't find this tranny very different from that of the WRX that I traded for the G.

G35C 6MT BS / Graphite

Old 05-29-2003, 04:47 PM

I just got my tranny replaced 2 weeks ago. It got to a point that I couldn't shift into 3rd gear. My 3rd gear started to grind at about 5500 miles. At first, it only grinded when the tranny was cold. Then it started doing it 3/5 times I shifted into 3rd gear.

Old 05-29-2003, 07:46 PM

Stop it Conquie, you're driving me nuts !! I've got too much on my mind, now, knowing that my 'R' might show up a month early.

Seattle 'Eastside' area
'R' Order - IP/Graphite 6MT Coupe; Prem., Nav. & XM [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-29-2003, 09:50 PM

Simply can't understand all these trans problems... have had my aesthetically stunning black coupe for about 6 weeks now and all I can say is SWEET!

I have stuck to these forums since November and will admit that the alleged issues w/ the MT were concerning. Picked up my car on a beautiful Saturday morning and couldn't believe how smooth as silk this 6MT is. Throws are short, precise and silky smooth - I could shift this baby w/ my index finger & thumb and is only getting better. What a car!

One very happy owner here. Keep up the good work, Infiniti.

Old 05-30-2003, 01:13 AM

Okay since I didn't believe those who had their transmission grinding.. Mine did it ONCE! I pressed the clutch all the way in. And then put mine on 1st and then I hear grinding. I couldn't put it to 2nd gear for about 20 sec. It was just weird but I am starting to believe.....

2003 G35 Coupe 6spd

Old 05-30-2003, 09:47 AM
Running for his life!!

Here are my gripes about out tranny.

1. Very hard to play with the clutch on a slight incline at a stop. When in first gear, I usually depress the clutch to it's sweet spot to keep the car from rolling back. With the G, the car seems weak and starts to vibrate. Never had this problem in any other car i've drivin.

2. What bugs me the most is when at a full stop with clutch out, you can hear some gargling noise or friction noise. If you want to witness this noise yourself, park you G in a garage so the sound can amplify and release you clutch while the engine is on. Otherwise you can not hear what noise I am talking about if you car is outside.

G35C 6MT / E55

Old 05-30-2003, 10:03 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is not most of what you guys are experiencing due to the fact that on the Coupe 6MT the clutch is a twin plate design, similar to what is used on racing applications?
If that is the case you can't have your cake and eat it too.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] Meaning, that with higher performance cars tend to be a little more temperamental.

Old 05-30-2003, 06:31 PM

I can't believe that some members on this forum puts the blame of the grinding issue on the ability of driving stick of the members experiencing those problems. Instead of pointing fingers, why don't you sympathise with them. This is a first year production car so its bound to have first year problems. If yours doesn't, great. Grow up guys or come down from your high horse!

Old 05-31-2003, 05:47 PM

"I can't believe that some members on this forum puts the blame of the grinding issue on the ability of driving stick of the members experiencing those problems. Instead of pointing fingers, why don't you sympathise with them. This is a first year production car so its bound to have first year problems. If yours doesn't, great. Grow up guys or come down from your high horse!"
I couldn't agree with you more Techuinang.
It's all good...

Get off it man!

"Dont start none, won't be none"<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by ryoken on 06/02/03 03:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tranny Problems anyone?