G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Is Navi worth $2K?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 02:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Navi worth $2K?

Hello all,
Still pondering about Navi system. To me I don't think it's worth $2K for the system. I have Acura MDX with Navi and it is great. It has a back up camera, touch screen, voice recognition system and is very user friendly. Also if I ask "what time is it?" then it answers correct time and it freaks all my friends.

Now does the system have voice guidance system to let me know when to make turns?

Do you think there is more negotiating room for G with Navi because it may not in such a high demand?

What other functions does it have beside bird eye view?

Thanks in advance.

Good nite.

Old 06-05-2005, 04:25 AM
Well it depends how much you need it. As for the coupes, I have an 04 and it doesn't have voice recognition so you can't ask it to tell you the time. However, there is a voice guidance system that tells you when to make turns and so forth. Besides, if you're viewing the map, theres a clock on the upper right hand so you can always glance over and check it out. Don't be so lazy! Haha!

As for the functions, it serves also as a trip computer and can also monitor your Fuel Efficiency so if you want to achieve certain MPG then you can kinda keep your foot on the gas at the RIGHT spot and it will help you achieve that goal. It can also help you find Rest stops, ATMs, Gas stations, restaurants and so forth.

Besides, if you're getting the 05, how cool is it to start up your car, and have a screen slide up automatically? And then when shutting off your car, slowly slide back into the compartment out of view? I think that's a good enough reason if you have the money!!!

Old 06-05-2005, 04:52 AM
When I was buying my '04 I couldn't find one anywhere with navi, so i settled, assuming i wouldn't really use it anyway.... It makes my car feel cheap, even though navi is the only thing it lacks... get the navi... even if you don't need it, it makes the interior of the car feel nicer, and it looks so hot... if you're spending $36 g's anyway... what's two more?

Last edited by Booooz; 08-15-2005 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:15 AM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree it looks cool and it's of great help if you travel a lot, those who tell you that you don't need it are the ones that never had it. That being said, I think 2k more towards your IRA would be a much better investment. There was a thread about how often people use their Navi and I was amazed at how many don't even have the screen up most of the time. The other thing is that Navi helps the resale value of your car very little if any, so don't expect to get anywhere near an extra 2 grand when the time comes to sell your car. If right now I were to spend the money on my car, I'd much rather use it towards wheels than get the navigation.

As far as negotiating, the dealer will usually have the upper hand because they always tell you that Navi is so rare you won't be able to find it anywhere with this and this exterior color.. That's what happened to me.

Old 06-05-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by o1owest
Hello all,
Still pondering about Navi system. To me I don't think it's worth $2K for the system. I have Acura MDX with Navi and it is great. It has a back up camera, touch screen, voice recognition system and is very user friendly. Also if I ask "what time is it?" then it answers correct time and it freaks all my friends.

Now does the system have voice guidance system to let me know when to make turns?

Do you think there is more negotiating room for G with Navi because it may not in such a high demand?

What other functions does it have beside bird eye view?

Thanks in advance.

Good nite.

Do not get the nav system. There are MUCH better solutions. I have the portable Navman ICN. I've compared it to alot of in car systems and none of them come close to it.

Navman is $300, portable, updatable, and has much better features. In fact its the only one with a 3D view.

Old 06-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
I've probably only used my NAVI the first three months I own the car, I usually don't do long roadtrips though. Ask yourself this, how often do I ask for directions or look at an road map to see where the hell I'm going? I probably forgot how to operate the NAVI now.........

Old 06-05-2005, 11:19 AM
100% worth it, would not buy a car without one anymore. Very useful when on trips that you do not know where the hell anything is you type it in, Bam, you now have directions in a couple minutes. Its truly great. I was in Tennessee and needed a drug store it showed me where the nearest CVS store was in seconds. You will definitely regret it if you dont get it. The stock system is great doesnt look artificial like those aftermarket ones do. Just pops right up for you out of the console with a fairly large screen. Not to mention its great for resale when you decide to sell it. Well worth as someone said whats a couple more K when spending 35K anyways. Just get it

Old 06-05-2005, 11:19 AM
gtr proto test driver
definitely worth it

Old 06-05-2005, 11:40 AM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the Nav is great if you are active. Going on a road trip and finding out exactly where you need to go on a moments notice is the bomb...no more worrying about directions or asking people. Really gives you a sense of freedom

Old 06-05-2005, 12:40 PM
mrb
I wouldn't buy it just because you have to get the premium package first, before you can get Navi. In my rational (different than most), that is $4500 smacks for a crappy stereo system, NAV, and some gimmicky/unneeded options that I won't use. I passed on both and will be ordering my own Nav double din unit (Pioneer or Eclipse), and either looks as good as OEM. So no, I wouldn't get it, or the Premium package, and I'd replace the factory stereo, it sucks. The Pioneer (D1 I think it is) can be had for $1200-1300, it has a 6.5 inch screen, Navi, plays MP3's, does Sirius/XM, has an IPOD interface, and you can add a rearview camera and a DVD player if you like. It's also going to sound clean and crisp unlike the factory crap. Even if you buy a G with the premium package, you are still better off going aftermarket ($1300-2000) because you'll have much more options with the headunit and it will sound pro audio quality unlike the factory unit and you can retain steering wheel controls if you like as well. Good luck.

Old 06-05-2005, 01:12 PM
I think it looks great. And it certainly offers some nice functions for the car. But for NAV, its not all that hot. I test drove with NAV and brought my PDA too. My PDA has Iguidance v2 and it kicked the OEM Nav's butt. The NavTeq data is about 2 quarters behind aftermarket. There was a time that birdseye was unique, but now everyone has it. There was a time that NAV which read the actual speed sensor had an advantage over GPS only when under bridges or tunnels, but now Sirf III is out and in some ways Sirf III is more accurate (depending on conditions). Even the Pioneer and Kenwood aftermarket are much better in my testing.

But no one can argue the OEM looks and integration, the OEM nav certainly has a cool factor. The resale is questionable. The last time I checked, it yields about $750 more resale than one without. But I didnt (and still dont) think its worth 2K. but everyone's expectations and sense of value are different. If you want it, maybe you can get them to come closer to invoice, which is $1600-1700 I think.

Old 06-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't use my G35C to explore new roads so I didn't need a nav on this car.

I typically take my other car to explore new roads to make sure the road itself
is not filled with pot holes that could damage my wheels, etc. on my weekend
cars.

Old 06-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adds to the great resell value as well, so don't regret getting it people once you already have it and dont use it. And you can always do the NAV to DVD conversion so you can watch DVDs.

Old 06-05-2005, 04:04 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Best option I ever bought. Yes it's worth every penny to me.
C.

Old 06-05-2005, 04:10 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gee Im Fast
Adds to the great resell value as well, so don't regret getting it people once you already have it and dont use it. And you can always do the NAV to DVD conversion so you can watch DVDs.
i dont buy this argument... so many people say this.. but so what if it adds to the resale value.. you paid 2K for it.. the most it can possibly add is maybe 1500. you're still out 500 as opposed to not getting it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is Navi worth $2K?