G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

What 6 layers of Zaino looks like... (PIX)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
Mother's carnuba lasts longer than any synthetic I've ever used, and I've used just about all of them. I like to lay down a coat of polish and then a coat of Mother's. I usually get pissed because I want to wax my car but she doesn't need it. NOTHING sticks to the surface - not even south Texas bird$hit.
Which synthetic waxes/sealants have you used? Have you tried Klasse, Menzerna FMJ, Zaino, CrystalGuard?

Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
1 coat of Mother's sealer glaze, and 1 coat of Mother's carnuba. Now she has about 4 coats of carnuba. Dust won't even settle she's so slick. LOL..
Dust attraction is caused by static created my applying/removing product and since carnuba melts at a lower temprature it will attract dust like a magnet in the heat.

Has nothing to do with how slick the surface is....

Last edited by BlackonBlackG35; 06-24-2005 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by GT-Ron
BoBG35 - How many bonnets do you go through to remove each coat of Zaino?

I only recently decided against the PC buffer because Zaino is supposed to come off so easily. Still, removing wax is always the hardest part, so anything that reduces the time and effort it takes is worth a look, IMO.
About one bonnet inside and out per layer.

Old 06-24-2005, 01:35 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackonBlackG35
Which synthetic waxes/sealants have you used? Have you tried Klasse, Menzerna FMJ, Zaino, CrystalGuard?
Sealants - only Mother's sealant glaze - seems to work very nicely
Waxes - Crystalguard, Klasse, and NXT. A friend of mine uses Menzerna and I was considering giving it a try the next time I claybar the G. Dunno though - the Mother's seems to work great.

Waxes - dozens - all the standards over the years - Meguairs 3 step, Gold Class, Liquid Crystal (back in the old days), Cherry's Wet, and on and on.

Dunno - really pleased with the shine and durability of the Mother's. I went the Zaino route a while back and I'm not convinced all the work is worth the results. The cars look great - don't take that the wrong way.

I stated in another thread - I'm a chronic waxer. If I wash my car and the water doesn't roll off the surface just so, the car is getting a coat. No kidding. I don't mind the process - I find it helps me keep track of the material condition of the car and the areas that need attention.

Old 06-24-2005, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Gee,

Forgive me for such a newb question...but what is and what does the sealant do? Is it like a paint cleaner such as the Meguiars stuff? TIA for the info...I'm still a newb at detailing..

Old 06-24-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Infinite1
Hey Gee,

Forgive me for such a newb question...but what is and what does the sealant do? Is it like a paint cleaner such as the Meguiars stuff? TIA for the info...I'm still a newb at detailing..
There are only two means of paint protection: waxing and sealing. Traditionally, the much sought-after, liquid-like, deep shine is attained through a pure carnauba paste wax. But, even car buffs will admit that carnaubas are moderately difficult and time consuming (up to twelve hours to cure!), tend to streak, haze, and deteriorate in high humidity and temperatures, and most have solvents that eventually dry and dull paint. The biggest complaint concerning waxes is their short life span of eight to ten weeks, at best.

Liquid paint sealants, unlike waxes, are quick and easy to apply (under an hour), suitable for extreme climates, resistant to salt, UV rays, and humidity. The most dramatic difference between a paint sealant and a paste wax is the duration of the protection it offers. A paint sealant lasts five to six months, even in the southern-most states. The biggest complaint about typical paint sealants is the cold, superficial shine.

Old 06-24-2005, 02:11 PM
AFAIK wax will only build up one layer thick. You can't build up more than one layer of wax, the molecules are too slippery and flat I think. I don't think that holds for the polymer based finish protector products though.

Old 06-24-2005, 05:09 PM
There are only two means of paint protection: waxing and sealing. Traditionally, the much sought-after, liquid-like, deep shine is attained through a pure carnauba paste wax. But, even car buffs will admit that carnaubas are moderately difficult and time consuming (up to twelve hours to cure!), tend to streak, haze, and deteriorate in high humidity and temperatures, and most have solvents that eventually dry and dull paint. The biggest complaint concerning waxes is their short life span of eight to ten weeks, at best.

Liquid paint sealants, unlike waxes, are quick and easy to apply (under an hour), suitable for extreme climates, resistant to salt, UV rays, and humidity. The most dramatic difference between a paint sealant and a paste wax is the duration of the protection it offers. A paint sealant lasts five to six months, even in the southern-most states. The biggest complaint about typical paint sealants is the cold, superficial shine.
Thanks BoBG35 for the info!

Old 06-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 94gxe
AFAIK wax will only build up one layer thick. You can't build up more than one layer of wax, the molecules are too slippery and flat I think. I don't think that holds for the polymer based finish protector products though.
Normal wax yes, but not Zaino.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by cryhavok
Here is my car with 1 coat of NXT... [pics of shiniest car I've ever seen follow]
Your car looks great. Not to denigrate all the other folks who spent a good portion of their adult lives rubbing 27 coats of Zaino on their machines -- hey, it's a free country -- but yours looks shinier than all of them. You've clearly learned the busy man's mantra: Work smart, not hard.

Old 06-25-2005, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by JKWright
Your car looks great. Not to denigrate all the other folks who spent a good portion of their adult lives rubbing 27 coats of Zaino on their machines -- hey, it's a free country -- but yours looks shinier than all of them. You've clearly learned the busy man's mantra: Work smart, not hard.
3 layers of zaino lasts 6 months, 1 layer of NXT lasts about 2 weeks.

If you want the same level of protection as Zaino it will take 12 layers of NXT...

Old 06-25-2005, 12:59 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Im gettin hot with all these waxed black G's!

Old 06-25-2005, 06:33 PM
2 coats of Zaino 2 w/ZFX. Love the stuff.

Old 06-25-2005, 08:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChazM
do you really think 6 layers is necessary? I think it looks the same as my G when cleaned.

lmao!!! i would also rather be motoring than spend the time coating
5 additional layers. My car using NXT shines just as much using one coat...
and when shiny noone's gonna care who's car is shiner imho.

Old 06-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
lmao!!! i would also rather be motoring than spend the time coating
5 additional layers. My car using NXT shines just as much using one coat...
and when shiny noone's gonna care who's car is shiner imho.
Sure NXT wax shines, but for how long? Why do I feel like I keep repeating myself....

Old 06-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sure NXT wax shines, but for how long? Why do I feel like I keep repeating myself....

At least 3months in my case.

because you're too hung up on Zaino and don't migrate onto
easier polymer waxes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What 6 layers of Zaino looks like... (PIX)