G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Speeeed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speeeed

how does the MT compare to the ATin terms of speed and acceleration? i need your opinions!

Old 04-26-2005, 11:49 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Did you bother to do any reading at all before you posted such a general question? Cheese and rice! Welcome here - even if you did fire off your first post without even introducing yourself..

You want opinions or hard numbers? We have both.

It's been stated that the 5AT 'feels stronger' out of the hole, but the numbers say that the 6MT is faster to 60 (by anywhere from .2 to .5 seconds, depending on whose numbers you're using).

The same holds true for performance through the quarter. The 6MTs are turning better quarter times over the 5AT. How much of difference depends on the numbers you use and the driver's ability to get the car out of the hole.

In many cases a 5AT can beat a 6MT because the 6MT driver's perception of his driving ability doesn't match what actually happens when he gets behind the wheel. If he launches poorly he may be playing catch-up to the point that he may lose a contest with a 5AT. The again, maybe not. Personally (opinion) I think an 'average' driver will realize more consistent times in a 5AT than a 6MT, but as a general rule the 6MT is faster.

I believe both cars are now governed at 155. I think the 6MT can get there in 4th, but I'm not positive about that.

In the end it doesn't matter because both cars are very evenly matched, both are great cars, both can get to the speed limit quickly and hold that pace all day and half the night, and both have their picks and nits.

Remember, regardless of 5AT or 6MT, the fastest car on the road is a rental car in someone elses name..

Thank you for playing my game.

Last edited by GeeWillikers; 04-27-2005 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:16 PM
I wouldnt say one has any real major advantage over another. I would imagine the 6MT beating the 5AT right off the line, and the 5AT slowly catching up with faster gear changes, but overall the 6MT could be slightly faster in the end. From a roll, I would say either dead even or the 5AT would have the advantage there.

It depends what you want, a manual or an automatic transmission. I went with the 5AT because I allready have a Corvette and Porsche in manual, and wanted an Automatic for a change. I am very impressed with the auto, and it does feel good not having to worry about shifting, and being able to when I want to with manumatic. I do like being able to take sharp turns and grasping the wheel with two hands without having to worry about shifting.

The G has one of the best automatics I've ever dealt with (besides my E55 ) Look at the 400hp Pontiac GTO; the Automatic trans runs faster 0-60 times than the Manual does.

Last edited by heeb; 04-26-2005 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by heeb
... I would imagine the 6MT beating the 5AT right off the line, and the 5AT slowly catching up with faster gear changes, but overall the 6MT could be slightly faster in the end. From a roll, I would say either dead even or the 5AT would have the advantage there...

I disagree w/this statement.

By definition of a manaual transmission, the driver's skill will greatly affect the 6MT's abilities (more process involved into driving). 5AT requires minimal/moderate skill to launch and at shift points.

It's all about weight/power ratio and gearing. The 6MT will put more WHP to the ground and the gearing will help it pull quicker. Same logic as higher final drive ratios usually translating to quicker ETs.

From a dig the 5AT will probably more consistant in launching.
From a roll, the 6MT will own because of gearing.

Old 04-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why does it even matter?? it'll be milliseconds in the end... u can argue both transmisisions to death (as has already happened on this forum). i would just go with the one your more comfortable with or enjoy the most.

Old 04-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
Remember, regardless of 5AT or 6MT, the fastest car on the road is a rental car in someone elses name..
Ha! Well said.........either that, or some POS with a driver that has no reguard for his car or his own saftey.

Old 04-26-2005, 08:49 PM
Both are awesome machines... I am thinking of buying a G35 5AT sedan next year to keep the miles down on my Coupe

Old 04-27-2005, 08:43 AM
Assuming you can shift REALLY well the 6mt is going to be faster, but it takes skill to beat a 5AT that was torque braked on launch considering the 5AT takes no skill. In the end if your going to sit in traffic get the 5AT if you're not get the 6MT its a personal perference. You'll find both will be fast enough.

Old 04-27-2005, 08:51 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Beowulf
considering the 5AT takes no skill.
Believe it or not, even torque braking car be done inproperly.. A bit of skill is required, if you want to call it that. Maybe experience is a better word..

If you're running manual mode, that too takes skill. If you don't anticipate your shift points correctly you will bounce off the rev limiter - not efficient if you're trying to move as quickly as possible.

Certainly doesn't require as much coordination as a manual, but you can't take a nooner behind the wheel either..

Old 04-27-2005, 09:16 AM
This could be a dumb question, but why does the 5AT "feel stronger" out of the hole? Is it because of the torque difference between the 260 (6MT) and 270 (5AT) and that the 5AT shifts quicker while accelerating versus feathering the clutch @ the right RPM when launching? Gosh, I think I need to go out and test drive a 5AT since 6MT was all I was looking at...just to see.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^its just cause some people cant launch

i'm pretty sure the 6MT will need to be in 6th gear or really high 5th (red line area) to get up to 155.. for the 05s anyways.. i have a shot of 140 in 6th.. but my host died for the month -.-

Old 04-27-2005, 10:08 AM
I think what it mainly will come down to is how you are driving. If you are driving on the freeway or wide opened roads every day, go with the MT.

Im not going to lie.. there are so many times I hate having a manual in the vette and porsche. Not only in stop and go and slow moving traffic, but I love being in the G35 AT and being able to slam on the gas, have the car downshift for me, switch lanes and manuver the car so much easier, and never have to worry about downshifting when I come into turns.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.