G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Tinting woes..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Tinting woes..

Got my '05 tinted today with 32% all around, minus the windshield. The process was supposed to take 3 hours MAX and ended up taking about 4 and a half hours. Why? Because some idiot got the gun too hot and burned about a 6 inch gash in the top of my driver's side door panel. My *** has to travel back there at 8AM tomorrow morning to get it fixed (for free).

At first the guy wasn't going to even compensate me at all for my time/gas. I eventually talked him into a $25 discount (so $125 for the job), which still isn't quite enough in my opinion. So minus the gash, the job looks fine. If the repair isn't perfect tomorrow there will be hell to pay.

Old 05-10-2005, 06:14 PM
where was this done? Business name, address, phone number, tech who worked on your car, the manager of the shop who authorized the fix.

Mistakes happen but as a business, they should compensate you for any mistakes they made. Do not let them get away with that. Good Luck

Old 05-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
holly crap. If i was the store, I would give the poor guy his entire money back and apologize and hope that he would accept.
That is completely insane...

over heating the door panel? wtf kind of amature is working there??!

Old 05-10-2005, 09:00 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 hours??? It shouldn't take more than 1-1.5 hours for an IMMACULATE job. The guy who did my tint tinted about 12 coupes at a G meet in Orlando and that was in less than 12 hours. Guess how much? $100. Give your installer hell about the crummy job he's done.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:47 AM
Update:

Went in today to have "his guy" try to fix it. The guy tried and said that the plastic is so thin that it's impossible to make it look perfect. So I have to order a new upper door panel, and they're going to replace it at no expense to me.

Any idea how much this piece costs? Should I order one from Infiniti and have Infiniti install it or let this guy install it?

Thanks.

Old 05-12-2005, 01:12 AM
they were going to try to "fix" the Infiniti plastic? they ARE idiots. please tell us where they are so they can be avoided.

Old 05-12-2005, 01:18 AM
there is no way they could fix it, replacing it is the only option. insist on them paying for your dealer to fix it. If they screwed up something as easy as tint, god knows what they would do to your door.

Old 05-12-2005, 01:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lkmbrd
Update:

Went in today to have "his guy" try to fix it. The guy tried and said that the plastic is so thin that it's impossible to make it look perfect. So I have to order a new upper door panel, and they're going to replace it at no expense to me.

Any idea how much this piece costs? Should I order one from Infiniti and have Infiniti install it or let this guy install it?

Thanks.

ummmmm...i think whole door panel is just one peice, it happened to someone here (jedi?) two years ago, think it costs around $1200

Attached Thumbnails Tinting woes..-door-panel.jpg  
Old 05-12-2005, 02:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I hate to say it....but you get what you pay for. I was pricing out good tint with good installers in the Bay Area...and the prices I am getting are around $400-$450. Sound like you used one of those shops in the Mission in SF almost, when I did my first car....I had glue on window roll-up for a while myself.
After that BS that shop put you through..I would have infiniti install the new one and bill it to them directly...after that warn everyone around you!

Last edited by gizsf; 05-12-2005 at 02:15 AM.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:26 AM
hey, my door only has one speaker.. did the 03-04's have two speakers like that.. or is that a custom job?

Old 05-12-2005, 01:28 PM
It was Gaston Auto Glass in Gastonia, NC. They seem to be a pretty reputable shop and the actual tint job was good.

The piece that's burnt is the top of the door and it looks like it's a seperate piece, not one big door panel.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by lkmbrd
Got my '05 tinted today with 32% all around, minus the windshield. The process was supposed to take 3 hours MAX and ended up taking about 4 and a half hours. Why? Because some idiot got the gun too hot and burned about a 6 inch gash in the top of my driver's side door panel. My *** has to travel back there at 8AM tomorrow morning to get it fixed (for free).

At first the guy wasn't going to even compensate me at all for my time/gas. I eventually talked him into a $25 discount (so $125 for the job), which still isn't quite enough in my opinion. So minus the gash, the job looks fine. If the repair isn't perfect tomorrow there will be hell to pay.

I would be gettnig a new door panel no ands, ifs,buts or maybe's

Old 05-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Damn--THIS EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME LAST WEEKEND!

I went to a well-known tint shop that had done a great job on three of my other cars.

They burned the hell out of the passenger door panel.

When I took a look at the damage it really did look like the gray covering was very thin and delicate.

Oh well--I am leaving work early tomorrow to have them replace the panel at their cost. These things tend to run around 300-400$.

I'm debating whether or not to ask for a refund on the tint job.

Oh yeah--they also smashed my passenger's vanity mirror somehow. I can't really prove it, but, I know every inch of my car and I know it was not like this before then. Now that I think of it, I might actually put a stop payment on my card until all of this is resolved.

Old 05-12-2005, 08:29 PM
I got my car tinted this past week for $200. Not a bad job. These guys actually remove the door panels so they do not mess up anything.

Even if only part of your door panel is damaged i would replace the door panel just to hurt the wallet of the shop.

Old 05-12-2005, 10:31 PM
My tint guy who has done two other vehicles for me, torched the drivers panel also. He has been tinting for local dealerships and Sheriff departments and is first class. He was a nervous wreck and excessively apologetic. He ordered a complete new door panel immediately and paid next day freight to get it to Winner Infiniti in Newark, drove 100 miles the following day and installed at my shop. He said the mistake cost him $600 plus the travel, etc. He also ripped my check up and left it on my desk. This is what I call "FIRST CLASS SERVICE". I am in the service industry and I know what you need to do to keep a customer happy and this guy was textbook professional. The story ends by me yelling at him to take my d#@& check or I'll never have him tint me again. We all make mistakes but the guy who corrects his, gets my business everytime.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tinting woes..