G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Has anyone reconnected the regular brake light with the OEM spoiler?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 03:26 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AustNMike
laws vary from state to state.....but I highly doubt there is any law in any state that says you must have 4 brake lamps.....
i never said u need 4 brake lamps, i said that if your car comes with one, you cant disconnect it, even if you put a spoiler that has one on it...

Old 05-08-2005, 03:31 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Gee Im Fast
So is it against the law if we (peeps with no third light in window, but WITH a spoiler) remove our spoiler?
yeah Jimmy thats very illegal, i think the 3rd brake light law went into effect around 1985.?? or do i have that confused with EFI?

Old 05-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the law says that you need an additional brake light, which would make it three. If you look, all cars will have the LEFT brake light, RIGHT brake light, and then an additional one in the CENTER. Now for those of us with added spoilers from outside the factory, we have an additional brake light on our spoiler. I was initially wondering why they disconnect the center interior brake light, making me wonder if it is illegal to have 4 brake lights instead of just 3.

Old 05-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by heeb
I believe the law says that you need an additional brake light, which would make it three. If you look, all cars will have the LEFT brake light, RIGHT brake light, and then an additional one in the CENTER. Now for those of us with added spoilers from outside the factory, we have an additional brake light on our spoiler. I was initially wondering why they disconnect the center interior brake light, making me wonder if it is illegal to have 4 brake lights instead of just 3.

Quite honestly, I think 2 center brake lights looks out of place. 99% of cars out there have 1 center light. To have 2 center lights tell me that the work wasn't complete and looks unprofessional. I'm probably thinking that the dealerships are thinking the same thing.

Old 05-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by GRider35c
i never said u need 4 brake lamps, i said that if your car comes with one, you cant disconnect it, even if you put a spoiler that has one on it...
not trying to argue with you, but I don't think this is true either....is that why most dealers selling cars with port/dealer installed spoilers have the hole carpeted over and lamp removed, because it's illegal to remove it? doesn't make sense to me....I think three is mandatory....and the real question here is, is 4 illegal? is that why dealers are disconnecting them?

and for the record, I have an OEM spoiler and no lamp in the window. I always thought that cars with spoiler had a different part# for the package tray (rear deck), but maybe not...I need to check mine to see if it's just carpeted over.

Old 05-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Banned
not trying to argue with you, but I don't think this is true either....is that why most dealers selling cars with port/dealer installed spoilers have the hole carpeted over and lamp removed, because it's illegal to remove it? doesn't make sense to me....I think three is mandatory....and the real question here is, is 4 illegal? is that why dealers are disconnecting them?

and for the record, I have an OEM spoiler and no lamp in the window. I always thought that cars with spoiler had a different part# for the package tray (rear deck), but maybe not...I need to check mine to see if it's just carpeted over.
see youre still not understanding my explanation...

if you have a bulb in your car intended for a brake light you cant remove it or disable it. if you remove the entire housing and replace it with carpet, but you still have a 3rd brake light thats legal, but if you have a light that has been disconnected but the housing and/ or bulb is still there its illegal...
this way if another driver sees that you have a place for a light and it doesnt turn on it will confuse them.

Old 05-08-2005, 04:06 PM
see youre still not understanding my explanation...

if you have a bulb in your car intended for a brake light you cant remove it or disable it. if you remove the entire housing and replace it with carpet, but you still have a 3rd brake light thats legal, but if you have a light that has been disconnected but the housing and/ or bulb is still there its illegal...
this way if another driver sees that you have a place for a light and it doesnt turn on it will confuse them.
oh no, I understand what you were saying (even tho this is really the first time you explained anything), but that's also not what you originally wrote....

here's it is...

the law says you need ALL FOUR connected...
...which is doubtful.

then you said this...

which I believe is also incorrect...and contradicts your earlier statement...

my only point was, "the law" can't just be summed up like that...they change depending on where you live....and second, I don't think you're right about not being able to disconnect the extra lamp. I'm sure if there is a law in whatever state that says a veh must have a third/high mount brake lamp, the law most likely won't reference anything in regards to disconnecting/removing completely a fourth/extra third brake lamp if a spoiler w/brake lamp "upgrade" is made. and again, not trying to argue with you, just pointing out that I think you are posting incorrect information....which potentially could scare a reader out of their proper decision...

now I need a nap...

Old 05-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Banned
and again, not trying to argue with you, just pointing out that I think you are posting incorrect information....which potentially could scare a reader out of their proper decision...
...then stop posting! : P

Old 05-08-2005, 04:50 PM
i had the dealer install the oem spoiler (which really turns out they had some outside place do it)...initially they didn't disconnect the brake light in the rear window, they said they forgot to. i had them disconnect it. personally i think it looks much better with it disconnected, 2 center brake lights looks redundant and kinda takes away from the LEDs...so the next time i have my car serviced, i had them check out a rattle on the rear deck which these so called experts didn't end up totally fixing, only to find out that they reconeected teh damn light after a month of calling them to disconnect it. now the service guy gives me some story about it being illegal to do so, and told him right back they didn't have a problem with it the first time and should never had reconnected it without my consent. so i find out my brake light ont he spoiler is leaking and the seal is coming out from under the spoiler, i take it back and the service dude said he'd have them take care of that 3rd brake light in the window. i pick up my car, and he assures me that everything is taken care of (meaning the disconnection). i get home only to find out that the damn thing is still connected. which leads me to my question: does anyone know how to disconnect that thing so i can do it myself?

Old 05-08-2005, 06:05 PM
mine was connected..

Old 05-08-2005, 07:04 PM
...then stop posting! : P
ok...you first