G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

For those who have NAV and uses it..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 02:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who have NAV and uses it..

how is the G35's Nav system? is it accurate? does it tell you where to go ahead of time so you can make your move? does it tell you the distance til your next turn or whatever? does it find u the fastest route to get there? can you choose different routes like.. routes with scenes.. or a fast route.. blah blah?

alot of questions to get specific answers

Old 06-03-2005, 03:40 AM
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes

Old 06-03-2005, 03:55 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Vision
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes

Old 06-03-2005, 04:13 AM
Originally Posted by accordfreak
yes
yes

Old 06-03-2005, 04:22 AM
Thumbs up

yup! its the ****zzz that nav has helped me alot of times. when you get to those dark roads at night and get see the sign it helps and is right on the $

Old 06-03-2005, 04:36 AM
I just got my 2005 6MT G35 with nav system this past Monday (May 30) and have only tried the nav system out a few times. But I have to say that I've been impressed with the results. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and was impressed by the accuracy of the maps. If you're considering if you should add it as an option or not, I'll give you a quick rundown of what it has and how it worked for me.

If style is your thing, the first thing I have to say is that everyone I have shown my car to is very impressed when I press the nav button and the screen slides up from the center console. Very cool.

As for the features that it has, here is a list of stuff I can recall off the top of my head:

- show gas economy including average miles per gallon, distance until empty, and instantaneous fuel economy (fun if you want to maximize your MPG... or minimize it!) as well as a graph of past economy numbers
- has trip odometer that show distance traveled, time taken, and average speed
- can show you businesses around your current location including ATM, gas stations, restaurants, etc
- a quickly accessible address location for your home to quickly find your way back there
- bird's eye view (shows map at an angle - pseudo 3D) or top down view (traditional 2D map view)
- the usual "input-street-address" navigation function with option to select shortest time or shortest distance

As for the functionality of the navigation system, the few times I've used it I've been impressed by the speed at which it can calculate a route and the speed at which it can adjust the directions if you miss a turn. I've seen some older models that can take minutes to calculate a route. I didn't time my G35's, but it seemed that it took less than 20 seconds for most of my short (< 15mile radius) destinations. As for recalculating a missed turn, it took just a few seconds. As for the accuracy, a friend of my who lives in Fremont,CA punched in his address and was surprised that the nav system gave an obscure exit and turn off a freeway to get to his place. He said that most other mapping services he has used gave directions that when the long way around.

Regarding actual usage, when you've set a destination, the nav system will show a close-up view of the next turn you should take along with a distance to the turn. I don't recall exactly how early it tells you to make a turn, but it was early enough for me to change lanes and get to the correct side of a multi-lane street before the turn. The nice thing about the system is that it shows the name of the street onto which you should turn so you can also look for the street signs.

Overall I've been impressed with the system and am pretty happy that I got it. The only down sides that I see are the cost and that the cabin has a little less storage space since the upper-center console storage compartment houses the Nav screen and the upper glove-box has the DVD reader in it.

The final question is: is it worth the $2k MSRP? After all, there are numerous online mapping services like yahoo maps. For me it was worth it. There have been times that I've been out and have gotten a call from a friend to meet at a place that i have no idea how to get to, or have taken a wrong turn and gotten lost using my printout from yahoo maps, or nearing E on my fuel gauge and can't find a gas station, etc., etc.

One last thing to consider is that the DVD had maps for the entire US and Canada, so if you drive anywhere in these two countries, you'll never be lost!

Old 06-03-2005, 05:25 AM
I must say I too am very impressed with my nav. I have learnt so many new roads and routes since I got my car a month ago. I say get it!

Old 06-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by jlin
I just got my 2005 6MT G35 with nav system this past Monday (May 30) and have only tried the nav system out a few times. But I have to say that I've been impressed with the results. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and was impressed by the accuracy of the maps. If you're considering if you should add it as an option or not, I'll give you a quick rundown of what it has and how it worked for me.

If style is your thing, the first thing I have to say is that everyone I have shown my car to is very impressed when I press the nav button and the screen slides up from the center console. Very cool.

As for the features that it has, here is a list of stuff I can recall off the top of my head:

- show gas economy including average miles per gallon, distance until empty, and instantaneous fuel economy (fun if you want to maximize your MPG... or minimize it!) as well as a graph of past economy numbers
- has trip odometer that show distance traveled, time taken, and average speed
- can show you businesses around your current location including ATM, gas stations, restaurants, etc
- a quickly accessible address location for your home to quickly find your way back there
- bird's eye view (shows map at an angle - pseudo 3D) or top down view (traditional 2D map view)
- the usual "input-street-address" navigation function with option to select shortest time or shortest distance

As for the functionality of the navigation system, the few times I've used it I've been impressed by the speed at which it can calculate a route and the speed at which it can adjust the directions if you miss a turn. I've seen some older models that can take minutes to calculate a route. I didn't time my G35's, but it seemed that it took less than 20 seconds for most of my short (< 15mile radius) destinations. As for recalculating a missed turn, it took just a few seconds. As for the accuracy, a friend of my who lives in Fremont,CA punched in his address and was surprised that the nav system gave an obscure exit and turn off a freeway to get to his place. He said that most other mapping services he has used gave directions that when the long way around.

Regarding actual usage, when you've set a destination, the nav system will show a close-up view of the next turn you should take along with a distance to the turn. I don't recall exactly how early it tells you to make a turn, but it was early enough for me to change lanes and get to the correct side of a multi-lane street before the turn. The nice thing about the system is that it shows the name of the street onto which you should turn so you can also look for the street signs.

Overall I've been impressed with the system and am pretty happy that I got it. The only down sides that I see are the cost and that the cabin has a little less storage space since the upper-center console storage compartment houses the Nav screen and the upper glove-box has the DVD reader in it.

The final question is: is it worth the $2k MSRP? After all, there are numerous online mapping services like yahoo maps. For me it was worth it. There have been times that I've been out and have gotten a call from a friend to meet at a place that i have no idea how to get to, or have taken a wrong turn and gotten lost using my printout from yahoo maps, or nearing E on my fuel gauge and can't find a gas station, etc., etc.

One last thing to consider is that the DVD had maps for the entire US and Canada, so if you drive anywhere in these two countries, you'll never be lost!
now that is what i call an elaborate answer.. nice 2nd post.. and thanks for the info

Old 06-03-2005, 10:41 AM
how does it fare compared to the aftermarket navi though?
namely the pioneers, kenwoods and eclipses

Old 06-03-2005, 02:01 PM
Gangster Member
i wish i had the patience to right essay questions like that, your a good guy

Old 06-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Bruce Gee
If you can afford the extra 2K option, get it! No regrets here!

Old 06-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by TheGest
i wish i had the patience to right essay questions like that, your a good guy
I couldn't sleep last night so I was checking out the forums... I gotta say this, writing that thing sure cured my Insomenia! :P

Old 06-03-2005, 02:33 PM
Cmon Son!
I second all of this. the Navi option has shown me routes that have saved me a good deal of miles and especially time between locations. ITs funny when you end up using your home as the destination most of the time. I will go places and think I know the best way to get home when I really dont heh.

Old 06-03-2005, 02:44 PM
I like our NAV's it gets our job done .. but i was in my friends brand new Toyota Solara the other day ... and his NAV even showed up how much traffic is on the roads ... etc etc... We dont have that option in our NAVs and ... it would be cool if we had it as well .. but i still love it ... gets me places without getting lost

Old 06-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by arjunz
I like our NAV's it gets our job done .. but i was in my friends brand new Toyota Solara the other day ... and his NAV even showed up how much traffic is on the roads ... etc etc... We dont have that option in our NAVs and ... it would be cool if we had it as well .. but i still love it ... gets me places without getting lost
wow hard to believe a toyota has a nav that shows how much traffic there is and an infiniti don't ... maybe in the next DVD update...

can you choose routes on the navigation? i heard from someone else who had nav can choose either the fastest route there.. or the best scenery route so you can see a nice view.. as you get to the location.. i find that quite interesting.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For those who have NAV and uses it..