G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

adding more fuel to the fire... another Skyline GT-R post

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny isn't it about the perception of brand names.
Call it Infinity or Nissan ?
Here in Australia the Infinity brand flopped a few years ago.
We associate the name Infinity with some horrible front wheel Barge.

Call it a Nissan GTR and they'd sell like hotcakes as outside of the USA
no one cares as long as it is a GTR
Cheers

Old 06-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd applaud you, AussieV35... ...but I can't find that clapping smiley icon.

Old 06-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Lightbulb

Nicely said by the Aussie. It does'nt matter what the brand name is. Good god it's a GT-R man.
Very expensive and out of reach for alot of us to afford.

Old 06-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by AussieV35
Funny isn't it about the perception of brand names.
Call it Infinity or Nissan ?
Here in Australia the Infinity brand flopped a few years ago.
We associate the name Infinity with some horrible front wheel Barge.

Call it a Nissan GTR and they'd sell like hotcakes as outside of the USA
no one cares as long as it is a GTR
Cheers
In the real world that would make sense.
I personally dont care if it comes as a Nissan or an Infiniti.

But here some food for thought.
The world over Infinti is still making its presence felt. No one knows the brand too well, could be a big factor that it failed in Australia. In many other countries their history is fairly new, 3 to 5 yrs.

However, purchasing a car not only means to go for its perfomance. But it carries a prestige value as well. People buy cars to be seen in... and when you put the equation of $70K for a Nissan, it raises the brow!! and not to mention a few snickers and giggles from your friends and passerbys.
One would say, you can always shut them up by taking them to the track... but how many people here would really go to the track, and how many people are you going to shut up.

My take would be ... from a complete business strategy point of view... that the GTR should make it to the US as an Infiniti brand... and other places it should be as a Nissan brand, to make most out of their sales.... and the $70K price tag will not cut it... its too high in my opinion... they need to be in $60K ball park, tops.

Also, to the person who said $110K price tag for it... that would be over kill. That number seems way way way off.

Old 06-03-2005, 11:11 AM
WRAH
Originally Posted by tekknikal
the LF-A looks like it has a fair amount of luxury to me:
dual A/C, integrated navigation, FULL leather interior w/ carbon fiber trim, power everything... any way I look at it I see luxury (features,price,etc). Then again, a luxury car to me doesnt neccessarily indicate a lack of performance. I have confidence that the GTR will succeed.. part of the reason why is because many (incl. some of their own customers) don't realize that it is possible to have luxury and performance at the same time! That's part of the reason why the G35 was so successful and why I think that the GTR will take this idea one step further...

That's it! I quit!!! I'm becoming a car designer!

Old 06-03-2005, 01:16 PM
...Infiniti or Nissan... who cares. If it is badged an infiniti, they will do it because they know how brand oriented US citizens are. at that point, people on the GT-R forum will be debadging and making the "JDM conversion"... so why not jsut badge it a nissan.

I could care less what it is called, as long as it has turbo's and AWD, I will be saving my money up.

Old 06-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by coolnesh
In the real world that would make sense.
I personally dont care if it comes as a Nissan or an Infiniti.

But here some food for thought.
The world over Infinti is still making its presence felt. No one knows the brand too well, could be a big factor that it failed in Australia. In many other countries their history is fairly new, 3 to 5 yrs.

However, purchasing a car not only means to go for its perfomance. But it carries a prestige value as well. People buy cars to be seen in... and when you put the equation of $70K for a Nissan, it raises the brow!! and not to mention a few snickers and giggles from your friends and passerbys.
One would say, you can always shut them up by taking them to the track... but how many people here would really go to the track, and how many people are you going to shut up.

My take would be ... from a complete business strategy point of view... that the GTR should make it to the US as an Infiniti brand... and other places it should be as a Nissan brand, to make most out of their sales.... and the $70K price tag will not cut it... its too high in my opinion... they need to be in $60K ball park, tops.

Also, to the person who said $110K price tag for it... that would be over kill. That number seems way way way off.

on that same notion then, the price should be higher since it's an Infiniti. Because it would need more luxury options. So for anyone who's looking to buy, it would be in your best interest to have it Nissan, because it will undoubtably be less expensive, yet no extra frills, like seat warmers.

Hooman

Old 06-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by SnMDesignStudio
I love that people who have not seen the finished product, and therefore have no idea what the performance and appearance will be like, are making comments about what price they won't pay for a Nissan or how luxurious it will or won't be.
We're all speculating. Is it okay with you if someone makes a thread and we post our guesses and reasons behind our thinking?

Old 06-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Hooman6MT
on that same notion then, the price should be higher since it's an Infiniti. Because it would need more luxury options. So for anyone who's looking to buy, it would be in your best interest to have it Nissan, because it will undoubtably be less expensive, yet no extra frills, like seat warmers.

Hooman
you cant build a car for a brand, you have to build a car for a market, and a brand for a market. as such, id argue that the GTR will be built for the same kinds of people that purchased G35 coupe 6MTs...only with more income. Those people will expect certain features and levels of performance. Nissan will do their best to satisfy that, using the heritage and knowledge gained from previous generation GTRs.

Old 06-03-2005, 02:29 PM
70K for a car and no loaner service would have to change. IMO this car will have to be Infiniti badged - luxury items or not. The target age group this car will be aimed at does have people who care about name...

Me personally.. i wouldnt buy a 70k "Nissan", However i would buy a 70K Infiniti. Why? Perception..because the name Infiniti is associated with a certain level of quality/service. Not saying Nissan doesnt have that.

Old 06-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by WinglessG
70K for a car and no loaner service would have to change. IMO this car will have to be Infiniti badged - luxury items or not. The target age group this car will be aimed at does have people who care about name...

Me personally.. i wouldnt buy a 70k "Nissan", However i would buy a 70K Infiniti. Why? Perception..because the name Infiniti is associated with a certain level of quality/service. Not saying Nissan doesnt have that.

you hit the nail on the head.
Perception (Prestige) is very important to people who will be shelling out $70K.

no loaner service for 70K car ... is a great argument

Old 06-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by coolnesh
you hit the nail on the head.
Perception (Prestige) is very important to people who will be shelling out $70K.

no loaner service for 70K car ... is a great argument
especially when the lower end model- at nearly half the price, gets loaner service and a better warranty ...all from the same manufacturer.

Old 06-03-2005, 05:01 PM
you bet... would you also haggle with the nissan dealer in the same way as you would say for a murano ... lol.

Old 06-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WRAH
That's it! I quit!!! I'm becoming a car designer!
+1 that things fugly

f = ****ing

Old 06-03-2005, 09:35 PM
this is ****ed up...so pissed;
should be under infiniti...like nsx under acura...
why are they doing this god dm it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: adding more fuel to the fire... another Skyline GT-R post