G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

For those who have NAV and uses it..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dennisjai
wow hard to believe a toyota has a nav that shows how much traffic there is and an infiniti don't ... maybe in the next DVD update...

can you choose routes on the navigation? i heard from someone else who had nav can choose either the fastest route there.. or the best scenery route so you can see a nice view.. as you get to the location.. i find that quite interesting.

Yeah ... there are bunch of routes you can chose ... i dont know about the best scenary .. but u can chose Highway, avoid highway etc etc ... toll roads .. no toll roads .... i got the next DVD Update .. it still doesnt show you how much traffic on a certain road ... but its all good..

Old 06-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by arjunz
Yeah ... there are bunch of routes you can chose ... i dont know about the best scenary .. but u can chose Highway, avoid highway etc etc ... toll roads .. no toll roads .... i got the next DVD Update .. it still doesnt show you how much traffic on a certain road ... but its all good..
how much for an update?

Old 06-03-2005, 03:20 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I love Infiniti's navi and have had 3 or them now in various rides. Get one, you'll love it.
C.

Old 06-03-2005, 03:38 PM
The 05 Navi is sweet. My only complaint is that it does not have a stored address book and it cannot route to intersections (or at least i do not know how make it do so).

Definitely worth the $$ if you do a lot of driving.

Old 06-03-2005, 03:39 PM
My only disappointment is that it's not touchscreen. My brother's '00 QX had a touchscreen - 5 years old (runs on CDs so it can't have US/Canada on one disk). Back asswards if you ask me. But I love it anyway.

Old 06-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Compared to aftermarket, I would say it performs better... Keep in mind that I'm only comparing to one that I know of... My buddy has a Kenwood and it consistantly puts him on the wrong street... If you know the area, it's no big deal, but there have been a few times it told him to hang a left or right to get to the correct street, only to have him zig zag back to get to the street we were on... I have never experienced this on my Nav... Other than that, he has a ton more functions and it looks nicer... So I would say if you're looking for the bells and whistles, go aftermarket... If you want the one that works better, get the OEM... If I'm not mistaken, doesn't it cost more to do an aftermarket after all is said and done? Double Din conversion plus the Headunit and Nav?

Old 06-03-2005, 04:57 PM
www.g35tt.com
Originally Posted by Risingsun124
Compared to aftermarket, I would say it performs better... Keep in mind that I'm only comparing to one that I know of... My buddy has a Kenwood and it consistantly puts him on the wrong street... If you know the area, it's no big deal, but there have been a few times it told him to hang a left or right to get to the correct street, only to have him zig zag back to get to the street we were on... I have never experienced this on my Nav... Other than that, he has a ton more functions and it looks nicer... So I would say if you're looking for the bells and whistles, go aftermarket... If you want the one that works better, get the OEM... If I'm not mistaken, doesn't it cost more to do an aftermarket after all is said and done? Double Din conversion plus the Headunit and Nav?
I agree with that too. I have an Kenwood in my Pathfinder and it does sometimes do some weird things. I also have a Alpine in my Elantra that doesn't have you "zig zag" around.
A few thought on aftermarket vs. Infiniti Nav:
1. The calculating speed for route planning and re-routing is better than a CD based Aftermarket Nav, but does not compare to the Kenwood DVD Nav. Alpine DVD is much faster but still slower than the Kenwood.
2. Aftermarket Navs can zoom into 1/64th of a mile vs. our 1/4 mile. This is generally not a problem when driving on a highway, or suburbia, but not too easy when you are in downtown Philadelphia or New York, and hell, even parts of North Jersey where you have 3-6 highways running basically on top of each other.
3. Aftermarket Navs have many more options for points of Interest, various destinations in a single route, and easier to control. I HATE the joystick.
4. When you are in a very rural area, the Nav will just stop guiding you at times. When starting from a street in a rural area, it will map you from some major road which could be a few miles away, and you have to find how to get there yourself, which basically is pointless of having a Nav system.

Anyway, if you are not used to other Nav systems out there, the Stock Nav is great. I still use mine, and like it. I travel from NY to MD and drive about 60,000 a year so I kind have learn to rely on one. Plus, when someone gets into you car and you watch the expression on their face when the Nav pops out of the dash...Priceless.

Old 06-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow hard to believe a toyota has a nav that shows how much traffic there is and an infiniti don't ... maybe in the next DVD update...

can you choose routes on the navigation? i heard from someone else who had nav can choose either the fastest route there.. or the best scenery route so you can see a nice view.. as you get to the location.. i find that quite interesting.
My Pioneer NAV has this feature. As of now its the only aftermarket way to get it. Its called XM NavTraffic.

I dont use it since it cost $10 per month. Not really worth it in Houston.

http://www.xmradio.com/xmnavtraffic/about.jsp

So far my Pioneer NAV works great. Its my stereo and NAV all in one, plus I got it cheaper with the double din kit, than factory NAV.

Last edited by BlackonBlackG35; 06-03-2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:35 PM
My 05 has a stored address book in it.

Old 06-03-2005, 06:21 PM
The '05 Nav zooms in to 1/16th mile.

Old 06-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by JAMN05G
The 05 Navi is sweet. My only complaint is that it does not have a stored address book and it cannot route to intersections (or at least i do not know how make it do so).

Definitely worth the $$ if you do a lot of driving.

Yes it can ..Read the Manual!

Old 06-03-2005, 06:36 PM
how much for an update?
over $100! .. but i got it done free ..... something was wrong with my NAV .. dealer replaced it and gave me the upgraded version.

Old 06-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by ChemEngr
My only disappointment is that it's not touchscreen. My brother's '00 QX had a touchscreen - 5 years old (runs on CDs so it can't have US/Canada on one disk). Back asswards if you ask me. But I love it anyway.

The reason they didn't make it touch screen is because ... the screen will get damaged if u keep touching it billion times a day .... i kinda prefer the buttons and the joystick .. knowing that the screen is being saved... even though i would love the convenience of a touch screen.

Old 06-03-2005, 07:16 PM
The reason they didn't make it touch screen is because ... the screen will get damaged if u keep touching it billion times a day .... i kinda prefer the buttons and the joystick .. knowing that the screen is being saved... even though i would love the convenience of a touch screen.
I thought of that too, but touchscreens these days are practically indestructible. So I don't buy that. I hardly use my Nav but it's my first so the novelty's still there - makes me smile driving home from work and I leave it on. Don't want to get lost you know.

Old 06-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Yeah, not a good excuse for today's touchscreens...think of all the touchscreens used in restaurants by the waitstaff...those things get abused all day every day.

As far as our G Nav goes, it's very convenient to have built-in, but I have to say that the map data really isn't that great, and the interface can be a pain to work with.

I've been spoiled by using a laptop based GPS system with Delorme maps. Their data is absolutely top-notch, the laptop screen is bigger and better resolution, and it's much easier for me to enter addresses with a keyboard than the silly joystick. click-scroll scroll scroll-click-scroll scroll-click-scroll scroll scroll ARGH scroll-click.

Of course, I wouldn't want to lug the laptop/GPS setup around with me all the time, and I do like having the MPG/trip computer/maintenance timers builtin to the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For those who have NAV and uses it..