G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

4th of July Speeding Ticket, Hurrah

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th of July Speeding Ticket, Hurrah

Yes yes, worst weekend to be speeding, cops are on the prowl, I know. It was unintentional . I was coming from the canyons and there were 3 slow cars ahead of me. I spot a sign telling me there was going to be a passing lane 2000 feet ahead. Overjoyed, I enter the passing lane and fly by the three slow-pokes. Upon creeping over a hill, I spot a cop on the opposite side of the road, just waiting for me, but it was already too late.

76mph in a 50mph. I have already done traffic school and this will be my second point. Insurance is going to kill.

What are the reprocussions of contesting the violation and losing? Do I bigger fine for having pled innocent and being proven guilty?

Old 07-05-2005, 07:58 PM
from what i've heard (note: i haven't done it myself yet!)

even if you are convicted or say you are guilty, you still wanna ask the judge for traffic school... the judge more then likely will say yes, because it's more money for the court (remember: the court gets around $29 or so, just for you to sign up for traffic school)... soooo, it wouldn't hurt to get traffic school...

if i was at home, i'd post the link to where i read that...

but good luck with court...

Old 07-05-2005, 08:02 PM
From what people say, if you contest the violation without admitting guilt during your first court date, then you get a second court date where the cop shows up. If he doesn't show up, you're off. If he does show up, you setup an argument (and I will probably lose since he clocked me). What I'm wondering is, what is the difference between admitting guilt initially and being proven guilty by the cop? There must be a bigger fine or something, otherwise everyone would do it.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slip
There must be a bigger fine or something, otherwise everyone would do it.
No, because most people are too lazy to contest the ticket. When a friend took traffic school in california for a speeding ticket, one of the police officers there, said that they drop photo-tickets when people contest them in court, because there is no "witness" for the prosecution. He said even knowing that, most people still don't contest them, because they're too lazy.

With that being said..... If you plead not guilty, and go to court, usually even if you are found guilty, they cut down on your fine, which wouldn't have happened if you just sent your check in the mail with your ticket, (which is what most people do, according to that cop)

Old 07-05-2005, 08:07 PM
JJH
I guess it depends on your state and local laws. We have a bunch of traffic lawyers here that can pretty much eliminate a speeding ticket for about $70. I used them once and paid the lawyer, about $40 for court costs, and got a withhold of adjudication (basically no points, and not guilty).

Old 07-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by slip
Yes yes, worst weekend to be speeding, cops are on the prowl, I know. It was unintentional . I was coming from the canyons and there were 3 slow cars ahead of me. I spot a sign telling me there was going to be a passing lane 2000 feet ahead. Overjoyed, I enter the passing lane and fly by the three slow-pokes. Upon creeping over a hill, I spot a cop on the opposite side of the road, just waiting for me, but it was already too late.

76mph in a 50mph. I have already done traffic school and this will be my second point. Insurance is going to kill.

What are the reprocussions of contesting the violation and losing? Do I bigger fine for having pled innocent and being proven guilty?
i feel you bro, i'm contesting a citation of my own.
from research, here's an advice i can give you:

http://ticketassassin.com/

download a form to request for a written trial, pleading not guilty.
the donut dunkers receive overtime pay for showing up in court, so when you request a written trial, they get jack for submitting their case in writing.
many of them have better things to do than to type up something that they won't even get paid for.
use the laws on the http://ticketassassin.com/ site to explain your case.
a written trial gives the judge more time to access your case.
also, he won't be in front of a crowd to sway and give you a guilty verdict, since the cop will be there and also other speeders.
even if you lose, you can request a trial by appearance.
the whole process delays the case, which benefits you since by the second trial the cop might not be there or he will forget the facts of the incident.
and even if you lose then you can request traffic school.
but i heard you can only do it once every 18 months, so if you just went through one, tough luck and pay the insurance hike.

don't take this lying down; traffic citations are one of the biggest payoffs for the city, so it's just another excuse to rob you.
fight these SOBs who have nothing better to do but sit in their cars with a radar gun in one hand and a donut in the other.
(can you tell i hate cops? lol)

hope this helps!

Last edited by rhythmnblue™; 07-05-2005 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Too funny.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

don't take this lying down; traffic citations are one of the biggest payoffs for the city, so it's just another excuse to rob you.
No $hit. This guy was only going 26 over the limit, what were the cops thinking? Surely it isn't his fault. Damn cops just looking for a payoff.

Please.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
No $hit. This guy was only going 26 over the limit, what were the cops thinking? Surely it isn't his fault. Damn cops just looking for a payoff.

Please.
hm, funny, so you've never sped in your life?
what makes you so different from him?
just the fact that you haven't got caught?

don't give me this justitication BS.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:34 PM
invest in a radar detector

Old 07-05-2005, 08:35 PM
My horns hold up my halo
If you're guilty pay the ticket and get over it. If you're not then fight it. We all play and when you get caught you pay.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by rhythmnblue™
that's exactly the site i had on my 'favorites' folder! lol

Old 07-05-2005, 08:55 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Originally Posted by rhythmnblue™
hm, funny, so you've never sped in your life?
what makes you so different from him?
just the fact that you haven't got caught?

don't give me this justitication BS.
Yeah, I've sped. Not 26 over on a holiday weekend - that's plain stupid and begging to get popped.

Haven't had a ticket in a long, long time. (25 years?) The difference is I play, and then I pay. I don't try to wiggle out of $hit I know I'm guilty of, and I don't whine about the cops.

If this were a ticket for three over I'd feel for him. 26 over? Please. He's lucky he isn't in jail. Grow up.

What is "justitication?" I thought it was a word I hadn't heard before, but dictionary.com has no clue either.

Last edited by GeeWillikers; 07-05-2005 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:02 PM
we ALL know speeding is wrong, plain and simple...

but if i had a chance to get out of that speeding ticket without paying and the only time being wasted is my time, then i'd be all up for it and give it a try...

i hope the discussion ends...

Old 07-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Just pay the ticket and get over it. You're waisting the public's money by using up court and police time to contest something of which you admit you're guilty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 4th of July Speeding Ticket, Hurrah